Fargo's Legion Program

Re: Fargo's Legion Program

Postby Ugalee7 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Hinsa wrote:Splitting the program has nothing to do with winning championships. It is about the number of kids available to participate. I think it is unbelievable that a city the size of Fargo has ONE legion team. You mean to tell me there are only 20 kids that age who want to play baseball in the summer?

Why stop with one team then. There will soon be four high schools in Fargo so why not have a separate team for each school. Then we can give EVERYONE a PARTICIPATION ribbon since that's what its all about :lol: .
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ugalee7 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Harmon61 wrote:It sounds worse than it is.

This is all about Control and ego.

We have a parents who own there own business and want control. What happens in two years when these parents are gone? Who will fund this team? Will post 2 really open there arms to these 4 kids? what are they going to do? Raid the 14 and 15 year old babe Ruth teams to fill out a team?

We are talking two Juniors and two sophomores. No one else is signing up. Kids have more to do in the summer than play a 50 plus game schedule.

Kids need to make money to go to school, drive cars and do what kids do. Now knock it off, put your ego in check and drop this second team idea.

What is best for baseball in Fargo?
Last year it was a person who got kicked off the board and wanted to start a new post team he could run. Again, control!

Let's face it, the south coach is smart to stay out of it as he knows the parents at south do not like him as he lets a few parents control the team each year. It will be interesting next year what happens when south splits in the spring of 2011. Who will be the coaches? Who will get the control?

I agree with most everything in your post except for the South Coach staying out of it. Publicly maybe but a puppet master behind the scenes for sure. He was ticked off when his buddy/ex coaching partner was not brought back and would like nothing more than to get back at the the people that made the decision.
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby OldSchool » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Hey great bambino. First of all almost every program in the state is financed by some other means than the legion. Bismarck and Mandan may be the only two. Post2 is also basically funded by private means not by the legion post, and I think that its about time that Fargo had a second legion team. I do have a problem with Fic. I have known him for a long time. He is an arrogant jerk, and ask him why he was fired after the summer of 1996 when he was an assistant under Gigstad. He is a total frontrunner, and is completely in it for himself, and not the kids. What comes around goes around and eventually Fic will get whats coming to him. I have had many battles with him over the years, and the biggest mistake Post2 made was letting a quality guy like Bill go, and the next biggest mistake was hiring Fic.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby greatbambino » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:02 am

OldSchool wrote:Hey great bambino. First of all almost every program in the state is financed by some other means than the legion. Bismarck and Mandan may be the only two. Post2 is also basically funded by private means not by the legion post, and I think that its about time that Fargo had a second legion team. I do have a problem with Fic. I have known him for a long time. He is an arrogant jerk, and ask him why he was fired after the summer of 1996 when he was an assistant under Gigstad. He is a total frontrunner, and is completely in it for himself, and not the kids. What comes around goes around and eventually Fic will get whats coming to him. I have had many battles with him over the years, and the biggest mistake Post2 made was letting a quality guy like Bill go, and the next biggest mistake was hiring Fic.

most of the teams in the state are sponsored by a legion post as well as other sponsors. yes the use of legion post as the biggest sponsor is dying out because they dont have the money for it, but all the teams still have a legion post attached to their name. so will this new team be the "fargo mr. ernst's checkbook little snowflakes?"
did you just call fiechtner an arrogant jerk and then mentioned gigstad in the same sentence? he was a pretty arrogant jerk too, and from the sounds of it, people that played for him didnt like him a whole lot. cant say ive heard much of the same about fiechtner.
in a post you made about a year ago you alluded to fargo adding a second legion team. sounds like you have your hand in the southside program. you wouldnt happen to be one of the parents sitting at donny bryants table brewing up this new team, much like what happened last year around this time?
letting ibach go was a good thing for the program. his focus was no longer on the team and more on his family. theres no reason fargo wasnt playing in the state championship game every year while he was the coach. early in his coaching career that was the case, and then all of a sudden there was a drop off in his teams performance, right around the time he had kids. ill let you do the math there.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Harmon61 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:15 am

Old School, you are just that. You are stuck in 1961. In 1961 there was nothing else to do in the summer but baseball. You act is if Fargo has this great dynasty going and it needs to be broken up.
This will be 2010; our economy is in the toilet, kids parents have to make tough decisions. There are not even enough kids right now to have a senior babe ruth team let alone a 2nd legion team. Many factors are keeping kids away.

