Legion A vs Legion B

Legion A vs Legion B

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on the two classes. At the beginning of the season I didn't know what to expect. After watching the season play out, I think there are still some opportunities for improvement. There were a few close games between the bigger towns 16 year olds, but the majority of the games were blow outs. Thompson, Nelson County, and Carrington would all be at the top in the A Division. It was nice that the B Champions are getting the opportunity to advance to the Central Plains Regional.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Legion A vs Legion B

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 pm

I agree, the top 'B' teams would have no problem competing in the A division this year. I don't love having three classes of Legion baseball in the State. Move the top enrollments in A up to AA and let the rest duke it out.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EEDA » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:34 pm

First of all, a city the size of Bismarck should have at least 2 if not 3 teams in AA. There are 5 high school baseball teams in Bismarck, yet there is only 1 AA Legion team. That being said, it's generally the case in all sports in North Dakota, that the top teams in a lower class can compete against teams in the next higher class. Teams mentioned in the post by Rivershark have a strong baseball tradition and youth program. Teams have the option to opt up in Legion baseball as they can in high school football. Opting up from A to AA is quite a jump. Going from class B to A isn't as big a jump. But as stated earlier, there are many blowouts in class B Legion baseball. Neither team improves themselves in a 20 - 0 game. Top teams in class B would better serve their baseball programs by opting up to class A if given the chance. Being from the western part of the state,
I know that Beulah could be playing B Legion, but has chosen to play class A.
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 pm

So does the winner of B state play winner of A state for the chance to advance? That's the way it should be IMO
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EEDA » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 pm

I believe the A and B champs used to meet in a one game playoff. The past couple of years both champs advanced.
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm

I believe both advance this year.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:13 am

It's been different every year for probably the last 4 years on whether the B Champs can advance or not. There are a lot of unknowns that the general public is unaware of. I'm definitely not in favor of a one game playoff between the A and B Champs. If the B teams feel they can beat the A teams, then move up to the A division. The restructuring of the divisions makes me wonder if a B team even has the option of moving up to the A Division.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

You probably could mix the A and B tournament and one year a B would win and the next an A. Not a lot of difference from the teams in B that make state to the A . Park river was an Inning away from beating #2 seeded AA Fargo post 2. Maybe not as much difference
all the way? And I think Sandy was pitching that game? I understand three classes for the sake of teams blowing out other teams. And how do we get Baseball back to a sport kids want to play? It starts at the lower levels. You have to get High school kids (stars) to coach T-ball etc. Make the game fun again! If you love the game you have to give back a little? There are many ways to get kids HOOKED! on baseball. A good thing to be hooked on IMO! Many thanks to the Legionairs ! Thanks for supporting baseball and local communities. We all appreciate it.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:34 am

madseason wrote:You probably could mix the A and B tournament and one year a B would win and the next an A. Not a lot of difference from the teams in B that make state to the A . Park river was an Inning away from beating #2 seeded AA Fargo post 2. Maybe not as much difference
all the way? And I think Sandy was pitching that game? I understand three classes for the sake of teams blowing out other teams. And how do we get Baseball back to a sport kids want to play? It starts at the lower levels. You have to get High school kids (stars) to coach T-ball etc. Make the game fun again! If you love the game you have to give back a little? There are many ways to get kids HOOKED! on baseball. A good thing to be hooked on IMO! Many thanks to the Legionairs ! Thanks for supporting baseball and local communities. We all appreciate it.

Great post. Would like to also give props to Langdon for the great job they did with the tourney last week. American flags on every post around the field. 4 large flags across the top of the scoreboard in the outfield. The smell of burgers and brats drifting through the air. Watching top notch baseball being played by great kids and being able to listen to great play by play on the radio at the same time. A-one facility and staff. What a great event to watch. Kudos.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Return to Class B