Best players at their positions

Postby cookiemonster17 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:53 am

I know we have one on infielders and pitchers but who is near the top at every position through out the state.

Like Bryan Krahler is a pretty good shortstop along with Scott Tweed is a pretty decent outfielder both from Harvey.
cookiemonster17
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cash » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:30 am

cookiemonster17 wrote:I know we have one on infielders and pitchers but who is near the top at every position through out the state.

Like Bryan Krahler is a pretty good shortstop along with Scott Tweed is a pretty decent outfielder both from Harvey.
Those are two pretty good players, Scott Tweed has made some very good plays in the outfield in the games I've seen him play. Pitching wise, there's so many, I could probably name 15-20. Catchers, Tanner Adam is probably the most known, and I hate to name another Harvey player, but Ben Rogelstad and Beau Weigelt are two good catchers. First baseman, I'm not really sure theres many really good first basemen out there. Second base, kind of up for graps like first, but, again, Beau Weigelt is a really good 2nd baseman for Harvey, I just can't think of any other 2nd baseman, wait, Klinske is a good 2nd baseman, for Grafton. Third base, the kid from Thompson would be my pick, Srystad. Shortstop, Bryan Krahler like you said is very good for Harvey, Heinke is good for Velva, makes a lot of really nice plays and hits pretty good. Outfield, there's quite a few, but, the most known I would think would be the two Kjehmus's, they are very good. As a team, the team with the most talent, might be Velva, Thompson, LaMoure, and Harvey. They are all good, but, I was looking around Harvey's and LaMoure's websites, and most of their players are back this year, Harvey has something like 11 seniors this year, and LaMoure returns most of their starters. Harvey always chokes though, this last year they were supposed to be really good, with 3 really talented seniors, but they lost 2 straight games to Midkota, that's why they probably aren't my favorite to win state. LaMoure however has a lot of good players at positions, and they are a good possibility of winning a lot of games.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Hitter » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:57 am

I haven't seen to many players other than in our region but Ross severson is a pretty good player. James olderbak can play any where. Cory Wall is a great outfielder didn't have any errors and threw five kids out from center field. Harvey also has some very solid kids. Tanner adams is a good catcher from what I have seen. Chris hoerth is pretty dominate behind the plate. Threw out schafer twice.
Big Hitter

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:28 am

You might be right on Harvey, Lamoure, and Velva having the most talent, But Thompson loses 6 starters from last year. The Kjemhus's and Randy Syrstad (Who are their only returning starters) are very talented, but they do not make up a nine player team. They have a little bit of talent coming up from their JV, but not as much as some other teams. I would say the two teams who made Thompson work for wins last year in the Region should be put above them in the talent category. That would Central Valley and Hatton-Northwood. Those teams did not lose as much as Thompson, and they played right with Thompson last year in High School and Legion baseball, and also did win a couple. You can't say Thompson is going to be one of the most talented teams just because of their success in the past. Every team has a few down years here and there.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 pm

for me thompson will compete. THe only talent other than the players mentioned i see would be casey nelson and zach myron, i know you basketball buffs are very excited but these guys are average players. Two good athletes who have average baseball skills. Hatton- Northwood is a going to have a really nice team this season as will central valley. THese are a pair of teams who have been plaugued by inconsistency. mpcg who usally contends in the region will not have one senior on the team and lost four key starters. Region 2 will be interesting.
Last edited by PA42 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:34 pm

Casey and Zach are good players. They have been well coached and have been hidden behind quite a few years worth of better players. You can also include Jake Cooley in the mix with some talent. He doesn't have all too much experience, but he is a decent left handed pitcher. He throws strikes, and gets alot of movement on his pitches. He doesn't need to strike people out, because like usual, with teams under Brantl, they will have a very good defense. I will agree with you on the part of them competing.  But I can't see them being anywhere near as good as they were last year, or the year before. I think you will see the inconsistency fade with Hatton-Northwood and Central Valley. This years senior players from each team have alot of experience (No state tournament experience, but alot of regional tournament experience). Most of the seniors have seen alot of playing time, if not starting since their freshman or sophomore year. You are right about Mayville, losing those players from last year will hurt them alot. Minto has proven to be pretty tough in the region also. They still have alot of their line up coming back from last year too. However, I still can't see them competing with CV or HN.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:56 pm

i was wondering two things, does hatton-northwood have any new comers to watch out for. And is midway and minto combing for baseball this season. it would be nice to see dennis hroner to have something to work with this season.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 am

