2009 Legion World Series in Fargo

2009 Legion World Series in Fargo

Postby baseball18 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:47 am

This years 2009 Legion World Series is being held in Fargo at Neuman Outdoor Park. I bet the North Dakota teams will be trying even more to get there this season!

http://www.post2baseball.com/2009worldseries.aspx
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2009 Legion World Series in Fargo

Postby Hockey10 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:22 am

What do you mean trying even more to get there? Everybody already tries as hard as they can to get there... why would you slack off and not try to make it there? having it somewhere further away would be better anyway. fargo is too small of a city to hold an event like this, it should be in a bigger city down south and it would be more fun for the teams too.
Hockey10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby greatbambino » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Hockey10 wrote:What do you mean trying even more to get there? Everybody already tries as hard as they can to get there... why would you slack off and not try to make it there? having it somewhere further away would be better anyway. fargo is too small of a city to hold an event like this, it should be in a bigger city down south and it would be more fun for the teams too.

fargo, nd: population 99,200
shelby, nc: population 19,447
bartlesville, ok: population 34,784
cedar rapids, iowa: population 126,396
rapid city, sd: population 59,607
corvallis, or: population 49,332

seems like fargo is one of the bigger cities thats hosted it in recent years. and i count two of those are in the southern half of the country. since 1994, its been played 4 times in southern states (shelby last year, bartlesville in 07 and 03, and las vegas in 98.) the weather in the beginning of august in the northern states is just the same, if not more tolerable, than any southern state. and this isnt fargos only large youth tournament its got this year, the u18 world hockey championship is in fargo this year. maybe you should reconsider your statements.
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball18 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Hockey10 wrote:What do you mean trying even more to get there? Everybody already tries as hard as they can to get there... why would you slack off and not try to make it there? having it somewhere further away would be better anyway. fargo is too small of a city to hold an event like this, it should be in a bigger city down south and it would be more fun for the teams too.

way to take my statement out of context. i didnt mean in all the other years they dont try... lets be logical here. what i meant is, who wouldn't wanna play in the world series, especially when it's going to be played in your home city or state...
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:05 pm

greatbambino wrote:

fargo, nd: population 99,200
shelby, nc: population 19,447
bartlesville, ok: population 34,784
cedar rapids, iowa: population 126,396
rapid city, sd: population 59,607
corvallis, or: population 49,332

seems like fargo is one of the bigger cities thats hosted it in recent years. and i count two of those are in the southern half of the country. since 1994, its been played 4 times in southern states (shelby last year, bartlesville in 07 and 03, and las vegas in 98.) the weather in the beginning of august in the northern states is just the same, if not more tolerable, than any southern state. and this isnt fargos only large youth tournament its got this year, the u18 world hockey championship is in fargo this year. maybe you should reconsider your statements.

This is great for the state and Fargo...don't let population fool you either, I have played in a few regionals and a world series if you add up the population of all of them it equals 50,610 and the smallest population hosted the series...its not about the amount of people in a town/city I actually like the smaller ones where everyone knows everyone they seem alot closer and more open to new comers!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm

i believe they put this stuff in smaller cities/towns because those are the type of communities that will support the event quite a bit. in smaller towns the citizens are really supportive of this type of stuff. fargo's one of the bigger cities to host the legion world series
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 am

Bigger cities could care less about an event like this. The attendance would be terrible. Thats why it is held in cities like Fargo because of the interest it can generate around the community.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby SportsDoc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 am

What American Legion wants is a location where it will be the premier event in that location that summer. So larger cities just don't work. No one comes out to watch. I was in Cedar Rapids. Beautiful ballpark. New Class A park for an Angels farm team. Holds 5,000. Best session attendance was only 1,800. Great baseball, and nobody came.

Fargo will do very well. The attendance will be great, and the park is excellent for the teams. The deep South has some issues. Late August is very hot and very humid the further South and East you go. Fargo's weather should be a plus, too. Just hope it doesn't rain!
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Class A