Bismarck '10?

The teams in Class AAA

Bismarck '10?

Postby DSCP1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 am

All I know from Bismarck High is that they have a bunch of skill players graduating. Who is going to replace that type of talent? R they going to be even good?
DSCP1
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Bismarck '10?

Postby goteam11 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:00 pm

DSCP1 wrote:All I know from Bismarck High is that they have a bunch of skill players graduating. Who is going to replace that type of talent? R they going to be even good?

Bismarck high graduates every starting skill position from last year, along with 3 backup recievers, so yes haha they lose ALOT! as to who can replace that.. channing mann should tear up AAA football next year. i believe he was like fourth in the west in rushing this year even tho he backed up miller. their line returns four starters so look for channing to put up huge numbers. With a new quarterback, look for bhs to throw the ball a minimal amount of times.
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Riders00 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 pm

When's the last time Bismarck wasn't good?

I don't know what they have coming back, but I'd say there's about a 99% chance they are top 3 in the West next year and are the team to beat.
Riders00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DSCP1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Who will they have at quaterback? And who will he throw the ball to?
DSCP1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby squeak63 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 am

Its either going to be Tyson Gibson (coach gibsons son) or Ben jolliffe (soph.) at quarterback... i will be interested in what gibson will do... i personally think he will go with Ben because of the fact that he can use tyson on defense and then he can start a quarterback out young and the last time he did that it worked out pretty well for him... who he will throw to... leighton talmage, maybe some young guys but to be honest i don't know if bhs will throw the ball more than 5 times a game next year
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby schmiddy101 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I bet they keep the same offense and still throw the ball atleast 15 times a game and still get channing his touches even if it as a receiver or at tailback he will get his touches and the quarterback will get his chance to throw the ball
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby schmiddy101 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Oh and I bet Tyson starts
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:13 pm

schmidy... you don't remember BHS Mark Gibson football before Esley Thorton do you? Think of what BHS's strengths on offense are going to be next year. You have a kid who was arguably the second best running back in the conference last year, and you are returning 3 offensive linemen and your tight end, and you have no quarterback or recievers who have proven anything in varsity football... also the reason BHS was able to run the offense that they did last year was because esley started at quarterback since his sophmore year. Look at BHS progression on offense since 2007 when esley started his first game at quarterback.
2007- Pretty much the same offense BHS ran since Gibson took over, run the ball probably 80-90% of plays
2008- More of a spread attack, more quarterback running play's, more formations you often don't see in high school but still a base I form offense but not used nearly as often as previous years,more passing plays but still run heavy, I would say probably 65-75% of the team they ran
2009- Spread offense, a lot of upper level formations with many different plays out of each formation, still an base I formation but used sparingly compared to previous years, a good balance between passing plays and running plays, I would say if they would have ever played a team that could compete with them the pass to run ratio would probably have been about 50/50
BHS was able to run the type of offense they did last year because of the fact that they had the same guy under center for 3 strait years and he didn't ever need to learn the offense like a brand new quarterback will need to do, he could always just keep learning more new plays and formations, This progression of esley is also why I believe Ben Joliffe will be starting next year at quaterback, he can start on the bottom much like Esley did but by the time he is a senior we will start seeing the same kind of things we saw from BHS in 09, I also believe that Tyson will be a very pivitol asset on defense at the linebacker position and for some reason i just don't think coach gibson would want his starting quarterback to be playing linebacker
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby DSCP1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Okay squeak, i have the bhs roster in front of me and it says Joliffe is 6'1 140 pounds. Also i doubt elsey being his size that he is now was that small when he started as a sophmore. Ive never seen Gibson or Joliffe play so I wouldnt know who's better but it just seems Gibson is for his size (6'1 190 pounds) is more "quarterback ready"
DSCP1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DSCP1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm

