Who's the best quarterbacks in AAA

The teams in Class AAA

Who's the best quarterbacks in AAA

Postby domination » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Who are the top QBs in AAA? I haven't followed high school football very long but I think Devin Coyle (Mandan), Austyn Raftevold (Fargo South) and Ben Joliffe (Bismarck High) seem to be the top QBs. Who am I missing?
domination
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Who's the best quarterbacks in AAA

Postby go maji » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:59 pm

How bout Alex Yanosko from Minot High. He is probably the most athletic QB in the state.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:33 am

go maji wrote:How bout Alex Yanosko from Minot High. He is probably the most athletic QB in the state.

With Yanosko being a Soph and only one start under his belt, IMO we should wait to make any remarks about him. He may be athletic but the best... Let's wait and see :wink:
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Did we have any doubts about Zac Elgie as a sophmore?
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:53 pm

go maji wrote:Did we have any doubts about Zac Elgie as a sophmore?

Yes I did, I'll watch him tonight against GFC and have something for Tues. Sound Fair Maji
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:58 pm

go maji wrote:How bout Alex Yanosko from Minot High. He is probably the most athletic QB in the state.

I don't think I'd say he's one of the best in the state. Decent player, but probably not that good. I'll know more after watching him tonight.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotBison » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Indy5 wrote:

I don't think I'd say he's one of the best in the state. Decent player, but probably not that good. I'll know more after watching him tonight.

Yanosko had I think 5 rushing touchdowns tonight. Granted, it was against Grand Forks Central, but he seems to be a very smart QB.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 pm

I went to the game tonite. Very cold, but very exiting. When Yanosko didn't have anyone open (which was very few times), he took off and ran it. He is very quick and agile. He is also very accurate throwing the ball.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I watched him play, and he is pretty good. He's not much of a true quarterback. Rarely does he just sit in the pocket and find somebody, but he certainly is a freak athlete and makes plays with his feet.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby nodak1985 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Indy5 wrote:I watched him play, and he is pretty good. He's not much of a true quarterback. Rarely does he just sit in the pocket and find somebody, but he certainly is a freak athlete and makes plays with his feet.

What's the definition of a "true quarterback" though? Minot was doing a lot of no-huddle and running the spread, and I thought Yanosko fit the scheme perfectly. He's got great wheels, good mechanics throwing the ball (leading to pretty good zip on passes over the middle) and appeared to have a good command of the offense (especially for a soph.). I think that he's an excellent fit for what the Magi want to do.

That being said...they haven't played anyone yet. I don't watch a lot of AAA football (going to try to watch a few more Magi games this year) so I'll hold off on saying he's one of the best QB's in the division. I'll be really curious to see how he does with Century and Mandan. Hopefully the MHS coaching staff can put together a good scheme for those games (I'm not overly confident that they will). Minot has a lot of potential...and with a talented soph. QB and RB in the lineup...the future looks bright!
nodak1985
NDPreps Rookie

Postby domination » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 pm

How about Jared Fischer for Century. Does he belong in the conversation? 17-23 194 yards and a TD against West Fargo last Friday.
domination
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 pm

go maji wrote:I went to the game tonite. Very cold, but very exiting. When Yanosko didn't have anyone open (which was very few times), he took off and ran it. He is very quick and agile. He is also very accurate throwing the ball.

lol...it is early september and you think it's cold?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:48 pm

go maji wrote:He is also very accurate throwing the ball.

Not trying to sound like I'm bashing the kid, but this is misleading since he only attempted 6 throws and a few of them were bubbles.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 pm

I know it sounds wierd but it was in the fifties, with wind, and I forgot my sweatshirt.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 pm

He may have only attempted 6 throws, but they were right on the button and he still got a lot of yards.

