Nicest field/ field extras in state..

Nicest field/ field extras in state..

Postby JR » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:58 pm

I would have to say that the nicest all around field in my mind would be minot... the way the field is kept is just unbelieveable... We were there one year and they took a level around the bases to make sure they were flat... that is amazing..

For the excessories
i would say that the Ivy in Jamestown
The stadium type seating at Fargo is nice
Dugouts in Minot
Scoreboard at WF

What r ur opionions??
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Re: Nicest field/ field extras in state..

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:21 pm

i like willistons underground duggouts. Mandan's field is pretty nice. Minot is amazing, probably my favorite place to play. And Jamestown is positioned perfectly for the sun.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby sharpey24 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 pm

For extras, you gotta like the atmoshpere of Wahpeton. Sunk down in Chahinkapa park like that, it's pretty cool and the wood fence and warning track are nice as well.

Minot is the best park in the state...bar none.
sharpey24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby shs01240 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:37 am

Ming01 wrote:i like willistons underground duggouts. Mandan's field is pretty nice. Minot is amazing, probably my favorite place to play. And Jamestown is positioned perfectly for the sun.

The sun not cool at third in Jamestown, but other than that its the best in the state.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:53 am

shs01240 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:i like willistons underground duggouts. Mandan's field is pretty nice. Minot is amazing, probably my favorite place to play. And Jamestown is positioned perfectly for the sun.

The sun not cool at third in Jamestown, but other than that its the best in the state.

that must be for day games then? at night it is pretty perfect
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby shs01240 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:28 am

Ming01 wrote:
shs01240 wrote:

that must be for day games then? at night it is pretty perfect

When it starts to set in the evening, it has always caught my left eye. It wouldn't be a big deal, but there is a light pole that sometimes blocks the sun, so when you move it appears again. I'm probably making too big of a deal about it, as Jack is WAY worse for third baseman and left fielders.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Kraft field has the press box directly behind home which is definately something different and I like the picnic tables down the 3rd base line there too
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby KnowDak » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:17 pm

Nicest fields IMO
top 3 ... Corbett in Minot, Jack Brown in Jamestown and Memorial in Mandan.
Jack Williams in Fargo and Aafedt Field Williston are also top 5 nice fields....
Best extras, without a doubt, the double cheeseburgers with fried onions at Williston.
KnowDak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:42 pm

knowdak nailed it
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby MHSfan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:30 am

Minot is also doing some renovations to their field in the spring to get ready for the central plains legion tournament this summer. Also with the addition of the new diamonds in Minot, Corbett won't be used nearly as much and will be in better playing condition then ever.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Damus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 am

Big Fan of Minot...but unless something has changed, those are the worst dugouts in the state! Almost had a brawl in a college game b/c Minot St. was stealing signs from our catcher...(Seriously, right behind the catcher???)

Jamestown has the best park...It's only problem? It gets used so much, the playing surface (mainly the OF) is bumpy...but they take care of the infield and baby that thing.

WORST? without a doubt, the Helling/Teamsters in Fargo. My goodness...I wish they would start over. Those are TERRIBLE. No batter's eye, no fountains, no seating, just an awful all the way around complex.
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Damus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:07 pm

I had heard that about the Tharaldson complex...there was also a rumor that someone "offered to buy the land, b/c of the value (location, location, location), and that they were willing to relocate further south, and build a brand new complex." Don't quote me on it....just, "what i heard."

If that's true, that would be terrific. But they better not just throw something up quickly, and forget certain aspects...

(For one...when they first built that place, they had to re-do the underwater sprinkler system...there was a ditch running from 3rd base, all the way to Right Center field...It was the most gaaawd awful thing of all time...total eyesore, and if you were playing the left side of the infield, it was a crap shoot)
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mauer07 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:28 pm

top 3 Minot, Mandan, and Williston

Bimarck's field is so terrible, it would be really nice if they took care of it
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Damus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:44 pm

I can't believe people would put MANDAN over jametown when it comes to parks...Mandan doesn't even REGISTER in my mind...Houses as your back drop? Advertisements on the walls? Bad seating...(this might've changed)

J-town has it ALL...Scenery, (Set in McElroy Park), Huge WOOD grandstand, Bleachers running down 1st base line, IVy...
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Strike3? » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Damus wrote:I can't believe people would put MANDAN over jametown when it comes to parks...Mandan doesn't even REGISTER in my mind...Houses as your back drop? Advertisements on the walls? Bad seating...(this might've changed)

J-town has it ALL...Scenery, (Set in McElroy Park), Huge WOOD grandstand, Bleachers running down 1st base line, IVy...

