MLB Draft Today!

Re: MLB Draft Today!

Postby 7andpoo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:37 am

09beckau wrote:
7andpoo wrote:
09beckau wrote:Bollinger didnt even get drafted as a pitcher... u guys underestimate him a lot. he even went before frenzel who most of u guys said would go in the second round. idk if u guys saw this kids who went in the earlier rounds but they were head and shoulders above cole. maybe u guys will show bolly a little more respect now.

:| main reason he didnt get drafted that high is because he has told teams he is very serious about going to college. This isnt the NHL where if you draft a kid you have the rights to him all the way through college, once he chooses not to to go the minors, the MLB team that chose him just wasted a pick. So what team in their right mind would draft a kid who will go to college no matter what when they can spend a 2nd 3rd of 4th round pick on another great player that will play for them. Bollinger isnt that good compared to the rest of the country so please just stop. please. PLEASE.

7andpoo... he got drafted so he must be pretty good. did u get drafted... no so shut the heck up... please.

Bollinger is a 6' 3-4'' gangly lefty. You only have to be very average to get drafted with those two traits because lets face it, if were going by actual pitching in the past 2 years, bollinger is not at the top by any means.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball99 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Will everyone just think for one second. Bollinger was drafted by the Phillies. The Minot coach is a scout for the Phillies. Can anyone do the math? Bollinger was throwing 84 tops in the scouting video. He was drafted in the "charity" rounds because of his coach. Muhammad Ali's son was taken in the 46th round and he barely played on the high school team. The 45-50 rounds are basically for taking picks that don't matter. Bollinger and Frenzel were taken to give ND high school athletes a little better name, espescially Bollinger. Frenzel I think gave the message that he wanted to go to college. Bollinger was taken because of his coach in Legion. Pretty obvious.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby 09beckau » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:12 am

i love how u guys put bollinger down more and more.... he tops out at 84... ur an idiot... he was topping out at 88 just the other day. and the draft video at perfect game was taken 2 days after he pitched i believe. u guys cant seem to get it through ur heads that he got drafted as a HITTER not a pitcher. Bollinger is pretty set on going to college. hes in the same situation as cole. none of u on this site even no him the least bit and yet u consistantly talk like u watch him play everyday. u guys need to come down of u frenzel high and realize hes not god. its hilarious that u cant get over the fact that he got drafted too. who cares if his coach is a scout for them and got drafted late.... so did frenzel... congrats to both of them. no one on this site including my self knows a thing about the draft... get a clue alright.
09beckau
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:44 am

09beckau wrote:i love how u guys put bollinger down more and more.... he tops out at 84... ur an idiot... he was topping out at 88 just the other day. and the draft video at perfect game was taken 2 days after he pitched i believe. u guys cant seem to get it through ur heads that he got drafted as a HITTER not a pitcher. Bollinger is pretty set on going to college. hes in the same situation as cole. none of u on this site even no him the least bit and yet u consistantly talk like u watch him play everyday. u guys need to come down of u frenzel high and realize hes not god. its hilarious that u cant get over the fact that he got drafted too. who cares if his coach is a scout for them and got drafted late.... so did frenzel... congrats to both of them. no one on this site including my self knows a thing about the draft... get a clue alright.

how do you know who and/or what people on this know. how do you know nobody knows Bollinger "the least bit" going but the size of Minot and the number of kids, im sure there are atleast a few posting on this site. and why cant anyone know about the draft. maybe you dont konw, like you said, but that doesnt mean others dont. their are very knowledgable people on this site in terms of behind the scenes aspects of sports such as strategies, college recruiting, draft, etc...

"he topped out at 88 the other day"...Do you realize what a topped out 88 mph fastball is to pros and legit college hitters? roughly the equivilant of a 65 mph fastball to an average high school hitter. its meat. so before you go telling people to get a clue..esspecially on a topic you were quoted as saying you know nothing about....brush up on the knowledge, then call out people with more insight to the topic.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 7andpoo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 pm

god i want to give you a hug
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:02 pm

just doesnt make sense haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball99 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 am

Bollinger got drafted for hitting you say...I thought they termed it as a position not just hitting. But that's even more laughable. I won't say anything, I'll just let the stats next year speak for themselves, if he even plays.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball99 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 am

