Top Pitchers around the State

Re: Top Pitchers around the State

Postby baseball1402 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

I was going to ask him the other day when we played them but i forgot, that kid needs to play college baseball, i've never watched him in any other sport so i wouldn't know how good he is in any of those, but he rakes at the plate. The kids got a sweet swing
baseball1402
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am

ILoveBaseball21 wrote:
baseball1402 wrote:Bresnahan doesn't throw smoke, he is a very good pitcher, but i don't think he throws smoke. He has very good off speed and he knows how to spot his pitches. He is extremely effective and he will probably win all his ball games this year, but not throwing smoke. I love the people who say that Trenton Olson throws 88-89 MPH. Not even close. I've faced this kid multiple times, none in the last year, but he was nowhere near 88 MPH last summer. If he was throwing 88 MPH as a lefty he would probably be drafted by now, which he's not.

Does anyone know what sport Bresnahan wants to play in college?

Ellery's best sport is probably baseball, followed closely by golf. Golf could even be his best sport. He is a also a good basketball player. He can drive to the lane and shoot the 3 ball well. I believe he is a running back in football and is pretty good at that too. I would say he will probably play baseball in college.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsforlife24 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 am

Speaking of best pitchers in the state, one that has already been mentioned has been Jalen Hashbarger. Last night he broke his ankle and tore a ligament sliding into second so his legion career im afraid to say is over.
sportsforlife24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoPack#2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:44 pm

sportsforlife24 wrote:Speaking of best pitchers in the state, one that has already been mentioned has been Jalen Hashbarger. Last night he broke his ankle and tore a ligament sliding into second so his legion career im afraid to say is over.

Wow. thats terrible what a tough way to have the legion career end for a really great player.
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 pm

How is Olson in the discussion as being top 4 in the state when he is 3rd on his own team behind Paulson and Thompson with Linstad being arguably the best pitcher from that Region over the past 3 years and nearly single handedly beating Hatton in the regional on the mound, at the plate, and stealing home to tie it late on a straight steal (many could throw in coaching the team with the situation they had this spring for a coach).

Not going to disagree that Olson is a solid pitcher and deserves recognition as being one of the better pitchers in the state but maybe on a top 10-15 list.

Villareal was 76-77 on the gun last summer. Solid pitcher. Top 10-15. Will be elite by next year.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby putmeincoach » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm

baseball1402 wrote:Bresnahan doesn't throw smoke, he is a very good pitcher, but i don't think he throws smoke. He has very good off speed and he knows how to spot his pitches. He is extremely effective and he will probably win all his ball games this year, but not throwing smoke. I love the people who say that Trenton Olson throws 88-89 MPH. Not even close. I've faced this kid multiple times, none in the last year, but he was nowhere near 88 MPH last summer. If he was throwing 88 MPH as a lefty he would probably be drafted by now, which he's not.

Olson does pitch 88-89 MPH and has even hit 90, maybe not last summer, but definitely this summer.
putmeincoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby putmeincoach » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm

InTheKnow wrote:How is Olson in the discussion as being top 4 in the state when he is 3rd on his own team behind Paulson and Thompson with Linstad being arguably the best pitcher from that Region over the past 3 years and nearly single handedly beating Hatton in the regional on the mound, at the plate, and stealing home to tie it late on a straight steal (many could throw in coaching the team with the situation they had this spring for a coach).

Not going to disagree that Olson is a solid pitcher and deserves recognition as being one of the better pitchers in the state but maybe on a top 10-15 list.

Villareal was 76-77 on the gun last summer. Solid pitcher. Top 10-15. Will be elite by next year.

You obviously have no idea about the H/N team, he is not the 3rd pitcher, but the 1st. If they had big games to win, he was pitching. Thompson and Paulson are great pitchers, but they aren't as consistent and definitely do not have the speed as Olson.
putmeincoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsforlife24 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

I agree with you on him being the top pitcher on his team....And i would say he is a top pitcher in state...He doesnt throw 88-89-90...i will agree with ppl on that...He throws probably 83-86...Still over powering but not as fast as people say. And to put Linstad in this is understandable...But that kid is a head case..Olson stays calm and hits his spots..So who ever is going to put like a Villereal over Olson needs to have a reality check because i have faced them both and Olson is a dime a dozen over Villereal.
sportsforlife24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball1402 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm

I would never go out of my way to say that Olson has hit 88-90. That is bs, i faced him last summer and if you want to go out and say that he gained 10 MPH on his fastball in one year, go for it. I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe that.
baseball1402
NDPreps Starter

Postby putmeincoach » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:50 am

baseball1402 wrote:I would never go out of my way to say that Olson has hit 88-90. That is bs, i faced him last summer and if you want to go out and say that he gained 10 MPH on his fastball in one year, go for it. I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe that.

