Change 2nd game of Region Doubleheaders

Change 2nd game of Region Doubleheaders

Postby demon_fan14 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Am i the only one who thinks the 2nd game of the night(nonconference) is worthless and should either be made a conference game or not be played at all? Its pretty much a Varsity game with JV players from what Ive seen. Thoughts?
demon_fan14

Re: Change 2nd game of Region Doubleheaders

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Highheat we my have different opinions on this because i knew everygame i pitched was worthless, and when i can get 7 or 8 strikeouts in 1 game somthing is terriablly wrong, what they should do is make them both conference games, keep the 30 game season and use the roughly 10 extra games and play teams from the other conference, montana, SD, or minn.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demon_fan14 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Saucesauer wrote:Highheat we my have different opinions on this because i knew everygame i pitched was worthless, and when i can get 7 or 8 strikeouts in 1 game somthing is terriablly wrong, what they should do is make them both conference games, keep the 30 game season and use the roughly 10 extra games and play teams from the other conference, montana, SD, or minn.

i like the idea of 2 conference games.......it would reward the teams who have more deph at the pitching position.......or maybe one nine inning game would be good I think.
demon_fan14

Postby HeHateMe » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:29 pm

I wish our team even played 30 games... I knew we're scheduled for about 24 or so but thats even hard when the fields aren't ready to go until 3 weeks into the actual season
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 pm

highheat wrote:
demon_fan14 wrote:Am i the only one who thinks the 2nd game of the night(nonconference) is worthless and should either be made a conference game or not be played at all? Its pretty much a Varsity game with JV players from what Ive seen. Thoughts?

its actually a varsity game with varsity players and some jv players. its an opportunity for the coaches to play kids that are on varsity but dont play in the conference games. and its more games to be played. do you want them to cut the schedule down to 15 games and only play conference games or let them have a 30 game season and play those "worthless" second games? i bet the kids playing in those games dont think theyre "worthless".

i completely agree with highheat on this one. it gives some of the JV kids some varsity experience for the next year and it is still a big deal to those who are playing in it. it may not count as a conference game but i dont think that the players are out there to mess around and lose. if youre playing in the game you are expected to play like it is a game that actually does determine the season's outcome. and i dont think that the JV kids that get the oppertunity to play will mess around, they are playing for a varsity spot and i think thats enough motivation to play hard.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:39 pm

riders wrote:
highheat wrote:
demon_fan14 wrote:Am i the only one who thinks the 2nd game of the night(nonconference) is worthless and should either be made a conference game or not be played at all? Its pretty much a Varsity game with JV players from what Ive seen. Thoughts?

its actually a varsity game with varsity players and some jv players. its an opportunity for the coaches to play kids that are on varsity but dont play in the conference games. and its more games to be played. do you want them to cut the schedule down to 15 games and only play conference games or let them have a 30 game season and play those "worthless" second games? i bet the kids playing in those games dont think theyre "worthless".

i completely agree with highheat on this one. it gives some of the JV kids some varsity experience for the next year and it is still a big deal to those who are playing in it. it may not count as a conference game but i dont think that the players are out there to mess around and lose. if youre playing in the game you are expected to play like it is a game that actually does determine the season's outcome. and i dont think that the JV kids that get the oppertunity to play will mess around, they are playing for a varsity spot and i think thats enough motivation to play hard.

I fully disagree for our 2nd games last year there were maybe 2 non starters playin the second game which means 7 guys on the field both games and we made it pretty apparent we didnt care, i feel they are usless because not very many jv kids actually play its mostly seniors who dont play the first game
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:44 pm

save your arm for when it is warm
join track
run jump and throw while there is snow
save America's game until there is sunshine and the games are less lame :lol:
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:41 pm

I didn't say watch track I said join.

Have you watched a HS baseball game in April? Yuck
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:19 pm

well you cant really join track cause they arent man enough to go outside when its cold like today a meet was cancelled in dickinson before it snowed. it was pretty cold for baseball but you didnt see any games being cancelled. so you cant really run and jump and throw in track. you would actually play more if you played baseball
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby squeak63 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:19 am

i do think that the secnod game needs to be shorter or they need to move the start of the first game up... last night the bhs guys didn't get out off the feild untill like 9:15... so thats about 5 and a half hours of being outside in the cold and playing baseball... i know moving the times up wouldn't change how long the game lasts but at least it wouldn't be so late untill the game is over... possible since the 2nd game is non conference they could make it like 5 innings?
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Olgrz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:59 am

squeak63 wrote:i do think that the secnod game needs to be shorter or they need to move the start of the first game up... last night the bhs guys didn't get out off the feild untill like 9:15... so thats about 5 and a half hours of being outside in the cold and playing baseball... i know moving the times up wouldn't change how long the game lasts but at least it wouldn't be so late untill the game is over... possible since the 2nd game is non conference they could make it like 5 innings?