*180 pounds
DSCP1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby schmiddy101 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 am

yes this is true they have all the beef up front returning...but you dont think tyson has been watching esley everyday in practice learning about what he sees on the field....that beef that they have returing is pretty much use to pass blocking and run blocking so that will give tyson time to throw the ball when they need to get the ball in the air...and yes i agree with DSCP1 tyson is more ready to play that position because i dont think coach gibson would want a 140 pound kid playing quarterback because if he took one hit from a guy over 200 pounds i bet he would be hurting....and you dont think tyson has been running some of the same stuff that the varsity runs while he was doing jv and sophmore and he probably even watched film with his dad at times to just sit and watch esley and how he handles himself with pressure in his face. and yes the offense has grown to more of a spread look because of all the athletes that he had on the outside but you never know about what type of athletes that are coming up that can fit the spread offense and they can get channing out on the perimeter and just throw it out to him and have him make one move and gone and what is wrong with that offense??? all im saying is that the offense will stay the same and the quarterback next year will be tyson gibson and not ben joliffe
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 pm

schmiddy101 wrote:yes this is true they have all the beef up front returning...but you dont think tyson has been watching esley everyday in practice learning about what he sees on the field....that beef that they have returing is pretty much use to pass blocking and run blocking so that will give tyson time to throw the ball when they need to get the ball in the air...and yes i agree with DSCP1 tyson is more ready to play that position because i dont think coach gibson would want a 140 pound kid playing quarterback because if he took one hit from a guy over 200 pounds i bet he would be hurting....and you dont think tyson has been running some of the same stuff that the varsity runs while he was doing jv and sophmore and he probably even watched film with his dad at times to just sit and watch esley and how he handles himself with pressure in his face. and yes the offense has grown to more of a spread look because of all the athletes that he had on the outside but you never know about what type of athletes that are coming up that can fit the spread offense and they can get channing out on the perimeter and just throw it out to him and have him make one move and gone and what is wrong with that offense??? all im saying is that the offense will stay the same and the quarterback next year will be tyson gibson and not ben joliffe

Schmiddy, use your head and stop posting dumb stuff. the offense will not stay the same. BHS will have no spread offense in the system except for the no huddle for "end-of-game" situations.

Look at their receivers and quarter backs:

Tyson Gibson: some varsity experience last year because BHS blew everyone out. Maybe 3 completed varsity passes? Not very agile. (Overall, not a very good fit for a spread offense quarterback.)

Ben Jolliffe: maybe a handful of varsity snaps, all being taking a knee at the end of a game. Hardly played at all in JV because he was backing up Tyson. 6'0'' 150 lbs. not very good arm strength. Can move around well, but has NO varsity experience.

Receivers: oh god, dont really know where to start on this one. How many guys does BHS have coming back that has a varsity reception? 1? channing is the most proven receiver at BHS and doesnt even play the position. They have enough receivers to run I-Formation and if they have to, possibly throw to pick up a third and long or occasional screen or play-action.

Now after you read that, explain how a quarterback with no experience, not very mobile to move around when the receivers aren't open, and a group of unproven receivers with no really oustanding athletes with no experience whatsoever will run a spread offense?
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby schmiddy101 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm

The offense is going to stay the same....they have kids that will develop in the spread offense...Tyson is mobile enough to make a play when he has to....Receivers they have will be Jordan kleinjan, Dakota green, leighton Talmadge, and Parker fisher. Dillon Lange (who is an athletic kid) will also help Channing in the backfield... Tyson will be protected by the beef up front (Dan Daffinrud Mack Keller Nick Nelson and Deon Paulson and Jake Bushaw and Eric McDaniel) and fullback Tyler Vogel or Kip Jangula(so they could use vogel more on defense) so he will be able to sit back there and wait for those receivers to get open... All I'm saying is the offense will stay the same and the people I have mentioned will help BHS get to where they need to be to be contending late in the year for a deep run.
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 pm

schmiddy101 wrote:The offense is going to stay the same....they have kids that will develop in the spread offense...Tyson is mobile enough to make a play when he has to....Receivers they have will be Jordan kleinjan, Dakota green, leighton Talmadge, and Parker fisher. Dillon Lange (who is an athletic kid) will also help Channing in the backfield... Tyson will be protected by the beef up front (Dan Daffinrud Mack Keller Nick Nelson and Deon Paulson and Jake Bushaw and Eric McDaniel) and fullback Tyler Vogel or Kip Jangula(so they could use vogel more on defense) so he will be able to sit back there and wait for those receivers to get open... All I'm saying is the offense will stay the same and the people I have mentioned will help BHS get to where they need to be to be contending late in the year for a deep run.

