MLB Draft Today!

MLB Draft Today!

Postby baseball4life » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Just want to say good luck to all of the ND players in the draft this year.I think the players that have declared for the draft this year from ND are Andy Leer, Tanner Lorenz, Ryan Bollinger, and Cole Frenzel.
Great stuff for them, and for baseball in North Dakota!
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: MLB Draft Today!

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 am

You do not declare for the MLB draft. You just get drafted by a team that wants to draft you. Those players were listed as possible draft picks according to various draft sources. The possible ND players is not limited to those and there is no guarantee that even any of them will be drafted. The MLB draft is not an exact science.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:03 am

InTheKnow wrote:You do not declare for the MLB draft. You just get drafted by a team that wants to draft you. Those players were listed as possible draft picks according to various draft sources. The possible ND players is not limited to those and there is no guarantee that even any of them will be drafted. The MLB draft is not an exact science.

I take that back... Pretty sure Frenzel will be drafted.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:15 am

anybody go in day 1?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball4life » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:23 am

InTheKnow wrote:You do not declare for the MLB draft. You just get drafted by a team that wants to draft you. Those players were listed as possible draft picks according to various draft sources. The possible ND players is not limited to those and there is no guarantee that even any of them will be drafted. The MLB draft is not an exact science.

Sorry my fault on that one... those 4 players were the ones that are on teams draft board, which i believe a player must be on to be eligible to be drafted.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball4life » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 am

baseball wrote:anybody go in day 1?

And nobody went the first day... we will see what days 2 and 3 hold for the ND boys.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BaseballTonight » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 pm

baseball4life wrote:
baseball wrote:anybody go in day 1?

And nobody went the first day... we will see what days 2 and 3 hold for the ND boys.

Through day 2 and the 1st 30 rounds still no ND boys. I was really surprised that especially Frenzel but even maybe Tanner Lorenz didn't go yet. From what I have heard, Frenzel's strong commitment to college and not having a huge breakout (i.e. Elgie's 2007 Central Plains Regional) is prolly what hurt him. This doesn't matter though he was always going to Arizona and im sure will be much higher in 3 years.
BaseballTonight
NDPreps Reserve

Postby KnowDak » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:19 pm

Tom Ebert went on Day 2, pick 588 to the Red Sox... Former Fargo North and Post 2 product (although I think he left Post 2 at some point in his last year there)
Frenzel didn't go through the first 30 rounds, which is a little bit of a surprise after reading this article...
http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/ ... up/Sports/
I'll post the text of the story below, but maybe Frenzel, Bollinger and others will got Thursday, on Day 3 of the draft.

Frenzel unsure where or when he'll be drafted
Pirates have inquired with Dickinson slugger
Cole Frenzel and his family have heard it all when it comes to where the slugging third baseman will be taken in the Major League Baseball draft.

Cole Frenzel and his family have heard it all when it comes to where the slugging third baseman will be taken in the Major League Baseball draft.

“We’ve heard everything from the second round to the 42nd,” Doug Frenzel, Cole’s father said Monday. “I don’t think you really know until they say, ‘Cole we’re going to take you.’ ”

Doug Frenzel said his son has fielded calls from about 20 Major League teams who say they are interested in drafting him if he’s available. Those teams have also told the Frenzels several different rounds in which they could select him.

Of those teams inquiring, Doug Frenzel said three have told his son they are thinking about drafting him as early as the second round. Cole Frenzel said the team that seems the most interested is the Pittsburgh Pirates.

“I’ve talked to the Pirates quite a bit about earlier rounds,” Frenzel said. “They said they might draft me earlier and not make an offer until the end of the summer.”

Pittsburgh has four draft picks on the first day and told Frenzel he could be one of their selections.

Frenzel said during the high school season that he anticipated being drafted sometime on the second day of the draft because several scouts have told him teams are wary of taking a mostly unknown and untested player from North Dakota.

The three-day MLB first-year player draft begins at 4 p.m. today. The first three rounds take place today. Rounds 4 through 30 are selected Wednesday and Rounds 31 through 50 happen Thursday.

Frenzel said it makes no difference when he is drafted, or who takes him. After all, if Frenzel is drafted today, he won’t know about it. Frenzel and the Dickinson Roughriders open their American Legion baseball season at Williston at 4:30 this afternoon.

“I’m a little anxious to see how it all ends up, but you can’t get too excited about it,” Frenzel said.

