Who are the favorites next year for high school?

Postby King23 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:17 pm

who are the favorites in the 2008 high school baseball season?
King James 23...you better reconize
King23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby brownbomber » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 pm

dickinson minot
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby 7andpoo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:12 pm

South will be up there if they can find even a small amount of offense. I agree with dickinson, they will be very good, but disagree with minot. Elgie isn't Elgie with wood bats, and i don't think they do well.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:44 pm

7andpoo wrote:South will be up there if they can find even a small amount of offense. I agree with dickinson, they will be very good, but disagree with minot. Elgie isn't Elgie with wood bats, and i don't think they do well.

yeah, but minot is minot...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ..... » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:19 pm

very good point. they always find a way to get it done
NDPreps Rookie

Postby whateverittakes » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:15 pm

EDC will be like this IMO

Fargo South 1

2 fargo north

3 red river

4 shanley

5 west fargo

6wahpeton

7central

8 Devils Lake
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Where do you see North's offense coming from besides Shelton and Fiske and what arms besides Larson and Shutz?  Plus Shanley can't ride Jagim all year long and where do you see the rst of their pitching coming from?
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby highheat » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:32 pm

shanley has all sorts of young talent that will put up runs like jagim, mike jones, shweigert, kays, and mathern. so when jagim isnt pitching, theyll have to hope they put runs on the board in order to win. as for north, a good 1-2 pitching combo in schutz and larson will win them a good chunk of conference games and fiechtner year in and year out finds a way to bring out the best in his players.  north had some very productive players on bombers this summer like zach braaten and cristian barnum. north will struggle at catcher and the only outfielder returning is ethan shnabel.

i expect south to run the east this year. three returning starting pitchers that were good last year and will be better this year. nuff said. youre all probably bored by now from reading my rambling.
highheat

Postby Ming01 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:28 pm

isnt shelton a catcher?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby highheat » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:01 am

i would say that was a failed experiment by bill ibach. he should have been playing third for post 2 but ibach scared off nygaard and bergeron so he had to find another catcher. he might end up behind the plate for north though.
highheat

Postby shs01240 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1334]highheat[/user] wrote:
i would say that was a failed experiment by bill ibach. he should have been playing third for post 2 but ibach scared off nygaard and bergeron so he had to find another catcher. he might end up behind the plate for north though.
</span>

I wouldn't necessarily call it a failed experiment. Sure he was extremely raw, but he handled all the responsibilities better than most would have had they been in the same situation. He's got a HUGE upside at catcher if he works his tail off this offseason. Not to mention he put up unexpected numbers at the plate for Post 2.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 7andpoo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Ming01 wrote:
7andpoo wrote:South will be up there if they can find even a small amount of offense. I agree with dickinson, they will be very good, but disagree with minot. Elgie isn't Elgie with wood bats, and i don't think they do well.

yeah, but minot is minot...
Years before, this may be true, but besides Elgie, minot has very few bats, 1 very good pitcher in bollinger, and a few decent pitchers. I just dont think they have the formula to win state.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby teddybear » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:14 pm

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1334]highheat[/user] wrote:
</span>

I wouldn't necessarily call it a failed experiment. Sure he was extremely raw, but he handled all the responsibilities better than most would have had they been in the same situation. He's got a HUGE upside at catcher if he works his tail off this offseason. Not to mention he put up unexpected numbers at the plate for Post 2.
Shelton did an ok job considering the situatuion he was put into but the catching position alone cost Post 2 a number of games this year.  Not having a catcher that could frame a pitch, block the ball or even catch alot of balls that hit the glove cost the team alot of runs and frustrated the pitching staff.  The pitchers and catchers were never really on the same page which never allowed the pitchers to get into the rythem needed to be effective.  Shelton and the team would have been better off if he played third the entire year but Ibach's inability to make the game fun ran off both Nygaard and Bergeron.  Put either of those two behind the plate and Post 2 ends up with a minimum of 10 more wins and top 3 finish at state. 
teddybear
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:05 pm

teddybear wrote:   
shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1334]highheat[/user] wrote:
</span>

Shelton did an ok job considering the situatuion he was put into but the catching position alone cost Post 2 a number of games this year.  Not having a catcher that could frame a pitch, block the ball or even catch alot of balls that hit the glove cost the team alot of runs and frustrated the pitching staff.  The pitchers and catchers were never really on the same page which never allowed the pitchers to get into the rythem needed to be effective.  Shelton and the team would have been better off if he played third the entire year but Ibach's inability to make the game fun ran off both Nygaard and Bergeron.  Put either of those two behind the plate and Post 2 ends up with a minimum of 10 more wins and top 3 finish at state.
In absolutly no way does one player take a team from bottem 4 at state to top 3 and yet again does no one player give a team 10 more wins!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby highheat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

