Best player in 2009

Re: Best player in 2009

Postby Number7 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:
Number7 wrote:I agree that 90% of the pitchers trying to get it over the plate is crap. But ya if every pitch you throw the frenzel is a fastball of course he will turn on one on the inside corner. Thats why you set it up with effective off-speed pitches to change his eye level and timing, then try to bust him inside

what is there 19-20 teams in the state? each team throws at least 5 pitchers during the year. thats 100 pitchers.

now im not alfred einstein, but you give me 10 names that can spot up when they want and that equals your 90%. i know your an ND pitcher, but your just not as good as your mom and dad tell you.

the more i think about it, its probably 95%, i can name 3-4 pitchers than can spot up when they want.

So when you say spot up do you mean a curveball two inches off the plate below the knee or strictly inside/outside corner? Cuz i was refering to corners and keeping it underneath the belt. I know that more than 10% of the pitchers in the state can consistenly hit corners of the plate when they want to
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:13 pm

thats basically just trying to throw strikes..i want to see 10 players with the control of bollinger and laylock. putting any pitch in their repitore anywhere they want at any time they want
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 7andpoo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 pm

riders wrote:thats basically just trying to throw strikes..i want to see 10 players with the control of bollinger and laylock. putting any pitch in their repitore anywhere they want at any time they want

bollinger cant even do that, walked himself out of the game at state last year
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:21 pm

ok that may or may not be true..but more than 90% of nd pitchers just try to throw a strike, praying that its on the corner and thats its lower than the batter's belt. most have enough control or enough familiarity with themselves that they are able to keep the ball low, but hitting corners and any other spot consistently is out of the question for a vast majority of the pitchers in the state.
Last edited by riders on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 09beckau » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 am

yeah bollinger has no control... he's just getting looked at by pro teams for occasionally putting a pitch across the plate. :roll:
09beckau
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 7andpoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:28 pm

09beckau wrote:yeah bollinger has no control... he's just getting looked at by pro teams for occasionally putting a pitch across the plate. :roll:

listen you ignorant fool, I did not say he has no control, im just saying that he's not better then every pro pitcher out there and can put any pitch anywhere he wants whenever he wants without mistakes. 32 walks he had last summer. For someone who can spot up at any time thats a lot of walks. I have gone against him, he's is very good with lots of room for potential, but as of right now I laugh at the thought that he could throw a d-1 game RIGHT NOW. He has the tools, but it is up to him to get to that point cause he is not there right now.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:37 pm

if you are going to say someone is so great, back it up with some info or some stats to help to prove your point. i give all the credit in the world to bollinger for his accomplishments, being a d-1 and pro prospect, as well as signing with IW. VERY FEW pitchers in north dakota have the ability to spot up any pitch in their arsenal at any time they want. if all you are going to say is rhetorical things like your past couple posts, please leave the posting to those who will contribute something useful to this topic
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 7andpoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 pm

7andpoo wrote:32 walks he had last summer

You not good reader very much
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm

he is still a successful pitcher
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 7andpoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Im not saying that, I am saying he is not a d-1 pitcher RIGHT NOW, and 8-4 record in legion is good but not holy balls he's good, less then a k/inning isnt great for north dakota hitting either, like i said he's got the tools but he still has work ahead of him
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 pm

i do agree with that 7
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 09beckau » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:47 pm

guys I think 3 of bollinger's 4 loses were by one run. but him and cole are both very very good and I wish them both the best of luck this year. it should be one heck of a game when those two play each other.
09beckau
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 7andpoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:37 pm

dont matter if you lose by an inch or a mile, losings losing (or something like that ha) and that also shows he cant win the tight games, the "intangibles" you need for the next level. Have to get it done someway somehow
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby i_see_it_all » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:24 am

09beckau wrote:guys I think 3 of bollinger's 4 loses were by one run. but him and cole are both very very good and I wish them both the best of luck this year. it should be one heck of a game when those two play each other.

you need to quit putting bollinger and frenzel on the same level....bollinger isnt anywhere close to the player frenzel is. if you want to start a thread about the 2nd best player in the state, be my guest. now thats debatable.