09beckau wrote:i love how u guys put bollinger down more and more.... he tops out at 84... ur an idiot... he was topping out at 88 just the other day. and the draft video at perfect game was taken 2 days after he pitched i believe. u guys cant seem to get it through ur heads that he got drafted as a HITTER not a pitcher. Bollinger is pretty set on going to college. hes in the same situation as cole. none of u on this site even no him the least bit and yet u consistantly talk like u watch him play everyday. u guys need to come down of u frenzel high and realize hes not god. its hilarious that u cant get over the fact that he got drafted too. who cares if his coach is a scout for them and got drafted late.... so did frenzel... congrats to both of them. no one on this site including my self knows a thing about the draft... get a clue alright.
Also, I think there are some people on this site that do know a thing or two about the draft. Anyone who does know anything, knows that he got drafted because of his coach. He's a decent ballplayer but his coach is a Phillies scout, and it makes ND look good. Sorry, but going in the 48th or whatever round to your coaches team isn't that impressive. As for Frenzel, he is much better than Bollinger, he dropped because he's set on going to school to actually improve his skills, and I think he realized this. Maybe figure out how to use some proper English as well 09beckau, reading your posts is like reading one of a 5 year olds.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby northoftheborder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:09 pm

baseball wrote:

how do you know who and/or what people on this know. how do you know nobody knows Bollinger "the least bit" going but the size of Minot and the number of kids, im sure there are atleast a few posting on this site. and why cant anyone know about the draft. maybe you dont konw, like you said, but that doesnt mean others dont. their are very knowledgable people on this site in terms of behind the scenes aspects of sports such as strategies, college recruiting, draft, etc...

"he topped out at 88 the other day"...Do you realize what a topped out 88 mph fastball is to pros and legit college hitters? roughly the equivilant of a 65 mph fastball to an average high school hitter. its meat. so before you go telling people to get a clue..esspecially on a topic you were quoted as saying you know nothing about....brush up on the knowledge, then call out people with more insight to the topic.

Dear Baseball,
I am writing this just to ask how a 65 mile an hour fastball is "meat" to a high schooler? Because I saw Bollinger and Frenzel strike out to 65 mile an hour fastball this year. And those are supposebly the best hitters in the state. Are you saying that ND's best hitters can't hit "meat"?
northoftheborder

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Have you been in the box hitting a 65 mph fastball recently? its not overpowering by any means at all. I havent swung at a live pitch and 3 years and im confident i could hit a fastball that speed quite easily. and i by no means am a great baseball player. they struck out so that makes a 65 mph fastball tough to hit. go ask an average high school player what they would tihnk of a 65 mph fastball coming in...i bet their eyes light up and say "wonderful". we're they lunging at the pitch? I've seen Tim Wakefield strikeout major league hitters with a 70 mph fastball to...does that mean its not a meatball speed? im just saying that if an 88mph topped out fastball is his arguement, like thats supposed to be impressive, for being a good pitcher...he wont see the mound on an MLB field. there's a difference between digging back on one pitch and throwing that speed and being able to do it on a consistant effort. Then again who knows what will happen in college...Billy Wagner was a short lefty who threw 85 as a freshman....now 95+

Carr threw 90+ and got shelled during his career at UM. he got drafted again...guess why? Tall, lenghty lefty. if your a lefty 6'3" and up and throw semi hard your gogin to get drafted probably.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby northoftheborder » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:02 pm

baseball wrote:Have you been in the box hitting a 65 mph fastball recently? its not overpowering by any means at all. I havent swung at a live pitch and 3 years and im confident i could hit a fastball that speed quite easily. and i by no means am a great baseball player. they struck out so that makes a 65 mph fastball tough to hit. go ask an average high school player what they would tihnk of a 65 mph fastball coming in...i bet their eyes light up and say "wonderful". we're they lunging at the pitch? I've seen Tim Wakefield strikeout major league hitters with a 70 mph fastball to...does that mean its not a meatball speed? im just saying that if an 88mph topped out fastball is his arguement, like thats supposed to be impressive, for being a good pitcher...he wont see the mound on an MLB field. there's a difference between digging back on one pitch and throwing that speed and being able to do it on a consistant effort. Then again who knows what will happen in college...Billy Wagner was a short lefty who threw 85 as a freshman....now 95+

Carr threw 90+ and got shelled during his career at UM. he got drafted again...guess why? Tall, lenghty lefty. if your a lefty 6'3" and up and throw semi hard your gogin to get drafted probably.

Actually im pretty sure that Bollinger was behind the pitch, not lunging because that was the fastest pitch the kid had thrown all game. :D
northoftheborder

Postby eggman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 pm

northoftheborder wrote:
baseball wrote:

Dear Baseball,
I am writing this just to ask how a 65 mile an hour fastball is "meat" to a high schooler? Because I saw Bollinger and Frenzel strike out to 65 mile an hour fastball this year. And those are supposebly the best hitters in the state. Are you saying that ND's best hitters can't hit "meat"?

i remember in little league if a kid threw 65 he was considered to throw decently hard but not overpowering. That was with 12 year old kids from 45 feet away what do you think that will look like to a high school kid from 60 feet away?
eggman

Postby baseball » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 am

eggman wrote:
northoftheborder wrote:
baseball wrote:

Dear Baseball,

i remember in little league if a kid threw 65 he was considered to throw decently hard but not overpowering. That was with 12 year old kids from 45 feet away what do you think that will look like to a high school kid from 60 feet away?

