Central Plains and World Series

Postby MinotBison » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:16 pm

This wasn't supposed to be their year anyway.  Nice job for the good season, though.  Next year they are going to be extremely good, at least I think.

Now, for some of them, it's on to FB practice.  I am looking for Zac Elgie to have a good year.  They open up with Fargo South at home.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4for4 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Poweraid, your meaning to tell me that in a big game situation(Like game 1 of a regional tournament) You'd rather have Martinson on the mound over Lundy? You must be kidding. I don't know what Minot was thinking, possibly taking Kansas lightly? I'm not sure, but from what I've heard and seen, you always throw your ace in the first round unless you know the team you are facing is garbage, which I dont think in a regional tourament any teams are garbage. I'm not saying Martinson is a bad pitcher, im just saying that in that situation I would feel a lot more comfortable with Lundy on the hill. I think Minot messed up.
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:26 pm

I think they wanted to give Lundy an extra day of rest.  He threw 2 games in 3 days at state including the championship on Sunday.  So I can see why they didnt throw him on day 1.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4for4 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Yah but the tourney wasnt for like 5 days after wasn't it?
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:43 pm

4for4 wrote:Poweraid, your meaning to tell me that in a big game situation(Like game 1 of a regional tournament) You'd rather have Martinson on the mound over Lundy? You must be kidding. I don't know what Minot was thinking, possibly taking Kansas lightly? I'm not sure, but from what I've heard and seen, you always throw your ace in the first round unless you know the team you are facing is garbage, which I dont think in a regional tourament any teams are garbage. I'm not saying Martinson is a bad pitcher, im just saying that in that situation I would feel a lot more comfortable with Lundy on the hill. I think Minot messed up.

the vistas coaches trust martinson a lot more becuz there are days where lundy will just try to throw it as hard as possible and leave pitches up....martinson has been a composed pitcher all year keeping the ball down in the zone....his stuff isnt overly impressive but he makes good pitches when he has to as evidence of his performance in their game vs. kansas. minot put out there best lineup hitting-wise and could only manage 1 run. I wouldnt call it a messup...just maybe a lack of focus hitting-wise for minot, its too bad marty pitched with all his heart and gave them a chance to win, they  just couldnt come up with the offense that they had been touted for all year long. Maybe Lundy should have pitched but in this situation where they had a chance to win all game long it shouldnt matter, maybe if he would have blown it right away but he didnt. 8 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the dynasty » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:36 am

Hey 4for4 don't go bashing on the vistas coaches about martinson pitching. Lundy was only on day 4 on thursday, why pitch someone before they are 100%? On his 5th day it was his turn.
the dynasty

Postby 4for4 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:08 am

I wasn't bashing anyone..I was just wondering why they wouldn't throw their ace game one, I'm entitled to my own opinion aren't I?
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:18 pm

the dynasty wrote:Hey 4for4 don't go bashing on the vistas coaches about martinson pitching. Lundy was only on day 4 on thursday, why pitch someone before they are 100%? On his 5th day it was his turn.

hey dynasty he has every right to bash him it was a bone head move look at state this year kries and landry pitched 20 of 21 innings i belive ebert got like what was it 77 innings wentz pitched basically every other game lundy is a big boy iam sure he wanted to pitch and if he wants to let him they wouldnt of been there if it wasnt for him and his pitching
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby the dynasty » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:05 am

Saucesauer I am on the team. I will tell you some things you should know. Lundy had just thrown over 250 pitches in 3 days, Do you think his arm was ready on short rest? No. Jordan Martinson was i think 10-0 on the year. He pitched in some of the biggest post season games. If you don't have enough faith throw him something is wrong. By the way he when 8 inn. gave up only one earned run, But it makes no sense to pitch him? Explain it me.
the dynasty

Postby point/center » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:20 am

Minot returns all but their catcher Nelson for next year. Keep those reservations for summer of 2007. They could make another trip to the Midwest Regional.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer2 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:57 pm

the dynasty wrote:Saucesauer I am on the team. I will tell you some things you should know. Lundy had just thrown over 250 pitches in 3 days, Do you think his arm was ready on short rest? No. Jordan Martinson was i think 10-0 on the year. He pitched in some of the biggest post season games. If you don't have enough faith throw him something is wrong. By the way he when 8 inn. gave up only one earned run, But it makes no sense to pitch him? Explain it me.