In absolutly no way does one player take a team from bottem 4 at state to top 3 and yet again does no one player give a team 10 more wins!

fargo lost enough games off of runs being scored from passed balls, poor judgement and lack of ability behind the plate. and if you have a good catcher behing the plate who knows what pitches to call it makes all the difference in the world. it also wouldve helped if ibach wouldve thrown his better pitchers too, especially when it counted, like at state. putting a 16 year old on the mound with a 2-5 record and an era over 7 in a loser out game at state is ridiculous.
Last edited by highheat on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highheat

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:03 am

highheat wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

fargo lost enough games off of runs being scored from passed balls, poor judgement and lack of ability behind the plate. and if you have a good catcher behing the plate who knows what pitches to call it makes all the difference in the world. it also wouldve helped if ibach wouldve thrown his better pitchers too, especially when it counted, like at state. putting a 16 year old on the mound with a 2-5 record and an era over 7 in a loser out game at state is ridiculous.

well in that case the coach should have takin initative and started to call pitches and not rely on a kid, and dont tell me about a coach bringing in a wrong pitcher ours brought in a soph in the state qualifyer at wda when we were up by 2 4 batters later we were down 1 before wentz was brought in
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shs01240 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:31 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=463]Saucesauer[/user] wrote:
highheat wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

well in that case the coach should have takin initative and started to call pitches and not rely on a kid, and dont tell me about a coach bringing in a wrong pitcher ours brought in a soph in the state qualifyer at wda when we were up by 2 4 batters later we were down 1 before wentz was brought in
</span>

These excuses are pathetic and embarassing. Fargo needs to man up and admit they just didn't get it done. Regardless of regular season record, Fargo is expected to be a major competitor come state tourament time. This year they weren't. Players should be embarassed, and do whatever they can to make up for it next year.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 7andpoo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:49 am

These excuses are pathetic and embarassing. Fargo needs to man up and admit they just didn't get it done. Regardless of regular season record, Fargo is expected to be a major competitor come state tourament time. This year they weren't. Players should be embarassed, and do whatever they can to make up for it next year.
For the most part i agree, but there were a couple pitching decisons that could have been better imo.
7andpoo
NDPreps Starter

Postby teddybear » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:29 am

Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

The catching position (not one player/read the comment) could have meant 10 more wins and a top 3 finish at state.  Along with all the passed balls  teams ran at will this year beacuse  Fargo couldn't throw anyone out.  Put Bergeron or Nygaard behind the plate for the season (and state) and it  makes a huge difference.  One POSITION can have that much impact.
teddybear
NDPreps Reserve

Postby teddybear » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:33 am

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=463]Saucesauer[/user] wrote:
highheat wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

</span>

Does that include everyone that hit .240 for the season?
teddybear
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dukebbfan12 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Number7 wrote:Where do you see North's offense coming from besides Shelton and Fiske and what arms besides Larson and Shutz?  Plus Shanley can't ride Jagim all year long and where do you see the rst of their pitching coming from?

shanley has other good talent for pitching...kays and frappier will also play big roles as well as schweigart will
dukebbfan12

Postby shs01240 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:25 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=2113]teddybear[/user] wrote:
shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=463]Saucesauer[/user] wrote:
highheat wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

</span>

</span>

Is that supposed to be an insult? Come on now, .240 is obviously not getting it done for your team. Any player who is satisfied with that shouldn't be playing the game.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby teddybear » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:41 pm

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=2113]teddybear[/user] wrote:
highheat wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
teddybear wrote:   
</span>

</span>

</span>

Is that supposed to be an insult? Come on now, .240 is obviously not getting it done for your team. Any player who is satisfied with that shouldn't be playing the game.

The coach is the one that shoudn't be satisfied w/a .240 hitter.  On a team like Fargo that as you say "needs to man up" and "is expected to be a major contributer at state" a .240 hitter shouldn't see the field.  That's not an excuse just poor and as you say "embarassing" performance as well as stupid coaching. 
teddybear
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:17 pm

You can only blame people(coaches) for so long and than you have to man up and take responsibilty for what your team cant do and make them do it
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby teddybear » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:04 pm

Saucesauer wrote:You can only blame people(coaches) for so long and than you have to man up and take responsibilty for what your team cant do and make them do it

Huh?
Last edited by teddybear on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teddybear
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Class A