Thank you....65 mph is not fast from 60 feet
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeHateMe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 pm

baseball wrote:
eggman wrote:
northoftheborder wrote:
baseball wrote:

Dear Baseball,

65 mph looks like junk to me when im up to bat... its much harder to sit back on a 65mph pitch then to get your hands ready and foot down on an 80mph pitch, Im sure a lot of people will agree with this
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby eggman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:18 pm

baseball wrote:
eggman wrote:
northoftheborder wrote:
baseball wrote:

Dear Baseball,

although 65 is not fast you did go overboard with the exaggeration. 88 does not look like 65 to a mlb player. If a MLB throws 94 he is considered to throw hard. I would say the average is 91 or 92 so 88 is not that slow to a Mlb or D1 player. Also through Bollinger's college career i'm sure he will gain a couple miles an hour on his fastball
eggman

Postby baseball » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 am

What's the average on a fastball in high school then? A and B...I bet there are more kids that throw 70-75 then 80+. I threw maybe 70 in high school, and got hit by average to below class b teams.. and in my defense aobut 88 being equal to 65...i did say a MLB 88 mph looks like 65 to the AVERAGE high school hitter. not 88 to Albert Pujols looks like 65 to the top hs prospect in the country.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby eggman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:21 am

Mid 80's fastball can't get you to the major leagues? Mark Buerhle of the chicago white sox just threw a perfect game and the second no hitter of his career and he tops out at 89. So that proves to be a good pitcher you don't have to throw hard as long as you have good off speed and can spot up
eggman

Postby baseball » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:55 am

I said you don't have to throw hard to have success in the league a long time ago when I said Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine. Look at how much their fastball moves tho...and then their off speed moves even more....thats why they have success.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball99 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 pm

baseball wrote:I said you don't have to throw hard to have success in the league a long time ago when I said Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine. Look at how much their fastball moves tho...and then their off speed moves even more....thats why they have success.
Good point. The only reason Maddux prolonged his career when the strike zone shrunk was his 2 seam fastball, cutter, and circle change up. Most pitchers that throw 88, 89 mph are tall and have good down angle on their pitches, have good offspeed, or are very accurate. The average fastball for the majors is 89 mph I believe. Speaking of Bollinger however, I've seen him pitch and never has he been anywhere near 89. He was 82-84 when I've seen him many times. I do think a 88 mph high school pitch would look slow to Albert Pujols though, anything probably looks slow to him right now! :shock:
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:36 pm

eggman wrote:Mid 80's fastball can't get you to the major leagues? Mark Buerhle of the chicago white sox just threw a perfect game and the second no hitter of his career and he tops out at 89. So that proves to be a good pitcher you don't have to throw hard as long as you have good off speed and can spot up

if your watching the Twins game right now you'll realize why Buerhle threw a perfect game throwing 86-87. How many times has the catcher had to reach for the ball? never...its right on the glove EVERY time. combine comand of location with movement on the ball and it tells you why he is an All-Star each year.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby eggman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:25 pm

baseball wrote:
eggman wrote:Mid 80's fastball can't get you to the major leagues? Mark Buerhle of the chicago white sox just threw a perfect game and the second no hitter of his career and he tops out at 89. So that proves to be a good pitcher you don't have to throw hard as long as you have good off speed and can spot up

if your watching the Twins game right now you'll realize why Buerhle threw a perfect game throwing 86-87. How many times has the catcher had to reach for the ball? never...its right on the glove EVERY time. combine comand of location with movement on the ball and it tells you why he is an All-Star each year.
I know that and that was kinda the point I was trying to make. A pitcher can't be judged just by how hard he throws. Command and off speed are way bigger deals then velocity because eventually the good hitters catch up to the heat
eggman

Postby Flip » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:34 pm

I doubt many players get into the big leagues with mid 80s fastballs. There are pitchers who are successful throwing in the 80s, but they were probably throwing low 90s when they got drafted. I also don't think most young pitchers have Buerhle's command.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:53 pm

most old pitchers dont have buerhle's command haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby eggman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:22 pm

baseball wrote:most old pitchers dont have buerhle's command haha
Yeah, I didn't really mean Buerhle's command because he is just rediculous but command is crucial.
eggman

Postby baseball » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm

i was replying to Flip when he said most young pitchers dont have buerhle's command...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Class A