*G12: NE#1 Thompson def. NE#2 Langdon 6-5 F/8
*G13: C#1 Carrington def. SE#2 Enderlin 9-0

Sunday, August 3rd
G14: C#1 Carrington def. NE#1 Thompson 18-6
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2014 Class B Legion State Tourney

Postby ihavenoidea » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 am

You can find the complete bracket and more State B Tournament information here on the tournament website... myborderland.com/baseball... Also KNDK AM 1080 in Langdon will be broadcasting every game... The internet link for the webcast is also on the website...
ihavenoidea
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:05 pm

Question for someone from Langdon/State Legion: How does a town get a State Tournament with NO available hotel rooms? Even the TEAMS don't have rooms...The Carrington kids are sleeping on the floor of a Parrish Hall! Unless, I don't know "the rest of the story" this is POOR FORM on behalf of the city of Langdon and the State Legion. Unbelievable actually...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 am

Not saying Langdon doesn't run a good tournament...I was just questioning the Motel/Hotel situation as there are none available. That includes none available for the teams!

Also...Has anyone looked at the bracket on the tournament website? myborderland.com/baseball Shouldn't the winners of games 9 and 10 play, then the winner of that game play the loser of game 11? Or am I looking at that wrong...

Run's scenario above has the same problem: If Carrington or Thompson loses Game 13, there is no where for them to go and they would only have one loss. The Winner of Game 11 should be advancing to the championship, not another semi final. That tournament bracket is definately jacked up.
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby berry186 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 am

its a true double elimination tourney winner of game 11 is automatically in championship but will play a game saturday no matter what against a team they havent played. so if winner of game 11 loses on saturday then we will have a one game championship
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:20 am

berry186 wrote:its a true double elimination tourney winner of game 11 is automatically in championship but will play a game saturday no matter what against a team they havent played. so if winner of game 11 loses on saturday then we will have a one game championship

I understand, but that is not what the bracket shows...The bracket shows the winner of game 11 playing another semi final. Same as Run's scenario above, the winner of game 11 should advance to Game 14 and the loser playing the winner of the games 9 and 10 winners. In the scenario above AND on the website, if Carrington or Thompson loses Game 13, there is no where for them to go and they will only have one loss.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:18 am

Game 13 looser if it is unbeaten team is shown on bracket it goes right to the championship game line on Sunday Awaiting the winner of game 14 to play the championship. If looser of game is from looser out bracket they are finished and winner of game 13 goes and plays in game 14 for the championship where they would have to be beat twice from other looser out bracket.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:44 am

Oldtimer...Where is that bracket you are looking at? (At the tournament maybe?) The tournament bracket on the website has the loser of Game 13 going nowhere.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this bracket. Maybe in the end, it accomplishes the same result, I've just never seen a State Tournament bracket like this one.

SCC...If what you are saying is true... fine, but the way it is printed on the website listed here, if Carrington Wins and Enderlin wins they would play again in this bracket.

Can anyone point me to an official bracket?
Last edited by NodakQ2 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:02 am

scc wrote:Regardless of how the bracket is printed, the teams are reordered based on who has or hasn't faced each other in the earlier rounds. The undefeated team plays the last game of day 4.

Ok...I got some clarification here. Scc, you are correct. This is like the original College World Series Bracket. The printed brackets just aren't quite correct on the website because there is no way of knowing who will play who at this point depending on who you've already played. I totally get what they are doing now, you just can't go by the printed bracket because it will probably change based on common opponets.

Thanks for clarification B-oldtimer and SCC. The printed bracket just really had me confused.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 am

Look at Game 15 if The looser of game 13 is unbeaten team it goes to line below line below from winner of game 14 I believe some of explanation was cut of in printing their but its like it has been in the past. Also this way the looser out teams only play one more game than winner bracket and teams only play one game a day except for possibility in championship day. The way you propose to play it would be that looser out would need to play two more games and play last two days of tournament twice. Also this makes it fair for all the teams in that if by chance say two best teams met on first day the looser would have reasonable chance to get back to championship game.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:41 am

B-oldtimer wrote:Look at Game 15 if The looser of game 13 is unbeaten team it goes to line below line below from winner of game 14 I believe some of explanation was cut of in printing their but its like it has been in the past. Also this way the looser out teams only play one more game than winner bracket and teams only play one game a day except for possibility in championship day. The way you propose to play it would be that looser out would need to play two more games and play last two days of tournament twice. Also this makes it fair for all the teams in that if by chance say two best teams met on first day the looser would have reasonable chance to get back to championship game.