At North he went 9-12 or something like that.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:16 pm

go maji, I would have to agree with nodak1985. The QB is good with the scheme of Minot. He impressed me but, I want to see him against a good team and see what he does. He had alot of time in the backfield this past Fri night. When he had pressure, he ran and he ran good. His passing was right on the money but I want to see what happened when the pocket closes down on him. He has a very good head for a Soph and seem to take control of his team with confidence. But I'm not sold just yet on him. I'll give him a few more games to see if he holds up under the pressure of a defensive team. But like I said he's is a good QB but I see him being one of the best next year.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby nodak1985 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:go maji, I would have to agree with nodak1985. The QB is good with the scheme of Minot. He impressed me but, I want to see him against a good team and see what he does. He had alot of time in the backfield this past Fri night. When he had pressure, he ran and he ran good. His passing was right on the money but I want to see what happened when the pocket closes down on him. He has a very good head for a Soph and seem to take control of his team with confidence. But I'm not sold just yet on him. I'll give him a few more games to see if he holds up under the pressure of a defensive team. But like I said he's is a good QB but I see him being one of the best next year.

I'm looking forward to the Century game in a couple of weeks. I'd really like to see what Yanosko can do when he's tested. Like I said earlier, he seems to have good mechanics, and throws a pretty ball, but how will he hold up when he is pressured. GFC didn't put any heat on him at all, and it was like he was just sitting back and throwing darts. I think that in the next few years he Alex will definitely headline this conversation, but as of now he's relatively untested.

As far as a "known commodity" at QB...the kid from Mandan has to be right up there. I haven't seen him play, but the numbers he puts up are hard to ignore.
nodak1985
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 am

nodak1985 wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:go maji, I would have to agree with nodak1985. The QB is good with the scheme of Minot. He impressed me but, I want to see him against a good team and see what he does. He had alot of time in the backfield this past Fri night. When he had pressure, he ran and he ran good. His passing was right on the money but I want to see what happened when the pocket closes down on him. He has a very good head for a Soph and seem to take control of his team with confidence. But I'm not sold just yet on him. I'll give him a few more games to see if he holds up under the pressure of a defensive team. But like I said he's is a good QB but I see him being one of the best next year.

I'm looking forward to the Century game in a couple of weeks. I'd really like to see what Yanosko can do when he's tested. Like I said earlier, he seems to have good mechanics, and throws a pretty ball, but how will he hold up when he is pressured. GFC didn't put any heat on him at all, and it was like he was just sitting back and throwing darts. I think that in the next few years he Alex will definitely headline this conversation, but as of now he's relatively untested.

As far as a "known commodity" at QB...the kid from Mandan has to be right up there. I haven't seen him play, but the numbers he puts up are hard to ignore.

Couldn't agree with you more nodak1985...
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 pm

I hate how people compare teams off of last season. Look at Century, yea they were a great team last year, but the two teams they beat this year havn't won a game yet. You could put them in the same category with Minot up till this point.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Also, Minot beat Mandan last year and Minot has just gotten better.
And, Minot's best reciever (Leon Marke) was suspended for the first 3 games for some reason. He will return in week 4 against....... Mandan.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:01 pm

From what I know ,Coyle would be my pick.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:18 pm

go maji wrote:Also, Minot beat Mandan last year and Minot has just gotten better.
And, Minot's best reciever (Leon Marke) was suspended for the first 3 games for some reason. He will return in week 4 against....... Mandan.

Well then we'll see what Minot is made of that game won't we.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders01 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

go maji wrote:Also, Minot beat Mandan last year and Minot has just gotten better.

And you don't think Mandan hasn't gotten better either? They return basically every skill position. Minot won 41-40 last year at Minot which is notorious for bad reffing. This year they play in Mandan too
riders01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Gentlemen, let maji go. Its no secret maji is just looking at Minot and Minot only. This thread is about the best QB in AAA. So who is it?
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:41 pm

riders, first of all, ruturning players is not getting better . Minot actually replaced their poorer players with better players. Second, if anything the calls were going Mandan's way. Not many people know this but Minot had a 15-0 lead until they gave it up. This year, Minot has a QB that can move the ball down the field in more than one way. So, if Minot can get up like last year, I have a hard time believing that they would giv it up.
That is all i'm trying to say.
Should be a great game though.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to AAA