and you sure seem to know every little detail/stat/site about bollinger. kinda strange. either were talking to bollinger himself or someone has a crush :wink:
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby 09beckau » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:25 pm

no. all these stats are on the vistas web site. I no who bollinger is and hes a pretty quite guy. I never said he was better than cole I'm just saying that he's a dang good player who needs to be in this conversation.
09beckau
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 7andpoo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:50 pm

09beckau wrote:no. all these stats are on the vistas web site. I no who bollinger is and hes a pretty quite guy. I never said he was better than cole I'm just saying that he's a dang good player who needs to be in this conversation.

Exactly, very good. Not best. Kingsley is very good, i think egge will be very good this year. But in reality noone belongs in this discussion other then cole. Last year you had wentz elgie and steckler to argue with but not anymore
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bliz5 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Wow 7andpoo you really don't have a clue. Frenzel is a big fish in a little pond. Bolling has already proven that had succeed as a little fish in a big pond. You might have to light on that one from the sounds of you posts.

You have no clue on bollinger's background. you might want to do a ltitle reading on the kid. do you know what dizzy dean is . . . well he is in their record books for their world series when he lived in florida . I knew this kid when he lived there and have been following him for many years to just see how he progresses. He has also played on traveling teams in arkansas and florida and played against cuban teams. he's also pitched the traveling team he was on to second place in the disney classic in 2005. he has more time playing of of this state than frenzel does playing in it the state of north dakota. he's pitched against the best in the nation for AAA baseball and has beaten them. look up Nicevile traveling eagles from 2001 to 2005 if they have stats back then and you'll see who should be claimed the best! Oh yeah he's also played on the Minnesota Blizzard by being invited to play. Don't see that on frenzel's list of things he has done.
Bliz5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Bliz5 wrote:Wow 7andpoo you really don't have a clue. Frenzel is a big fish in a little pond. Bolling has already proven that had succeed as a little fish in a big pond. You might have to light on that one from the sounds of you posts.

You have no clue on bollinger's background. you might want to do a ltitle reading on the kid. do you know what dizzy dean is . . . well he is in their record books for their world series when he lived in florida . I knew this kid when he lived there and have been following him for many years to just see how he progresses. He has also played on traveling teams in arkansas and florida and played against cuban teams. he's also pitched the traveling team he was on to second place in the disney classic in 2005. he has more time playing of of this state than frenzel does playing in it the state of north dakota. he's pitched against the best in the nation for AAA baseball and has beaten them. look up Nicevile traveling eagles from 2001 to 2005 if they have stats back then and you'll see who should be claimed the best! Oh yeah he's also played on the Minnesota Blizzard by being invited to play. Don't see that on frenzel's list of things he has done.

is it just me or am i reading chinese jibberish? can someone please translate this post. exhibit A: "he has more time playing of of this state than frenzel does playing in it the state of north dakota." :lol:

frenzel is going to the university of arizona, bollinger is going to a junior college. frenzel is north dakota's #1 rank on perfect game, bollinger is far behind at #2 being ranked 966. frenzel has been invited to national showcases and power HR derby showcases, bollinger has been on a minnesota blizzard team and played against cubans. frenzel has been quoted on perfect game with "He has big power potential and could develop into one of the nation's top hitters" bollinger "is a good bet to throw harder."
see where im going with this? I don't think anyone here wants to look up the niceville traveling eagles from 2001. im sure they have a website with a message board though, go take your flimsy argument over there.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm loving the debate. Hating the personal attacks. I don't want to have to delete whole posts based on one dumb sentence. Things like "you really don't have a clue" don't belong.

Thanks
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 pm

i side with i_see_it_all. you really cant put bollinger on the same level as frenzel. yes bollinger has been successful in the past few years but frenzel has been playing legion/varsity baseball since the 7th and 8th grade, and he was successful even then. look at the difference in schools that they are going to. Arizona vs. UIW. yes, they are a juco powerhouse but not a d-1 powerhouse. both are successful players but frenzel is head and shoulders, and the rest of the body, above the rest.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:40 pm

riders wrote:ok that may or may not be true..but more than 90% of nd pitchers just try to throw a strike, praying that its on the corner and thats its lower than the batter's belt. most have enough control or enough familiarity with themselves that they are able to keep the ball low, but hitting corners and any other spot consistently is out of the question for a vast majority of the pitchers in the state.