Agreed...Like I said, the listed bracket just had me confused. I realize now that this is how the Legion tournaments have been in the past and is probably the fairest method of determining the champion. Everyone just has to keep in mind that the bracket gets "reshuffled" if necessary after today. Thanks again for the clarification.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 pm

please quit spelling "loser" with 2 "o's"
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 pm

scc wrote:
scc wrote:Regardless of how the bracket is printed, the teams are reordered based on who has or hasn't faced each other in the earlier rounds. The undefeated team plays the last game of day 4.

I should mention, it's been done this way at the state tournament for many years.

That was my question that no one would/could answer yesterday. I had two people tell me my bracket was 100% right even though I knew the scenario for today could play it differently.

I'll make the changes when necessary on the bracket above.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 pm

IMO, what happened today is what is wrong with this type of bracket. Langdon and Enderlin won. Carrington has already beat both Langdon and Enderlin. So...Win or Lose for Carrington tonight, would they play Langdon tomorrow because they beat them first? Or what is the protocol exactly? At least with the other form of Double Elimination you always know where you stand in the bracketing and is MUCH more fan friendly.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:13 pm

This is the style of double elimination that is used across the nation in American Legion...All Regional Tourneys are run this way.

No disagreements...the other style is easier to understand by the common follower.

Its tournament director's decision on who Carrington is to play...so we'll live it to that person.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Yeah...Everyone at the tourney is confused on why Carrington is now playing Enderlin as Langdon was Carrington's first opponet and Thompson hasn't played either team. Doesn't appear as though "protocol" is being followed. In fact it sounds like the tournament committee decided AFTER the game! But like SCC said, it is what it is. There has to be protocol for this situation, and I don't think it is being followed.

Run...I understand that this is how Legion tourney's are played across the country, but I don't have to like it... :? I THOUGHT I understood the system, until the tournament committee decided that Carrington is to play Enderlin...In the end I guess the results are the same no matter who plays who tomorrow. Maybe just a different order of opponets.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ihavenoidea » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 pm

The tourney schedule for tomorrow is Langdon versus Thompson at 2pm, and Carrington against Enderlin at 5pm... The decision was made by Umpire in Chief Tom Perius and the tournament manager... And to the person who is losing his mind about the housing situation, teams were put in host homes to leave as many rooms as possible open for fans... Carrington is staying in a brand new parish hall that is fully air conditioned, and has a great shower facility... I can assure you they are not sleeping on the floor... They love it there to quote one of the parents... All the teams are having a blast... As usual on this thing people need to be better informed before they post such off the cuff nonsense... Hats off to the Langdon Tournament Committee on running a fantastic tourney... Top shelf all the way... First time I've ever seen a fly over at open ceremonies... :)
ihavenoidea
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:34 pm

Noidea...Do you happen to know how the two decided who would play who as it doesn't appear normal protocol was followed? Or is there no protocol for the situation? Just curious and you seem to be "in the know"...

As far as the housing situation goes, I'm glad you could shed light on that as well, but I can assure you I was not losing my mind over the situation. There were a lot of rumors flying around about the situation in Langdon and I'm glad they appear to not be true and everyone is having a good time. The hotel thing still does not make total sense as I know plenty of parents that could not get rooms. But as long as everyone (the teams) are happy and everyone is having a good time, that is all that matters. I don't think anything I said was "nonsense" as you said yourself that teams aren't in a hotel and Carrington is sleeping in a Parrish Hall...And again, the fact that they are all happy is all that matters.

Hats off to the Langdon Tournament Committee...those people put in a ton of hours for what is many times a thankless job.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Wahpeton def. Carrington 10-0 to advance to the Division II Regional starting on Thursday in SD
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Class B