Casey Quinlan

Casey Quinlan

Postby cheddar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Will casey quinlan be better than dave ernst was?
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Casey Quinlan

Postby ndakotasports94 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:50 pm

No.
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

Postby cheddar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:12 pm

care to explain your reason behind your answer?
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 pm

well I will say no too...The difference that I've notice so far is that David Ernst was a more complete player (hitting & pitching). Right now Quinlan is only got the pitching going for him. It will be interesting to see how Quinlan progresses here this year to see his pitching compared to Ernst.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndakotasports94 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Ernst had command of 4 pitches. Quinlan has true command of 1, and even that suffers at times. He has to develop consistency. Also I agree with Run4Fun2009; Quinlan is one dimensional, Ernst was 4 dimensional.
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

Postby cheddar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:23 pm

i definitely see where you come from with the hitting as ernst was the best in the state arguably. The stats for pitching you can argue. Quinlan had more strike outs than ernst did and also might of had a better era as quinlan's only runs were 2 against shanley all year. Dave has better command but that comes with experience. Quinlan had dominant success as a sophomore. Im not trying to take anything away from David Ernst because obviously he was very good and dominant im just making a point on how dominant Quinlan can potentially be.
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndakotasports94 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Potentially is the key. He hasn't done it yet. If he does, then this arguement could be revisted. maybe.
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

Postby cheddar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:00 pm

The thing is that this discussion topic states "will" not is right now. Yes he has the potential and that goes along with the word will. I think Casey Quinlan will be better than dave and i also believe he will get drafted alot higher than dave did. i project round 20-30. The fact that he is a lefty is huge and threw 88 as a sophomore. Dave hit 92 as a senior. Casey has this year and next year to only gain 4 mph, And quinlan's curveball is very good with nice bite and is developing a nice slider and is getting better with his changeup that is moving a lot more than it did so he is developing more than one pitch very nicely. Wait until this spring and summer when he is striking out 10+ every single game. Dave was good against wood bats but didnt have the same results against metal bats, quinlan as a sophomore was very effective this summer for post #2 againt metal bats.
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndakotasports94 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

I personally believe that he will stay at about the same level he's at now. As well as only being a pitcher and nothing else. He won't be drafted higher than Ernst I don't think and certainly not 20-30th round. He's good, that's for sure, but not that good.
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

Postby cheddar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:38 pm

A team that post 2 played this year had a lefty who topped at 91 as a senior and was drafted in the 22nd round. The thing is that they are both lefties which is a huge advantage for them.
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:42 pm

cheddar wrote:A team that post 2 played this year had a lefty who topped at 91 as a senior and was drafted in the 22nd round. The thing is that they are both lefties which is a huge advantage for them.

Quinlan has a lot of time to develop, if he can stay healthy, keep getting bigger stronger and works on his command, i can see him getting drafted, where? i can't tell you at this point in time. Only time will tell. And a lefty pitcher who has good stuff is always going to get a look.
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Postby cheddar » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Okay i should of stated in my first post that all i wanna know about quinlan vs ernst was their pitching, cause obviously dave is one of the best hitters in the state in awhile. And if you compared them this year, most would say ernst is better, but all i want to know is if you took ernst as a senior and Quinlan when he is a senior, who do you think will be better and do you think Quinlan has the potential if he develops his pitches more to get drafted higher than ernst?
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packerbacker2013 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:12 am

Casey will be hurlin in the uppa 90's, the kids legit.....top 5 round pick straight outta high school
packerbacker2013
NDPreps Reserve

Postby anyballgame45 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:02 pm

A lot can happen to Casey between now and when he will be draft eligable. One would be he can continue to increase his velocity and improve on his command and control. All of which he needs to do in order to have a shot at being drafted. What he doesnt need to happen would be to level off and not continue to improve. The other factor and perhaps the more importantly he needs to stay healthy.

One advantage he has on Ernst is being left handed and if he can match or have more velocity than Dave he will likely be drafted higher, perhaps much higher.