Work
Soccer camps
Football camps
Basketball camps
Hockey camps
Kids need to WORK
We are very close to the Minnesota lakes
Economy –Kids need to WORK
Other Coaches are picking off kids and making them go year round with there sports.
The legion season is very long and hard to commit to.

Three very good players at south will not be playing this spring due these same economic conditions.

The very best pitching prospect in Fargo is giving up baseball for basketball and camps and a summer basketball league. An extremely talented left handed hitter is going full force into football camps. Another top notch athlete is giving up baseball in part, the season is to long and he needs to work to help out at home.
Take a look at the south hockey team! 3 incredible ball players are spending the summer at hockey camps.

These kids are being pulled in many directions and all want to go to college and escape North Dakota.

Other towns in North Dakota do not or can not afford the same distractions the Fargo kids have, thus are ignorant to the problem Post 2 has getting the best ball players to come out.

You can go through any hornbachers burger king, kfc or the culvers drive through and see some very good ball players who parents can not afford to not let them work in the summer.

You argument Fargo is big enough was true when there was only baseball in 1961 – dose not work in 2010 – Next time you try this argument I will give you the two page sponsorship problem teams are having due the economy.
Harmon61
NDPreps Rookie

Postby armada113 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:37 pm

hey OLD SCHOOL. i thought you had a problem with the Fargo legion "dynasty". Not its coach. Who cares what Fic is like. Coaches arent supposed to be nice. They arent supposed to be your precious little angel's best buddy. They are supposed to work them hard and make them better and thats what he is doing
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ugalee7 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:44 pm

OldSchool wrote:Hey great bambino. First of all almost every program in the state is financed by some other means than the legion. Bismarck and Mandan may be the only two. Post2 is also basically funded by private means not by the legion post, and I think that its about time that Fargo had a second legion team. I do have a problem with Fic. I have known him for a long time. He is an arrogant jerk, and ask him why he was fired after the summer of 1996 when he was an assistant under Gigstad. He is a total frontrunner, and is completely in it for himself, and not the kids. What comes around goes around and eventually Fic will get whats coming to him. I have had many battles with him over the years, and the biggest mistake Post2 made was letting a quality guy like Bill go, and the next biggest mistake was hiring Fic.

A quality guy like Bill??? I have never met a more uninspiring coach in my life. Watching/listening to him hold a meeting was worse than watching paint dry. Zero communication skills when it comes to players, parents or fans (the South coach isn't much better). For a guy who says he had great passion for the program you sure wouldn't know it. At least Fic trys to make it fun and acts like he wants to be there. The biggest complaint there was this year was the amount of practice time. Too much for some, but it's hard for kids that age to understand that practice and time spent on fundamentals is how you get better. If you want to compete for the state title each year that's what it takes.
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 7andpoo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Ibach shouldn't of been let go, Fic is a great coach but Ibach shouldnt of been let go. This second legion team is just plain ole retarded. Post 2 is just fine, the best play, don't like it get better.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ugalee7 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:46 pm

livinXtheXdream wrote:There's more than enough kids who want to play baseball in order to have two legion teams. I can name a half dozen kids off the top of my head that didn't try out for post 2 who are more than capable of making the team or the bombers and playing on the team. They simply didn't want to play for Fargo North's coach and i can understand how that could make them uncomfortable if they don't go to North. I guarantee that if this second team is formed, there will be kids, good enough to play for post 2, trying out from the south side that didn't try out last year when there was one team.

