2023 Legion B tourney trail

2023 Legion B tourney trail

Postby bingobangobongo » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:16 am

District 4 (Carrington, New Rockford, Steele and Linton) and District 5 (Grafton, Minto, Langdon and Park River) with only 4 teams each is kind of a joke compared to the districts having 7 and 8 teams. A double-elim 4 team tourney is a different animal compared to a double-elim tourney for 7 or 8 teams. Edgeley should have been shifted to District 4 from District 7. Devils Lake JV to District 5 from District 3, or Hatton/NW or Thompson to District 5 from 6.

So, you have districts with 4 teams sending a team to state compared to districts with 7 or 8 teams sending a team to state. My guess is that there were "last minute" cancellations by towns figuring out they would not have enough players for a Legion team right before the season started, so it creates logistical problems with moving a team to a different district on such short notice. But, I still think it should have been done.

And congrats to Hazen on already punching their ticket to state!
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2023 Legion B tourney trail

Postby Class B » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:58 am

I think Legion needs a complete overhaul (again). I don't know what the answer is but I don't think 7 districts are the solution. There are too many programs where participation numbers are too volatile for this model to be sustainable. Maybe going to four regions (with subregions?) for a couple years might help? Take 2 from each region to state (with the host region only having 1 qualifier since the host team is automatically in).

Before all that though, the State Legion and State Babe Ruth Boards need to merge and get on the same page.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:48 pm

Nelson County was a no go for D4...D5 definitely should have had the DL Storm B in it instead of being in D3.
I agree Edgeley could have shifted.

D2, D6 & D7 are fullest districts...
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:02 pm

And 2 from District 4 got in because Carrington is hosting the State B.Good for New Rockford, but look at their record and tell me they belong in a State Tournament over a number of other teams sitting at home. I agree that Class B Legion baseball needs a compete overhaul, just no sure how it should be done.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 pm

Where can you find records?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I'll take LaMoure to win the whole thing. I personally think this is their best Legion team in the last 3-4 years, and they've had some good ones. They are extremely deep in pitching along with timely hitting.

I'm not sure if this is one of the best Thompson teams, I'll guess it isn't, but they're in the championship again. Thompson was the #3 seed in their district.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:17 pm

Flip wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:I'll take LaMoure to win the whole thing. I personally think this is their best Legion team in the last 3-4 years, and they've had some good ones. They are extremely deep in pitching along with timely hitting.

I'm not sure if this is one of the best Thompson teams, I'll guess it isn't, but they're in the championship again. Thompson was the #3 seed in their district.

4 of their 5 losses came in district play...but they are usually a tough out when you get to the postseason
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:42 pm

Thompson has got the better of Lamoure in a lot of state championship games in the last few years. Maybe it's only three, but it feels like a lot.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:10 am

The young man who plays shortstop for Thompson is one of the best HS shortstops I have seen in a long time.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CountryDelight » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:32 am

Larimore is bringing legion back this summer. Been a few seasons since they’ve had a team.
CountryDelight
NDPreps Starter

Return to Class B