Hatton-Northwood has a few good players off of their babe ruth team who lost in the section tournament to the state champs of Hope-Page. Eric Dafforn is a great outfielder, he's quick and makes good, quick reads in the outfield. Ryan Pladson has a great bat from the left side. He shows great power for his size. Spencer Huus was picked up by Hope for the State Tournament. He has a good arm from behind the plate. He just needs to work on smothering the ball when its in the dirt. He tries to glove the ball when it is in the dirt. Tyler Bilden can pitch if he is needed. He's a lefty with alot of movement. If he can find his #2 pitch, he could make for a nice pitcher at the end of the varsity rotation. I can't really say how much playing time they will all see this year, but they are young, and they know how to play.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:53 am

i totally agree they had a nice babe ruth this season. Pladson and Huus can really play. I think pladson is ready to contribute give huus a year to keep improving behind the plate. And tyler bilden will be a really good pitcher. He's the kind of the player that all stars scream about after they strike out. He is really decieving and it seems like the one pitch he throws is like a moving fastball. hard to explain. he is really composed and will give hitters trouble by the end of the year.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:05 pm

What young guys does Mayville have coming up this year?
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:36 pm

the same ones they had last year for the most part. ethan kyllo is heck of an athlete. And i think baseball could be his best sport. Adam Fyre is a nice athlete who hits ball real well. Ben agnes played first base last season, he shows glimpses of being a great hitter and stepped up his fielding in legion last season. Eric Fugleberg and Christian Berry both saw some varsity time last season. Both can handle themselves very well in the outfield. It is possible tyler ust and jace ingebretson could see some time as eight graders. Mason Tangen, Marcuas Geffre, and Brian Paulson are infielders who have potential. transfers josh and ben gates should both make in impact this season. They are from texas and really contributed to the football team this season. Thats how it looks this season at mpcg.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 am

horne98 wrote:the same ones they had last year for the most part. ethan kyllo is heck of an athlete. And i think baseball could be his best sport. Adam Fyre is a nice athlete who hits ball real well. Ben agnes played first base last season, he shows glimpses of being a great hitter and stepped up his fielding in legion last season. Eric Fugleberg and Christian Berry both saw some varsity time last season. Both can handle themselves very well in the outfield. It is possible tyler ust and jace ingebretson could see some time as eight graders. Mason Tangen, Marcuas Geffre, and Brian Paulson are infielders who have potential. transfers josh and ben gates should both make in impact this season. They are from texas and really contributed to the football team this season. Thats how it looks this season at mpcg.

how old are the Gates kids? and by impact, do you mean they will fill empty positions good enough, or will they stand out? Because I can see Adam Fyre having a good season this year, and same with Ethan Kyllo. The younger guys last year showed that they had alot of trouble getting metal bats around on average pitchers. They had a hard time making solid contact, Do you see them doing better with wood bats? Cause I can't see that happening. So first off, are those transfer's experienced enough to do well, and second, are they good enough to make that big of an impact?
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 am

josh and ben gates are both sophomores. josh is an excellent athlete and ben seems pretty strong. they said when they came here that baseball were their best sports. like i mentioned by the end of the season they made a significant impact for the football team. I think both of them will start because this season depth is not a strength for mpcg. josh plays third and first base and ben is a catcher. I forgot to mention they return their lead off hitter brody voelker who is turning into a nice player. like you said none of these players have been consistent at the plate. 2 things, every year mayville's legion team goes to a brookings wood bat tourney to play some of minn and south dakota's best teams. mayville does well every year because they like to play small ball to start with. this season mpcg has the personall to bunt and steal. the speed of kyllo, fyre, voelker, and josh gates will help them, play the style of baseball that is appropriate for wood bats.
Last edited by PA42 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:21 am

I still can't see them doing any good. Small ball will be a big part of every teams game. Granted some teams do it better than others, and I agree Mayville has played small ball when they needed to, but their small ball is not nearly as good as other teams, such as Central Valley's. I have never played against a team that has executed as many Suicide Squeeze plays as they have. They hit and run, and even their straight stealing is amazing. They are fast from top to bottom of the line-up, with maybe an exception of one player towards the bottom of their lineup. I am thinking Mayville will be in a rebuilding period for at least the next two years. They weren't that good last year, and they lost Rakowski, David Fyre, and Berry. They are going to have to work very hard to be anything near average.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:27 am

i totally agree, if mpcg's young guys work hard they could be a quality team in two years.
PA42

Return to Class B