Frenzel signed a national letter of intent last November to play baseball for the University of Arizona. Frenzel said in late May that he plans on sticking to that promise unless he is chosen higher than expected and offered a contract for an amount he can’t refuse.

But, the recent Dickinson High School graduate doesn’t think he’ll have to have to worry about that since many teams have told him that while they may draft him, they’d like to see how he plays at Arizona.

High school players taken in the first-year draft can still play college baseball if they don’t sign a professional contract. If they don’t sign, however, they must wait until after their junior year of college, or until they are 21 years old, to be drafted again.

Linton High School graduate Kyle Carr is a prime example of this, having been selected by the Minnesota Twins in the 31st round in 2005 and not signing so he could pitch collegiately for the Minnesota Gophers. The Twins then selected him in the 12th round last summer and he signed a contact. He’s currently on the roster for the Elizabethton Twins of the Rookie League.

“College is going to play a big part in it,” Frenzel said. “A lot of teams say they want to see how I do at Arizona.”

Frenzel may not have much of a choice in the matter either.

Many scouts have told him the money usually offered to draft picks outside of the first three rounds may not be there this year because of sinking profits amongst MLB clubs.

“With the economy how it is right now, they said the money is going to just dwindle after the first two, three rounds,” Frenzel said.

The money doesn’t seem to matter much to Frenzel now though. He’s just hoping all the hoopla surrounding the draft comes true and a team takes a chance on him.

“Growing up as a kid, you always want to get drafted,” Frenzel said. “Once it actually comes and you’re being looked at, it’s a great feeling inside.”
KnowDak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball99 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:37 am

Frenzel probably hasn't got drafted yet because he has a lot to work on in college. He can hit, but he needs to prove he can do it in the Pac-10. I think he will have sucess there. Bollinger wont see the draft board. He's signed to play at Iowa Western this fall and will need to prove he can pitch at a higher level. He doesn't throw extremely hard but has great control. Lorenz had elbow surgery to remove a bone spur or chip in the spring and didn't pitch much. He had 30 some innings and didnt even pitch half the year it looks like on the iowa western baseball website. I know hes committed to go to Southeastern Louisiana University, a D1 school that went 36-21 or something along that lines. However, I think Frenzel, Bollinger and Lorenz all have good chances, Frenzel has enourmous power and hitting, Bollinger pitches with what he has and can throw hard, but has to prove he can do it for more than a couple innings, and Lorenz is 6'8 and has been clocked at 94...all good credentials
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favre#1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Still no ND players and only 5 rounds left...
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:08 pm

bball99 wrote:Bollinger pitches with what he has and can throw hard, but has to prove he can do it for more than a couple innings, and Lorenz is 6'8 and has been clocked at 94...all good credentials

Bollinger - because pitching out of the bullpen is absolutley out of the question if he's going to be a pitcher.

Lorenz - what does he have for off speed? I hit off him numerous times in high school and legion and all he really had was a fastball that was straight as an arrow. tipped his off speed pitches alot, digging on the curve, arm speed way slower on a changeup, etc...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball99 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:13 pm

baseball wrote:
bball99 wrote:Bollinger pitches with what he has and can throw hard, but has to prove he can do it for more than a couple innings, and Lorenz is 6'8 and has been clocked at 94...all good credentials

Bollinger - because pitching out of the bullpen is absolutley out of the question if he's going to be a pitcher.

Lorenz - what does he have for off speed? I hit off him numerous times in high school and legion and all he really had was a fastball that was straight as an arrow. tipped his off speed pitches alot, digging on the curve, arm speed way slower on a changeup, etc...
I really don't know from seeing, but from reading some scouting reports on the internet, baseballamerica, perfectgame, pgcrosschecker, which costs money, it says he has a 4 seam fastball in the low 90s and a sinker/2 seam fastball thats above average in the upper 80s with an above average change up and developing slider. I don't think he would be doing things in college that he did in high school, like you said, tipping pitches or stuff like that.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball99 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 pm

I think Bollinger has a good chance after his years at Iowa Western if he can continue to improve. He just has to get to the upper 80s with this fastball and show some projectability.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm

bball99 wrote:
baseball wrote:

I really don't know from seeing, but from reading some scouting reports on the internet, baseballamerica, perfectgame, pgcrosschecker, which costs money, it says he has a 4 seam fastball in the low 90s and a sinker/2 seam fastball thats above average in the upper 80s with an above average change up and developing slider. I don't think he would be doing things in college that he did in high school, like you said, tipping pitches or stuff like that.