One disadvantage Casey has is he has not played outside ND. He needs to play against the best competion possible like Ernst, Elgie, Frenzel, Bollinger, Laylock and Steen have. (sorry if I missed anyone)
anyballgame45
NDPreps Starter

Postby Battle Hardened » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Quinlan is playing outside of ND.

He was in Arizona in November with the Dakota Hustlers in a 16u AAA tourney...he got shelled and was pulled after 2 innings, he had 5 or 6 walks and 3 hits giving up 6 runs.

He hit very well in the tournament and can hit for power.

Some of the other ND pitchers looked very solid, shutting down some good competion as the team was undeafeted in pool play - the team had a good showing overall.
Battle Hardened
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cheddar » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:41 pm

I would not exactly say he got shelled. He simply just had no command that day and he was battling a partially town hip flexor which affected his pitching. If he would of been on he easily would have struck most of the kids out. He went 5-7 with 3 triples a double and a single though which surprised some people. He is also going to go to a Perfect game showcase this year to get his name out there and play against more kids from other areas. I have heard he is gonna go with lincoln voss so we will see how those two do against people in that showcase later on in 2012. Casey has great stuff and we'lll see if he can increase his velo and his command.
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rrbb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Battle Hardened wrote:Quinlan is playing outside of ND.

He was in Arizona in November with the Dakota Hustlers in a 16u AAA tourney...he got shelled and was pulled after 2 innings, he had 5 or 6 walks and 3 hits giving up 6 runs.

Some of the other ND pitchers looked very solid, shutting down some good competion as the team was undeafeted in pool play - the team had a good showing overall.

What other ND pitchers looked very solid!
rrbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. Sparta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:41 pm

rrbb wrote:
Battle Hardened wrote:Quinlan is playing outside of ND.

What other ND pitchers looked very solid!

all of them.
Mr. Sparta
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packerbacker2013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm

what is your guy's take on his below average bench numbers??
packerbacker2013
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. Sparta » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:13 pm

packerbacker2013 wrote:what is your guy's take on his below average bench numbers??

I've heard its somewhere around the 100s mark, not too good for someone projected to be top pitcher in the country.
Mr. Sparta
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packerbacker2013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Mr. Sparta wrote:
packerbacker2013 wrote:what is your guy's take on his below average bench numbers??

I've heard its somewhere around the 100s mark, not too good for someone projected to be top pitcher in the country.

Yeah according to a variety of spread sheets from reliable sources, quinlan's max bench has seen a sizeable decline of almost 150 pounds since he has began his lifting at fargo davies compared to when he lifted at fargo south.....i dont know if its the water or whats going on at fargo davies, but south just seems to put more emphasis on getting better in the weight room.
packerbacker2013
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. Sparta » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm

packerbacker2013 wrote:
Mr. Sparta wrote:

Yeah according to a variety of spread sheets from reliable sources, quinlan's max bench has seen a sizeable decline of almost 150 pounds since he has began his lifting at fargo davies compared to when he lifted at fargo south.....i dont know if its the water or whats going on at fargo davies, but south just seems to put more emphasis on getting better in the weight room.

Totally agree, however it is recently heard that a sizeable amount of the kids in souths lifting program are on creatine. Is this acceptable?
Mr. Sparta
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packerbacker2013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Mr. Sparta wrote:
packerbacker2013 wrote:
Mr. Sparta wrote:

Totally agree, however it is recently heard that a sizeable amount of the kids in souths lifting program are on creatine. Is this acceptable?

Can you say steroids??? although its preposterous, could that be why quinlan has seen decline in his bench press numbers??
packerbacker2013
NDPreps Reserve

Postby anyballgame45 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 pm

The bench press is the worst thing a pitcher can do.
anyballgame45
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 am

anyballgame45 wrote:The bench press is the worst thing a pitcher can do.

Besies Military press....but i understand what you mean.
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Class A