leighton Talmadge: will start on defense again. not in good enough shape to play both ways. also he isnt very fast. but since he is tall and has ok hands, ill give you that one.

Jordan Kleinjan: Slow, shaky hands, about 5'11'. Come on really?

Dakota Green: 5'9'', pretty quick. but isnt really a receiver. not very good hands. dont really know how he runs routes. IDK we will see on this one.

Parker Fischer: Really schmiddy? what do you see in him?

What do you think of this?.. in 2007, When Esley was starting his first varsity season ( just like tyson will be) he had a fairly good and big line, and also a solid receiver core with Corey Ploof, John Baumgartner, Jake Ruby, and tyler johnson, and Nick Jolliffe and Calvin Krueger could be thrown in there as sophmores as well.( way deeper and more solid than next year) yet they only ran a spread offense around 10-15% of the time.

Whats your opinion on that comparison? would you like to change your mind yet?
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 pm

schmiddy101 wrote:The offense is going to stay the same....they have kids that will develop in the spread offense...Tyson is mobile enough to make a play when he has to....Receivers they have will be Jordan kleinjan, Dakota green, leighton Talmadge, and Parker fisher. Dillon Lange (who is an athletic kid) will also help Channing in the backfield... Tyson will be protected by the beef up front (Dan Daffinrud Mack Keller Nick Nelson and Deon Paulson and Jake Bushaw and Eric McDaniel) and fullback Tyler Vogel or Kip Jangula(so they could use vogel more on defense) so he will be able to sit back there and wait for those receivers to get open... All I'm saying is the offense will stay the same and the people I have mentioned will help BHS get to where they need to be to be contending late in the year for a deep run.

schmiddy you shot yourself in the foot with this statement... every reciever you stated is completly unproven... no clue about this green kid but kleinjan isn't a spread offense reciever lets just face it, i love the kid but he is just plain old not a spread reciever, leighton is the type of receiever that would fit perfectly in bhs's old offense... think of guys like wilhelm and baumgartener... about the same size and athletic ability as leighton and were perfect fade rout receivers when teams were sitting on the run... i believe thats what bhs is going to do... the beef upfront is something bhs needs to use to their advantage in the running game... dan and nick have the body of run blockers not pass blockers... also BHS's 2 biggest offensive threats are going to be lang and mann...i don't think their is any argument there... in order to win next year if your bhs you are going to need the ball in channings hands 30+ times a game... when you have a player like that and no other proven players you need to feed your one proven player the ball and thats what bhs is going to do
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvsports » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am

squeak63 wrote:

schmiddy you shot yourself in the foot with this statement... every reciever you stated is completly unproven... no clue about this green kid but kleinjan isn't a spread offense reciever lets just face it, i love the kid but he is just plain old not a spread reciever, leighton is the type of receiever that would fit perfectly in bhs's old offense... think of guys like wilhelm and baumgartener... about the same size and athletic ability as leighton and were perfect fade rout receivers when teams were sitting on the run... i believe thats what bhs is going to do... the beef upfront is something bhs needs to use to their advantage in the running game... dan and nick have the body of run blockers not pass blockers... also BHS's 2 biggest offensive threats are going to be lang and mann...i don't think their is any argument there... in order to win next year if your bhs you are going to need the ball in channings hands 30+ times a game... when you have a player like that and no other proven players you need to feed your one proven player the ball and thats what bhs is going to do

I agree with you Squeak 100% on this - however, not sure about Jolliffe starting over Tyson.
luvsports
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 am

luvsports wrote:
squeak63 wrote:

I agree with you Squeak 100% on this - however, not sure about Jolliffe starting over Tyson.