If as you say "They simply didn't want to play for Fargo North's coach and i can understand how that could make them uncomfortable if they don't go to North", be very careful when YOU/Donny pick the new coach. You better make sure the individual isn't connected to either South or Davies (from what I'm hearing the people Donny has in mind do) or a couple years down the road the kids might feel uncomfortable if they don't go to the school the coach is from and not want to play for him. Will you still understand it then?

I hope in the future when all these kids look for jobs that they can get them from people they know cause they might feel uncomfortable working for someone they're not familiar with. Good luck!
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ugalee7 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:49 pm

7andpoo wrote:Ibach shouldn't of been let go, Fic is a great coach but Ibach shouldnt of been let go. This second legion team is just plain ole retarded. Post 2 is just fine, the best play, don't like it get better.

Why' don't you go to the meeting Monday night at the Bowler and tell them how retarded it is. It would be good for the South Fargo side to hear it from one of their own.
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 7andpoo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Ugalee7 wrote:
7andpoo wrote:Ibach shouldn't of been let go, Fic is a great coach but Ibach shouldnt of been let go. This second legion team is just plain ole retarded. Post 2 is just fine, the best play, don't like it get better.

Why' don't you go to the meeting Monday night at the Bowler and tell them how retarded it is. It would be good for the South Fargo side to hear it from one of their own.

I would if i wasn't in Iowa
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby south23 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 pm

I have enjoyed reading the debate on having another baseball team in Fargo. I have refrained from commenting on any thread, but I feel I must. With that said, I could care less what happens with baseball; however, it is disheartening to see people hiding behind nicknames or monikers (andrew herrian=greatbambino and others) and bashing players and coaches. This happens all over this sight - which is too bad. Please, let's agree to stop getting personal when talking about Coach Fic, Coach Bryant, Coach Ibach, and any other coach or player. I don't mind disagreement, it can be healthy. But attacking them personally shows lack of integrity. All players and coaches do their best to create great programs for their teams and school. Lets just have a healthy debate without getting personal.
On a less serious note, Go Vikings! :D
south23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ugalee7 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:01 am

south23 wrote:I have enjoyed reading the debate on having another baseball team in Fargo. I have refrained from commenting on any thread, but I feel I must. With that said, I could care less what happens with baseball; however, it is disheartening to see people hiding behind nicknames or monikers (andrew herrian=greatbambino and others) and bashing players and coaches. This happens all over this sight - which is too bad. Please, let's agree to stop getting personal when talking about Coach Fic, Coach Bryant, Coach Ibach, and any other coach or player. I don't mind disagreement, it can be healthy. But attacking them personally shows lack of integrity. All players and coaches do their best to create great programs for their teams and school. Lets just have a healthy debate without getting personal.
On a less serious note, Go Vikings! :D

I love people that make a post asking someone not to do something and then do it themselves. Integrity huh??? Makes you look pretty stupid yourself. Why don't you put your name out there instead of a moniker then?? By the way I know who Bambino is and it's not who you think it is but good try.
Ugalee7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Any more coach bashing and this topic will be locked. Read the rules of this forum.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby shs01240 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Hey all, I haven't been on Preps in ages and figured I'd check the site for old time's sake. I've stumbled upon this thread and I have to throw in my two cents. I'd appreciate some honest responses.

First of all, what is the point of starting the new legion team? I haven't read a legitimate answer on this thread and I wonder if there actually is one. I suppose one could make the argument that another legion team provides more opportunities for local boys to play legion baseball. I believe this argument is intellectually dishonest as it ignores the fact that Post 2 has implemented a third legion team--the Jets. It is my understanding that this team consists of kids too old for bombers but not good enough for the varsity and kids that are too young for bombers, but skilled enough to enter into the legion program. Sounds like a great situation for local ballplayers, as at least 54 kids now have the ability to utilize the great resources of Fargo.

So, it is clear that there is ample opportunity to enter into the Post 2 program. So my question still stands, why? Sadly, my argument can and should be used for fodder by those promoting the ridiculous idea that a few egotistical adults are pushing for a new team.

Then again, I guess ridiculous doesn't necessarily mean untrue.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Class A