Region 3

Region 3

Postby FishingBoy09 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Any predictions on region 3?
FishingBoy09
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Region 3

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Region 3 this year I think New Rockford and Midkota have the most returning players and expect both of them to compete for region title. Also Carrington lost a lot last year but with their numbers and what was returning probably be in the mix. Dakota Prairie lost number of seniors last year and were quite young after that they will be down but they do possess couple of good arms yet. Lakota-Edmore lost a lot of seniors last year and will be young team and will be looking for pitching this season. Medina looked young and in experienced last year could be better this year still long way to get competitive. If we get normal spring this year it will be interesting how these teams develop. Not the dominating teams we had in past several years in the region all the teams have weaknesses. Might be surprised who comes forth at tournament time.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FishingBoy09 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 am

I'd say it should look like this
(Updated May 12)
1. Midkota
2. Carrington
3. New Rockford
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Lakota/Edmore
6. Medina/Pingree/Buchanan
Last edited by FishingBoy09 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishingBoy09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06 pm

New Rockford has looked good offensively. Midkota has an ace and Carrington has been pretty solid also. Could be fun at the end of the year.
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:53 pm

I've seen all these teams play and this Region is up for grabs. Midkota is probably the favorite, but New Rockford and Carrington will be right there till the end. Carrington beat New Rockford handily Saturday but lost to them in extra innings last week. Carrington has played two close games with Midkota. Mid Kota and NR play this week. The Regional Tourney is going to be a great one and will come down to pitching.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed May 07, 2014 5:22 pm

I agree that Midkota is the favorite but it could be interesting regional before its done. Some of other teams if they get good pitching performance could pull upset and if you got couple of upsets no team is that deep in pitching this year. Most of the teams are quite young and playing with inexperienced players. Midkota is the most experienced team and have most pitching. My guess is that DP or Lakota-edmore may pull upset of New Rockford or Carrington in the Tournament. Also combine this with Carrington or New Rockford upsetting say Midkota and the outcome of tournament could be up for grabs for couple of teams.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:09 pm

I just don't see DP or Lakota competing for the title...I believe Carrington 10 run ruled both of them last week. As far as pitching depth goes, the top three teams have some pretty solid pitching depth. An upset could definitely happen anytime along the way, but this is a three horse race IMO...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri May 09, 2014 12:08 pm

I wasn't saying they would be competing for a title but given a game they may pull off upset that would put one of the top three teams in loser bracket quicker than they expected thus using up more pitching. I have seen this before and final out come of top three could be determined by something like this. What I have seen of this years teams the depth of pitching is not like it has been in the past. Midkota has most pitching of the top three and are most experienced but everyone else is relatively young and in experienced.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 pm

I agree with the upset part, but disagree with Midkota being the most experienced. They are as young as the other two teams. None of these teams loses much next year. In fact I think both teams lose one pivotal guy each. (Hoyt for Midkota and Freeman for Carrington) Carrington has at least 4 guys that have played in two State tournaments. This region is gonna have the same race next year as it is loaded with Juniors.

Carrington beat Midkota in another close game tonight 8-7. Their three games this year have been 6-5 Midkota, 8-5 Midkota and 8-7 Carrington. Carrington and New Rockford split. Monday night New Rockford was ahead of Midkota 10-1 in the 4th and got beat 19-12. They have one game left (Monday I believe) to decide 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds.

As far as pitching goes, I give the depth nod to Carrington, but Midkota's top three are very consistent. Come to think of it, Carrington's top 3 aren't bad either as are 4 and 5. New Rockford probably has the least depth in pitching out of the three but does have potentially the best "ace" in GIllis when the control is there.

Like I said before, this is gonna be a fun regional if these three teams stay healthy.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FishingBoy09 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:23 pm

For New Rockford it'll come down to hitting. For Midkota and Carrington it'll come down to pitching and the bottom of the order. I'd say Midkota is probably the favorite but Carrington and New Rockford are competive as well. Midkota plays Medina/Pingree/Buchanan in a doubleheader on Tuesday if Midkota wins 1 of the 2 I think they clinch the 1 seed heading into the tournament. Should be a fun tournament to watch!
FishingBoy09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:51 pm

With still a day remaining, if you watched many games at all in this Regional, you've got your money's worth. As suspected, we are down to Midkota, Carrington and New Rockford.

New Rockford had Midkota down 4-1 in the bottom of the 7th tonight but lost 5-4 in 8. Last night Carrington and New Rockford had a pitching duel go right to the bottom of the 7th with NR coming out on top 3-2 with Carrington leaving the bases loaded to end the game.

Guessing we will see the two aces for NR and Carrington square off to Thursday with the winners having the tough task of beating Midkota twice. All three teams have some pitching left, but will NR or Carrington have enough left in the tank to win three games in one day, is the question. Should be another great day of baseball. :D
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:05 pm

WOW...What a final day of baseball in Region 3

In Game 1 New Rockford led Carrington 6-0 late in the game...Carrington scores 11 straight to win 11-6

In the Championship Carrington led Midkota 5-3 in the 5th. Midkota Scores 8 in the 5th to go up 11-5 and Carrington comes back with 4 more late and leaves the tying runner on second to end the game 11-9. This game was a slugfest with almost 30 hits recorded.

Midkota will represent Region 3 well. Congrats to Midkota coach Rick Christensen Coach of the Year and Patrick Freeman of Carrington as Senior of the year.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Class B