Then come see it!
putmeincoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BabeRuthBaseball » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:28 am

Can someone please give me an accurate speed on that Olson kids fastball? I saw him at the state tournament and there is no way he throws 88 or 89 as stated. It was hard don't get me wrong, but just not that hard. And I don't agree with all this talk about stemen. He is a good pitcher, but not in the top 10. I'm from the lamoure section and Derek Lyons from Lisbon is the best pitcher in that section by far. Clocked at 84 at the camp in Mandan.
BabeRuthBaseball
NDPreps Rookie

Postby SportsYearRound » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:48 am

Trent Olson throws 87 consistently, so on good days/when he throws a 0-2, 1-2 fastball- I'm sure he is at about 89-90. His problem has nothing to do with his baseball skills. He just put himself in a position where a JuCo is the most viable option. My source is a college baseball coach.
SportsYearRound
NDPreps Starter

Postby NorthEastPower » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm

sportsforlife24 wrote:
gtownrat wrote:I'd like to throw a name out there for you, the kid is a junior and one more state tournament games than any two of the names listed in the previous post . I'm not positive but between legion and high school state tourneys 6 wins and a save with a year of eligiblity left. VILLARREAL nuf said the rest of the talk is just cute.

Hahahahaha.....i can tell you are from Grafton....Jamie Villarreal isnt even in the same category as Trent Olson, Bresnahan, and Milbrandt.....These 3 guys bring cheese and some nasty junk...I have faced Villarreal and he just hits spots with a low 70s heater and an "OK", i stress the ok curveball, and an alright changeup...Rest of the talk is just cute? Thats a kicker...Maybe you should try being in a stand up comedy act!

Ok sportsforlife24, did you face Villarreal in 8th grade or something? He clocked 82-83 with his fastball at the mandan camp this summer. His "OK" curveball that you mentioned is way better than "OK". It's pretty solid considering how well he hits his spots, and he has the best changeup in the state. While on the topic of spot hitting, Villarreal does it better than any other pitcher in the state. If you think I'm wrong, tell me who is better at it because I've faced Olson, Milbrandt and Bresnahan and none of them have done it as well. If Villarreal isn't in the same category as Olson then how did he out duel him at the state high school tournament this year? Nothing against Olson, he does throw hard, but i haven't seen very much offspeed from him. On top of that, Villarreal has more victories at state tournaments than all 3 (Olson, Bresnahan, and Milbrandt) combined. The fact that he is Grafton's ace pitcher, and with the success that Grafton has had the past few years, I would say that Villarreal deserves a lot more credit than people think.
NorthEastPower
NDPreps Rookie

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Who won Player of the year in Class B High School this year and whom of those kids are going to above a low level college to play.... I would think college coaches and scouts would know more than some kid. Just because you have trouble hitting a pitcher does mean he is the best pitcher around.... Look at ERA the last two years and tell me who is the best.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby jtdc492 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:01 pm

I saw some good pitching at the state legion tourney this week and Villarreal was one of the top pitchers there. I'd put him at number two behind Gripentrop from Wahpeton. Scout from Mayville clocked Gripentrog at 87-88. I'd say Villarreal was around 83 and everyone else was high 70s to 80.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm

I heard Derek Lyons from Lisbon was at 86 against Grafton from the Mayville scout. He was mainly around 82-83 for most of the game. I was pretty impressed by him at state. There are a lot of guys in the state that throw in that 80 to 84 range. Villarreal, Bonjes, Lyons, Lund and Anderson from Nelson County, Olson and Paulson from Hatton.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby thekid248 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

You guys have said all these names, but there is one that you have left out that is a pretty good pitcher in the state and that is Kalton Agnes from Langdon.
thekid248
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:39 pm

gobison#6 wrote:
ILoveBaseball21 wrote:

Does anyone know what sport Bresnahan wants to play in college?

Ellery's best sport is probably baseball, followed closely by golf. Golf could even be his best sport. He is a also a good basketball player. He can drive to the lane and shoot the 3 ball well. I believe he is a running back in football and is pretty good at that too. I would say he will probably play baseball in college.

Bresnahan has "verballed" with UND to play baseball next year.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby beasteast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am

Bresnahan has been clocked at 87 mph, not sure when though.
beasteast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Come to Play » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:59 am

There are just a hand full of real good consistent pitchers in the state as mentioned in other posts and as a whole can be very dominating on an opposing team. Whether it be by overpowering or by throwing that "find me if you can pitch", either one is effective. High School pitchers are limited with the short season in our area and arms get tired quickly as most good pitchers have dual roles during the game. I always get a kick out of decision to pull a pitcher because of a sore arm and then reinsert them to catching. The base runner will make it to second base easily on a steal. So with our top pitchers in the state having a sore arm, most of the time, in any league, it is the defense that usually comes up big with the diving catch, the fast reaction to a bunt, the throw out to 2nd and the where-with-all of where to position themselves for given batters, etc., to get that pitcher the win or shut out. And please don't forget about the coaches role in prepping the team with fire and their on the spot decisions throughout the game. The great pitchers will always credit the defense first and a humble defensive person will always say that the pitcher pitched a great game. Mental is huge for confidence and I believe that one feeds off of the other. Then who knows, the confidence might even migrate into the offensive, which again gives confidence back to the pitcher and defense. So to all of you players and coaches reading this post, even though you may not be listed as a top State pitcher, you are just as big to the overall game as the top pitcher who gets the press. Have fun and play with confidence.
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to Class B