I think that it is not just a pitcher, If you can get a good catcher that can set up and "frame" a ball pitchers and hit corners...9 times out of 10 in high school ball if the catcher doesnt have to move and can catch it and drop his glove the pitcher will be sucessful. I cant even count the number of times I had a catcher set up a foot outside or I set up outside for a set up pitch and the batter was rung up because you hit the glove and showed control.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 7andpoo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Bliz5 wrote:Wow 7andpoo you really don't have a clue. Frenzel is a big fish in a little pond. Bolling has already proven that had succeed as a little fish in a big pond. You might have to light on that one from the sounds of you posts.

LOL i believe i know more then you about the topic because I have faced the kid numerous times. His fastball just isnt good enough to be considered great. I have seen Frenzel hit a lot and I have never seen a kid who hits as many line drives as he does. Along with the fact that he is a very very very patient hitter makes him so dangerous. You also bring up that Bollinger has done in the past. Well instead of looking back to when most kids havent reached puberty yet, go to the last team he played. 8-4, less then 3:1 k-bb ratio, not dominate in any way. Also walked a game away against south at state last year. Very good yes, but heck I wasn't even scared of striking out against him and I was a terrible TERRIBLE hitter. Go ahead and bring up ancient history ill go with his most recent team. Im done debating this cause its not a debate its a beatdown of facts.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:33 pm

throwing 91 mph from shortstop and being fast for his size also help frenzel's cause..the MLB average for shortstops throwing to 1B is 86 mph...you tell me if frenzel has the tools to become great(er)
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MHSfan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:12 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:

is it just me or am i reading chinese jibberish? can someone please translate this post. exhibit A: "he has more time playing of of this state than frenzel does playing in it the state of north dakota." :lol:

frenzel is going to the university of arizona, bollinger is going to a junior college. frenzel is north dakota's #1 rank on perfect game, bollinger is far behind at #2 being ranked 966. frenzel has been invited to national showcases and power HR derby showcases, bollinger has been on a minnesota blizzard team and played against cubans. frenzel has been quoted on perfect game with "He has big power potential and could develop into one of the nation's top hitters" bollinger "is a good bet to throw harder."
see where im going with this? I don't think anyone here wants to look up the niceville traveling eagles from 2001. im sure they have a website with a message board though, go take your flimsy argument over there.

Okay, first off... Ryan could've signed at a major d-1 college, he was getting plenty of looks to. He is going to get to play a lot of baseball right away at iowa western, Cole is going to have to work his butt off to play right away. I can think of numerous times this school year when Ryan would miss class on a friday because he had to get to iowa and other places for these invites for showcases. Ryan could've gone to these power showcases too but he didn't want to shell out the big bucks to hit some baseballs. Ryans got a ton of untapped potential to get to. He hasn't seriously lifted weights at all, he's got the frame to get absolutely huge.
I know this topic isn't on potential, but the only true way of seeing who will be the best player this year will be to wait until the season gets underway...that is if we can get any games in this year haha.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:52 pm

mhs fan, do you wear that helmet to protect you from your head injury?? its obivous your not thinking clearly.

none of you make a legit argument about bollinger... its all oh he couldve done this, he couldve gone here, anyone can say oh he "couldve, should've". you hear it all the time. show me something. the guy is going to iowa western, just as 15 other kids from ND in the past 5 years have. how many have went to arizona?

I just took at the draft list from Jim ranch himself which has the draft prospects from north dakota (high school and college). there was 1 name on the list from north dakota and it wasnt a left handed pitcher from minot.

funny thing is if bollinger played for dickinson he'd be the number 2 starter behind laylock. right now stephen is the best pitcher in the state.

lets move this along to frenzel vs laylock. there would be better arguments.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class A