The only motive i have to starting jolliffe is that fact that if he is going to be the starting quarterback someday and if he starts this year it would give him much better progression through his years at bhs... cause lets just face it starting JV games for a year will make you better but not as much as starting varsity games for a year
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby schmiddy101 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 pm

I believe I am not going to change my point of view
first leighton is definately in shape enough to play both ways... He is also has more than average speed because he is a long strider.... Kleinjan is definately not slow he has average speed and is fast enough to play receiver oh and he has caught every ball that has been thrown to him in varsity action.... What other position do you think Dakota could play because at tailback we have Channing and Lange so the only place left is receiver he has solid hands I could see them throwing quick passes out to him and having him make 1 guy miss... Parker fisher this kid has speed average hands and isn't afraid to go over the middle and make a play and that comparison does nothing because as you can remember Kruger was used more on defense his sophmore year baumy had drop issues as in the state championship he dropped a ball early and never got another chance ploof was solid Johnson was used more on defense and hruby was used in like reverse pass situations like against minot in the semi-finals so I can agree with some of what you say
squeak how did I shoot myself in the foot I was just stating opinion about what I think...so please quit critisizing my opinion....and Channing won't need the ball that many times for bhs to be effective on offense and if they do get it to him that many times it can be in many ways like you do in the spread offense it will be the use of quick passses out to him or they will spread other teams out to run draws with Channing or Lange or run sweeps with them to get them in space so please quit criticizing my opinion and let me think about what I think bhs will do next year on offense because isnt this site for peoples opinions on different things and this is my opinion
Last edited by schmiddy101 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby schmiddy101 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 pm

And yes I agree with your post about how it will help him develop over his years but it is now tysons time because he has had to wait and if joliffe gets hit wrong he could be done because he will be only around 150 to possibly 160 pounds but you have your opinion and I have mine so I'm not going to make fun of your opinion
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Ben loves lifting. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him pick up 20-30 pounds over the next 6 months or so. Even from last summer to right now he made himself a lot bigger.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby schmiddy101 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Well Tyson has to but I could see him gettin bigger because he is at that stage where kids are maturing
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 pm

schmiddy... if you read into it on this site opinions get brought up and they get picked apart... that is was this site is basically all about... people state their opinions and if someone doesn't agree with that opinion they state why they believe that opinion is false... don't be so sensitive all i am doing is backing my argument every time you make a counterargument... thats what makes this site interesting for the average joe they read a little bit on what 2 people who have insight on the situation think and then they make their own opinion... if someone thinks i make a better argument they will think bhs is going to have a running attack next year... if someone thinks you have the better argument they will think bhs is going to still run spread next year... thats the way this site works
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby fooballguy1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 pm

I really am at a lost of words for this one. It could go either way at the Quarterback position this upcoming year. Tyson gibson has worked hard for the demons and i do believe he deserves his shot at varsity Qb, but tyson is a very accomplished linebacker. when vogel didnt play at the end of the season gibson stepped up and filled the position as good as tyler vogel. gibson knows how to read the holes that are forming better than any linebacker i think bismarck has. so he could very easily play linebacker next year. and i agree with squeky " i dont think Gibson wants to start his Qb as a linebacker.'' but on the other hand you have been jolliffe who will be a young sophmore. he could very easily fill the position that esley did as a sophmore. jolliffe has decent speed is very agile and a all alround good athlete. i can see jolliffe coming back at a solid 165 weight. with a tremendous gain on his quarterback ability. but i really cant say for sure who i think will be starting next year.
fooballguy1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby DSCP1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Well who else is there for inside backers besides Gibson and the Vogel kid?
DSCP1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby schmiddy101 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am

Reed Hendrickson and Kip Jangula and possibly Tyler Unger if he doesnt play outside.....and squeak this is what this sight in about and people can believe what they want to believe i just wanted to make things interesting
schmiddy101
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to AAA