Fiechtner named coach of Fargo

Fiechtner named coach of Fargo

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:44 am

The Fargo American Legion baseball program on Sunday named Jeff Fiechtner as its new head coach.

Fiechtner, who played for the program in the mid 1970s, becomes the 22nd head coach in the program’s history. He succeeds Bill Ibach, who was not retained after eight years as head coach of the team.

Fiechtner, a member of the Fargo American Legion Hall of Fame, played for Fargo from 1974 to 1976 and was named the North Dakota Legion Player of the Year following the 1976 season.

He’s also held assistant coach positions with the Fargo American Legion on several occasions, the last coming from 1992 to 1996.

After leaving the Fargo program, Fiechtner played college baseball at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Ariz., where he helped the team win two NAIA national championships. He eventually reached the Double A level with the San Diego Padres.

For the past 11 years Fiechtner has been the head coach of the Fargo North high school baseball program, leading the Spartans to one state championship in 2002, two state runnerup finishes (2003 and 2006), four Eastern Dakota Conference tournament titles and three EDC regular-season championships.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Fiechtner named coach of Fargo

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 am

I don't like this, I persoanlly feel that if there are more than one high schools in the community you can't choose a coach that is a head coach from one of them, I know Bismarck has that rule, which is why the previous coach is no longer coaching. If the North coach is the head coach I feel that Shanley, South, Oak Grove should all be equally represented by coaches doesnt have to be the school head coach just some form of representation. Nothing aginst the guy, I don't know him but all schools should be represented or have a coach with no school affiliation. Just my $0.02
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shs01240 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 pm

Saucesauer wrote:I don't like this, I persoanlly feel that if there are more than one high schools in the community you can't choose a coach that is a head coach from one of them, I know Bismarck has that rule, which is why the previous coach is no longer coaching. If the North coach is the head coach I feel that Shanley, South, Oak Grove should all be equally represented by coaches doesnt have to be the school head coach just some form of representation. Nothing aginst the guy, I don't know him but all schools should be represented or have a coach with no school affiliation. Just my $0.02

It's attitudes like that have contributed to the ails of Post 2. The problem with Post 2 doesn't lie within its coaching staff. It doesn't come from whiny parents. It comes directly from the players. Until the team can get past petty excuses like the one present in your post, they will go nowhere at state. They have a simple job, bust your tail everyday, keep your mouth shut, respect the game, your coaches and your teammates.

(In no means is this an attack on you, Saucesauer, I'm just venting)
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:58 pm

shs01240 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:I don't like this, I persoanlly feel that if there are more than one high schools in the community you can't choose a coach that is a head coach from one of them, I know Bismarck has that rule, which is why the previous coach is no longer coaching. If the North coach is the head coach I feel that Shanley, South, Oak Grove should all be equally represented by coaches doesnt have to be the school head coach just some form of representation. Nothing aginst the guy, I don't know him but all schools should be represented or have a coach with no school affiliation. Just my $0.02

It's attitudes like that have contributed to the ails of Post 2. The problem with Post 2 doesn't lie within its coaching staff. It doesn't come from whiny parents. It comes directly from the players. Until the team can get past petty excuses like the one present in your post, they will go nowhere at state. They have a simple job, bust your tail everyday, keep your mouth shut, respect the game, your coaches and your teammates.

No its all good, I just feel that either you have some form of representation of all fargo high schools ie pitching coach head coach 2 assistants. or bring in a neutral party to coach...fargo should be the best team in the state year in and year out I dont want there to be favorites played twords the north kids if that makes sense
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shs01240 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
shs01240 wrote:

No its all good, I just feel that either you have some form of representation of all fargo high schools ie pitching coach head coach 2 assistants. or bring in a neutral party to coach...fargo should be the best team in the state year in and year out I dont want there to be favorites played twords the north kids if that makes sense

I completely understand, but I have a little more faith in coaches at this level to make the best lineup possible everyday. Regardless of school affiliation. You would think the drive to win trumps any former loyalties.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:23 pm

shs01240 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
shs01240 wrote:

I completely understand, but I have a little more faith in coaches at this level to make the best lineup possible everyday. Regardless of school affiliation. You would think the drive to win trumps any former loyalties.

True true, but where does that drive end? I guess my only concern is will he be trying to devolope the North underclassmen for next hs season?
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SportsDoc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Jeff is a quality guy, and a baseball guy. Fargo is lucky to have him. He will not play favorites. Too much class to do anything but the right thing every time. And, unless you hire someone with no Fargo ties, they are going to have some ties to one school or another. Coached there, played there, live near there, something. You won't get away from that.

True story: State HS Tournament a few years ago, North is playing Minot, Minot is winning. There are pitching regulations as to innings pitched per week. Jeff comes out before an inning and says if he (Minot pitcher) throws another pitch, he'll be over the limit (meaning Minot would have had to forfeit the game to North). Minot coach wasn't keeping track or didn't know this. They checked, Jeff was right. Minot changes pitchers and wins the game. He could have let the kid throw a pitch and won the game (the wrong way). Instead he allowed the game to be decided by the players on the field. Total class guy, and a no nonsense guy, too.

Post 2 will be in good hands with Coach Fiechtner, but I have to say I always respected Bill Ibach, too. Also a class guy, on and off the field.

To me, character and integrity are best exemplified by what you do when no one is looking. Both these guys have it.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Class A