it probably was the right move... dont listen to him... he doesn't know what hes talking about
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Lundy was in the top 3 pitchers in the state four days rest should be good enough for him i hadnt even heard of this martinson kid until he got the loss so he dosnt stand out to me sorry i would still throw lundy
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 pm

just because hes good he doesnt need as much rest????? that doesnt make any sense
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Honus355 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:17 am

I completely agree with Coach Larson thrwoing Martinson against Kansas. I really do not think that Minot was overlooking Kansas. Martinson has been a very consistent pitcher for the Vistas all year long.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:29 am

4for4 wrote:Poweraid, your meaning to tell me that in a big game situation(Like game 1 of a regional tournament) You'd rather have Martinson on the mound over Lundy? You must be kidding. I don't know what Minot was thinking, possibly taking Kansas lightly? I'm not sure, but from what I've heard and seen, you always throw your ace in the first round unless you know the team you are facing is garbage, which I dont think in a regional tourament any teams are garbage. I'm not saying Martinson is a bad pitcher, im just saying that in that situation I would feel a lot more comfortable with Lundy on the hill. I think Minot messed up.

You don't know what you're talking about 4-for-4.
Lundy threw last Sunday on two days rest in the state title game. If he were to start Thursday, he would have thrown on just three days rest. I don't think any coach in his right mind would want to be throwing a guy twice in a row on that short of rest.

Martinson was very good down the stretch. He threw great in both the regional final against Bismarck and against Williston in at the state tournament. Plus he was on full rest. He allowed only one earned run (two overall) in 8 innings against a very good Lawrence team.

Minot's pitching certainly wasn't the problem ... it was the hitting. Four hits in each game? It doesn't matter who you have on the hill if that's all you can get at the plate.
Martinson performed just as well against a better team (Lawrence) as Lundy did the next day against Omaha. Both were good teams and each guy allowed one earned run. Those two pitching performances were two of the best in the tournament, but the Minot hitting stunk.
Y-not Daily

Postby MinotBison » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:31 pm

After Minot was eliminated, the Daily News stopped covering the Regional.  I still don't know how the rest of the games turned out and who eventually won the tournament.  Anyone?

MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Rapid City and Lawrence are playing in the championship game.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotBison » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm

Minot beat Rapid City at their tournament, and could very easily have beaten Lawrence.  I hope the players returning for next year remember this. 
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4for4 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:07 pm

Yah well remembering that is what prevents team's the next year from even making it to the regional. Minot's focus when the time comes, should be on winning the state title first. I can guarentee Bismarck and Williston will be out to get them.
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Lawrence 10 Rapid City 2
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotBison » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:49 pm

4for4 wrote:Yah well remembering that is what prevents team's the next year from even making it to the regional. Minot's focus when the time comes, should be on winning the state title first. I can guarentee Bismarck and Williston will be out to get them.

Agreed, and I am sure the returning  players will be aware of that.  I am just saying that Minot needs to have confidence in itself, and believe that they can compete on a higher level.

MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:35 am

Lawrence, KS is off to the World Series.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Double Bonus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Didn't the Minot coaching staff last year make a bone head move and not even throw their best pitcher through the whole state tournament. I don't remember Gudmunson eating up any time on the mound. Also, doesn't Minot have a habit of choking in big games? If I remember right their hitting sucked last year at state and the year before they didn't even make state.
Double Bonus

Postby power-aid14 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:26 am

Double Bonus wrote:Didn't the Minot coaching staff last year make a bone head move and not even throw their best pitcher through the whole state tournament. I don't remember Gudmunson eating up any time on the mound. Also, doesn't Minot have a habit of choking in big games? If I remember right their hitting sucked last year at state and the year before they didn't even make state.

they just won the state legion tournament....im guessing they were facing some top-notch pitchers...choking isnt the right word for not hitting some aces especially after winning the state tourney... the primary goal of most teams every summer
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MinotBison » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:41 pm

Has anyone heard how Lawrence, KS is doing at the Legion World Series?
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class A