I dont know when the last time you have been to the field in Mandan but there is some good seating..They had a bunch of stuff redone a couple of years ago...Personally i love the advertisements on the walls..I also enjoy playing at Jack Brown to..the ivys pretty sweet and its a well kept field...good baseball setting..it is all in the eye of the beholder on which field you like better.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Willy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Jamestown has the best atmosphere because it's a throwback to baseball's glory days in North Dakota. When the original grandstand burned down in the early 90's, great lengths were taken to replicate the original. Unfortunatly the grandstand seating in Jamestown is quite uncomfortable and gets dirty as the bench seats also get used as walkways. Give Mandan credit for much more comfortable seating, much, much nicer restrooms, and better concessions. Both are great parks but for different reasons.
Willy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Strike3? » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Willy wrote:Jamestown has the best atmosphere because it's a throwback to baseball's glory days in North Dakota. When the original grandstand burned down in the early 90's, great lengths were taken to replicate the original. Unfortunatly the grandstand seating in Jamestown is quite uncomfortable and gets dirty as the bench seats also get used as walkways. Give Mandan credit for much more comfortable seating, much, much nicer restrooms, and better concessions. Both are great parks but for different reasons.

cant agree more..well said
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Plus for everyone at Class A state in Jamestown last year. That field took an absolute pounding with all of the rain, but it held up and the crew did a phenomenal job having the field ready for every game so the tourney wasnt too far behind schedule.
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby MrFearing » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm

I think Williston's is great.

Other people must think so too, because they hosted the Babe Ruth world series there a few years back, and also held the Midwest Regional tournament in the past two years.

Has any other ND town hosted a world series....jw
MrFearing

Postby Strike3? » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:29 pm

MrFearing wrote:I think Williston's is great.

Other people must think so too, because they hosted the Babe Ruth world series there a few years back, and also held the Midwest Regional tournament in the past two years.

Um...i think Fargo has in the past and if I'm not mistaken they are again in the upcoming couple years i cant remeber when but i think its like summer of 09 maybe? for Legion baseball..
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:47 pm

Strike3? wrote:

Um...i think Fargo has in the past and if I'm not mistaken they are again in the upcoming couple years i cant remeber when but i think its like summer of 09 maybe? for Legion baseball..

I think they have hosted around three and yea the summer of '09 or '10 sounds right
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:37 am

That was a great tourny, its when the whole field turned around! they also hosted the ws in 1980-1984 one of those years i dont quite remember, but mandan is still by far my favorite, jack is ok i personally like how half the outfield fence is rotting and differnt shades of green.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Damus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:34 pm

Jamestown's Jack Brown stadium will be undergoing a facelift I believe very soon...For starters, they are getting a brand new scoreboard...I also believe they are replacing some of the rotting wood on the fence.

I did mention that I knew Mandan's park was getting a face lift...but it's been a couple of years since I've been there. (Last time...was during the construction)

Williston is also a very nice park...but again, if memory serves correct, playing the left side is a pain in the John Q Hindquarters b/c you are staring directly into a setting sun. That, and you smoke your noggin on the dugout all the time.
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby b-baller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Damus wrote:Jamestown's Jack Brown stadium will be undergoing a facelift I believe very soon...For starters, they are getting a brand new scoreboard...I also believe they are replacing some of the rotting wood on the fence.

How about the urinal that is about to rust through and leak on your feet?
b-baller

Postby demon_fan14 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:17 am

id have to say my favorite field is mandan/minot.....i wish they would fix up our diamond
demon_fan14

Next

Return to Class A