They are 5 innings.
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby riders » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 am

i think that the weather has alot to do with the 2nd game being only 5 innings. the cold isnt good on arms and why put the players through more than they have to for a a game that doesnt count for anything but an overall record. makes sense to me to call it in 5.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball30 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:40 pm

Since when has any of the second games been 7 innings..I played for 4 years of high school varsity and have never seen a second game be 7 innings.
baseball30

Postby Number7 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Are all you guys from the west? Because in the east every second game I have ever seen has been 7 innings unless there is bad weather
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Number7 wrote:Are all you guys from the west? Because in the east every second game I have ever seen has been 7 innings unless there is bad weather

When I played from 05-07 all of the 2nd games were always 5 innings
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeHateMe » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 pm

highheat wrote:
Number7 wrote:Are all you guys from the west? Because in the east every second game I have ever seen has been 7 innings unless there is bad weather

must be a west thing.

Must be... Ive never seen a 5th inning game unless the weather was bad or one of the teams has a problem with it.
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 am

every 2nd game ive ever seen in high school baseball has been a 5 inning game
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:29 pm

highheat wrote:
riders wrote:every 2nd game ive ever seen in high school baseball has been a 5 inning game

as has already been said, its a west thing. however, when i played against bismarck high we played two 7s.

that might be because of a makeup game. if a game is snowed/rained out, the next series is two 7 inning games. makes sense because both then count for conference record.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:58 pm

riders wrote:
highheat wrote:
riders wrote:every 2nd game ive ever seen in high school baseball has been a 5 inning game

as has already been said, its a west thing. however, when i played against bismarck high we played two 7s.

that might be because of a makeup game. if a game is snowed/rained out, the next series is two 7 inning games. makes sense because both then count for conference record.

Even if the 2nd game isnt a conference game it is still 7 innings...in the east. For example, North and South's doubleheader for fri got cancelled. So they will try to re-schedule that doubleheader on a different date than their next doubleheader and only the first one will a conference game, but the 2nd one will be seven innings. I dont know why it is so hard for some west guys to comprehend. Its not a big deal just another two innings on the second game. I understand that can occasionally take longer than expected, but its just the way they work the schedules.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:48 pm

thats not what i was trying to say. i was saying that highheat might have played 2 7inning games because of a rain/snow out. i dont know where youre from so i wouldnt know. you said bhs so i assumed west, however it isnt always the same conference. thats the only time the west plays 7's. the west doesnt reschedule, they merely play 2 7's instead to make them both conference games and omit the previous doubleheader. i fully comprehend the east-west thing and im not sure why the west doesnt play 7's. 2 more innings means what 30 min longer. i think the west should change to 7's
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demon_fan14 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:57 pm

went to the 2nd game of a doubleheader the other day......the lack of intensity made me sick
demon_fan14

Postby billy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 am

demon_fan14 wrote:went to the 2nd game of a doubleheader the other day......the lack of intensity made me sick

thats because it was a bismarck high game
billy

Postby Riotmaker#9 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 am

Personally, i think we should play the first game a 7 and the second a 5.
"They call me Birdman Jr. I'm flyer than the rest. I'm trying to get a couple cool pigeons to the nest."
Riotmaker#9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby armada113 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 am

Fargo Shanley and Grand Forks RR were on the field until 10:30. This early in the season the second game is ridiculous because of the weather no matter if its a 5 or a 7. North Dakota isnt a state made for baseball.
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby armada113 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:21 pm

highheat wrote:
armada113 wrote:Fargo Shanley and Grand Forks RR were on the field until 10:30. This early in the season the second game is ridiculous because of the weather no matter if its a 5 or a 7. North Dakota isnt a state made for baseball.

the second game of that double header was a conference game. so regardless of how long you think it shouldve been or wether or not it shouldve been played even, it was a 7 inning game that counted so it had to be played.

I realize it was a double header but a high school baseball game shouldnt be played till that time. Especially when it was as cold as it was that night. Regardless of whether its a conference game or not
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Class A