I figured he would improve on the mechanics in college, but i know in legion after his senior year(last time i saw him) he was a loooong ways for a drafted pitcher i thought. like i said aobut his fastball tho...it doesnt matter if its in the 90ss, if its straight he's gonna get shelled. hard.

i hope he's able to make it and recovers from his surgery in order to make some money in the game.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Favre#1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:23 pm

FIRST ND PLAYER!!!

Ryan Bollinger Pick 1427 by the Phillies
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favre#1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:28 pm

AND THERE IS NUMBER 2!!!

Cole Frenzel PIck 1444 by the Rangers

Congrats to both players
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby digger » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Tom Ebert (North High 2006) went 800+ picks earlier. He was a terrific pitcher for the Spartans, had a very good year this year at Florida International after two years at Western. He has a shot at climbing the ranks: big body (6'6/250), throws hard enough, he's always had good control, no arm problems that I know of. Good luck to each of the guys.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Favre#1 wrote:FIRST ND PLAYER!!!

Ryan Bollinger Pick 1427 by the Phillies

Ebert was the first ND player!!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Favre#1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 am

Yes im sorry about that...i forgot because he didnt play in North Dakota this year...my bad though
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby 09beckau » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Bollinger didnt even get drafted as a pitcher... u guys underestimate him a lot. he even went before frenzel who most of u guys said would go in the second round. idk if u guys saw this kids who went in the earlier rounds but they were head and shoulders above cole. maybe u guys will show bolly a little more respect now.
09beckau
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i_see_it_all » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:06 am

maybe if the kid could hit over .400 in a season someone would.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:38 am

High school players taken in the first-year draft can still play college baseball if they don’t sign a professional contract. If they don’t sign, however, they must wait until after their junior year of college, or until they are 21 years old, to be drafted again.

Lets say a player isn't drafted out of HS, can he then be drafted after his freshman or sophmore years in college?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 7andpoo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:06 am

09beckau wrote:Bollinger didnt even get drafted as a pitcher... u guys underestimate him a lot. he even went before frenzel who most of u guys said would go in the second round. idk if u guys saw this kids who went in the earlier rounds but they were head and shoulders above cole. maybe u guys will show bolly a little more respect now.

:| main reason he didnt get drafted that high is because he has told teams he is very serious about going to college. This isnt the NHL where if you draft a kid you have the rights to him all the way through college, once he chooses not to to go the minors, the MLB team that chose him just wasted a pick. So what team in their right mind would draft a kid who will go to college no matter what when they can spend a 2nd 3rd of 4th round pick on another great player that will play for them. Bollinger isnt that good compared to the rest of the country so please just stop. please. PLEASE.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby 09beckau » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm

7andpoo wrote:
09beckau wrote:Bollinger didnt even get drafted as a pitcher... u guys underestimate him a lot. he even went before frenzel who most of u guys said would go in the second round. idk if u guys saw this kids who went in the earlier rounds but they were head and shoulders above cole. maybe u guys will show bolly a little more respect now.

:| main reason he didnt get drafted that high is because he has told teams he is very serious about going to college. This isnt the NHL where if you draft a kid you have the rights to him all the way through college, once he chooses not to to go the minors, the MLB team that chose him just wasted a pick. So what team in their right mind would draft a kid who will go to college no matter what when they can spend a 2nd 3rd of 4th round pick on another great player that will play for them. Bollinger isnt that good compared to the rest of the country so please just stop. please. PLEASE.

7andpoo... he got drafted so he must be pretty good. did u get drafted... no so shut the heck up... please.
09beckau
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:35 am

09beckau wrote:
7andpoo wrote:

7andpoo... he got drafted so he must be pretty good. did u get drafted... no so shut the heck up... please.

I still dont understand this defensive appraoch to an arguement. "he's better then u so u cant talk". do you have to be good to know the game? im friends with a guy whose never played basketball on a team and he knows more about the game then most people i played with. what pick was he? like 1500?? so compared to the rest of the country he wasnt very good. above average, yes. but when comparing the elite, he isnt mentioned.

beck...were u drafted? no so that puts u in the same group with 7andpoo so why do u get to talk??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Class A