State Tournament Time

Re: State Tournament Time

Postby BaseballTonight » Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 pm

Give credit to noreiga from south as well for holding a Dickinson offense that had scored 23 runs in 2 games to 3 hits and one run
BaseballTonight
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Sun May 31, 2009 9:08 pm

Dickinson didnt show pitching depth...they threw Laylock two days. South threw a whole new guy. I think that shows depth...having enough confidence in your #3 pitcher and him throwing a great game.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby some random person » Sun May 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Baller wrote:Dickinson didnt show pitching depth...they threw Laylock two days. South threw a whole new guy. I think that shows depth...having enough confidence in your #3 pitcher and him throwing a great game.

whoa i wouldn't say noriega is their #3 pitcher, i would say he is their #1, a,b, or c pitcher. Any one of those three (kinglsey, ernst, noriega) could be the top pitcher on ALMOST any team, to have them on the same team is just fortunate for south obviously their great pitching went spoiled and have a lack of offense caught up at the worst time. But i think that noriega will be getting some calls for what he did against the dickenson cole frenzels. but go ahead and debate this post if you want.
some random person
NDPreps Reserve

Postby riders » Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

some random person wrote:Any one of those three (kinglsey, ernst, noriega) could be the top pitcher on ALMOST any team, to have them on the same team is just fortunate for south obviously their great pitching went spoiled and have a lack of offense caught up at the worst time. But i think that noriega will be getting some calls for what he did against the dickenson cole frenzels. but go ahead and debate this post if you want.

1. Frenzel had one hit in the championship game
2. Laylock pitched a no hitter, shutout, and was a full count walk away from a perfect game
3. Laylock threw 81 pitches in 7 innings, for those of you who aren't vary math sharp...thats just under an average of 12 per inning.
4. ERRORS
5. laylock had the only RBI in the game for the Dickinson "cole frenzels"-frenzel must really be the only decent player on that team :roll:
6. NOBODY FROM SOUTH COULD TOUCH LAYLOCK!!! thats not an offensive slump, thats playing against the best pitcher in the state
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brownbomber » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:58 am

Baller wrote:Dickinson didnt show pitching depth...they threw Laylock two days. South threw a whole new guy. I think that shows depth...having enough confidence in your #3 pitcher and him throwing a great game.

dickinson threw their #3 against minot for the wda championship why wouldnt you throw you ace if he only threw 30 pitches the first game he pitched. south should of thrown kingsley if they wanted it that badly
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby JR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 am

This is the reason why the high school state tournament is a joke. There is no reason that it should not be a double elimination tournament to decide the state championship. It is not basketball where more than likely the best team will win each game. In baseball the best pitcher can carry a team and win them 2 games in the state tournament. Having your best guy out there who is shut down win 2 of 3 games is crazy for me because then you really only need 2 pitchers where a double elim you could need up to 5 pitchers to show depth and really make the best team win
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Postby brownbomber » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:19 pm

JR wrote:

This is the reason why the high school state tournament is a joke. There is no reason that it should not be a double elimination tournament to decide the state championship. It is not basketball where more than likely the best team will win each game. In baseball the best pitcher can carry a team and win them 2 games in the state tournament. Having your best guy out there who is shut down win 2 of 3 games is crazy for me because then you really only need 2 pitchers where a double elim you could need up to 5 pitchers to show depth and really make the best team win

are you kidding me?i understand pitchers and their arms . All these excuses i understand south lost again but its not like they got killed they showed they could play with the west all weekend so why is it a joke the best team won, maybe if south would of got some breaks they would of won, you are a joke JR man up, thats sports, if a kid puts his team on his back he should be praised for shutting down teams .
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby JR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm

brownbomber wrote:
JR wrote:

are you kidding me?i understand pitchers and their arms . All these excuses i understand south lost again but its not like they got killed they showed they could play with the west all weekend so why is it a joke the best team won, maybe if south would of got some breaks they would of won, you are a joke JR man up, thats sports, if a kid puts his team on his back he should be praised for shutting down teams .

1st of all I could care less who won the state tournament and i am not making excuses. I am two years out of playing high school baseball and it really does not matter to me anymore unless west fargo is in it.

2nd of all I was not there to watch the teams to tell you who was the best team there. All i am saying is it sounds like Laylock was one of the top pitchers there and i feel that it is a joke that a team can run there #1 guy out there 2 times in the tournament and only have to win 1 game with another pitcher i feel that it doesnt mean that the best team will win. I feel that with a double elimination tournament the best team would win it because for a double elimination tournament the teams would need more depth in pitching. No where in my post was i making excuses that South should have won or Dickinson should have lost. Maybe Dickinson would have won it in a different format, maybe south would have lost to other teams along the way and another team would have gotten second place. That is what i am trying to say, not make excuses
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Postby some random person » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:35 pm

just trying to say that south has three potentially #1 starters for any team in the state... thats the problem with this website... you say one opinon and its gets spun into 50 different arguements that are not even related to each other.
some random person
NDPreps Reserve

Postby anyballgame45 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Both pitchers Laylock and Noriaga threw great games. The difference in the game was basically the balls South hit were right at someone. Look at the ball hit in the 7th inning to right field 10 feet left or right it would have been a double or a little air under it and it would have tied the game. It was a well played champioship game.
anyballgame45
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Class A