Smith or Miller?

Smith
55%
Miller
45%

Total votes : 53

Smith vs. Miller

Postby ScoopandScore » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 am

Both are great backs in ND football. But im sick and tired of this debate appearing in every thread so for those who want to discuss this lets keep it here.
ScoopandScore
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Smith vs. Miller

Postby unocero14 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:38 am

both are good
Miller is an all around athlete, he returns kicks, is a d-back, runs the ball and sometimes the put him in the slot...
Smith just has talented speed and Wahp. runs the scrum were smith gets up to 30 to 40 touches a game and he also returns kicks

maybe if Wahp would play Bismarck we'd find out who truly is better
IMO i think you'd have to do Oklahoma drill Wahp verse Bismarck (because most of their yards start with the good O-line both teams have)

Miller has the better coach so I'd take him
unocero14
NDPreps Starter

Postby King James » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:51 am

Millers stats thus far. 103 yards and 4 TD's in 3 quarters of football
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby unocero14 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:02 am

King James wrote:Millers stats thus far. 103 yards and 4 TD's in 3 quarters of football

Thats a sign of him to do better the next game, he's better than that
unocero14
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Do none of you think that Miller is helped by having a quarterback of Esley's caliber on his team? I know Wahpeton's quarterback is not as good. Every team playing BHS has to worry about the air attack and the ground game, where as teams playing against Wahpeton can base almost their entire game plan just on stopping him.

Just my 2 cents.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonation1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm

balla45 wrote:Do none of you think that Miller is helped by having a quarterback of Esley's caliber on his team? I know Wahpeton's quarterback is not as good. Every team playing BHS has to worry about the air attack and the ground game, where as teams playing against Wahpeton can base almost their entire game plan just on stopping him.

Just my 2 cents.

first of all thorton is a very good QB but that means nothing-Miller still has to catch,run and everything else and i dont think that it matters if you have a good QB or not-if you have real talent that shouldn't matter. Miller has the skill and the potential to keep getting better...i dont know if Smith will keep gettting better-dont get me wrong he is an amazing running back and athlete! But i would go with miller for many reasons.
peace! :)
demonation1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 pm

I don't know enough about football to say which one is better. I don't understand how one can say Miller is obviously better when Smith has consistently put up better numbers and shown that he is more than capable at the high school level, also the fastest kid in the state, and he got the offer from NDSU. I don't see how anyone can see Smith is definately not the best, and by saying Miller is obviously the best, that is what people are saying.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonation1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:08 pm

balla45 wrote:I don't know enough about football to say which one is better. I don't understand how one can say Miller is obviously better when Smith has consistently put up better numbers and shown that he is more than capable at the high school level, also the fastest kid in the state, and he got the offer from NDSU. I don't see how anyone can see Smith is definately not the best, and by saying Miller is obviously the best, that is what people are saying.

Fair enough-however to say that Smith has put up better numbers just isn't a fair sentence. Smith played all 4 quarters at his games while miller rarely played in the second half. and i agree with you unocero 14 smith gets 30 to 40 touches a game while Miller doesn't. i dont know what NDSU is looking for in a player but the way NDSU football has looked in the last 1-2 years i dont understand why thats considered 'the bar'. To evaluate whether a kid is the better. in my opinion Miller is following in Dresslers footsteps and when Dressler was recruited NDSU took Roehl over Dressler-and look at the difference in those two players. Both Miller and Smith are very good athletes and very fun to watch and both deserves a good season.! (((:
demonation1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby unocero14 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:14 pm

balla45 wrote:Do none of you think that Miller is helped by having a quarterback of Esley's caliber on his team? I know Wahpeton's quarterback is not as good. Every team playing BHS has to worry about the air attack and the ground game, where as teams playing against Wahpeton can base almost their entire game plan just on stopping him.

Just my 2 cents.

Good point...you do need more than one threat or everyone would just gang up on Miller
unocero14
NDPreps Starter

Postby goteam11 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am

unocero14 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Good point...you do need more than one threat or everyone would just gang up on Miller

true.. but in wahpeton's style of offense, Smith at least 8 or 9 blockers on every play.. compare to millers 6
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby football101 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:34 am

balla45 wrote:I don't know enough about football to say which one is better. I don't understand how one can say Miller is obviously better when Smith has consistently put up better numbers and shown that he is more than capable at the high school level, also the fastest kid in the state, and he got the offer from NDSU. I don't see how anyone can see Smith is definately not the best, and by saying Miller is obviously the best, that is what people are saying.

D1 coaches look for speed. When I was in high schools I was very fast. When I got to college, I was just another player. 30 people were just as fast. The speed of high school football in not even close to college.
football101
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:11 pm

demonation1 wrote:

Fair enough-however to say that Smith has put up better numbers just isn't a fair sentence. Smith played all 4 quarters at his games while miller rarely played in the second half. and i agree with you unocero 14 smith gets 30 to 40 touches a game while Miller doesn't. i dont know what NDSU is looking for in a player but the way NDSU football has looked in the last 1-2 years i dont understand why thats considered 'the bar'. To evaluate whether a kid is the better. in my opinion Miller is following in Dresslers footsteps and when Dressler was recruited NDSU took Roehl over Dressler-and look at the difference in those two players. Both Miller and Smith are very good athletes and very fun to watch and both deserves a good season.! (((:

I really don't understand what you are trying to say with your NDSU,dressler and roehl comment... if you are trying to say that ndsu should have taken dress over rohl you are not thinking very rationally because comparing rohl and dresslers careers it would be very hard to choose between the 2... if you are saying its just a matter of who they decide to take a chance on then you have a good point because it was basically those to players that year and ndsu took a chance on rohl and didn't even recruite dressler... for us or anyone for that matter its almost impossible to compare jake and smith.... i was the biggest one of saying jake is better then smith and now i am starting to realize that there is no way to compare them... jake has a qb and has more opportunities for yards through recieving and KO and punt returns... and also spends the hole game on the field playing both ways. Smith gets the ball 30-40 times a game and runs behind a offense that anyone could get 2-3 yards a carry... its impossible to compare the 2
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby flatlander » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Smith vs Miller: Both are great. Yeah, NDSU offered Smith (and so did UND and USD) but Miller looks like a stud too. While Smith gets a lot of touches, his output is impressive because every defense scheme he faces is designed around stopping him. That said, Miller is a great back whose speed is underrated and he doesn't get that much PT because Bismarck slaughters people.

BTW, I am almost positive NDSU offered Dressler but didn't get him.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:53 pm

flatlander wrote:Smith vs Miller: Both are great. Yeah, NDSU offered Smith (and so did UND and USD) but Miller looks like a stud too. While Smith gets a lot of touches, his output is impressive because every defense scheme he faces is designed around stopping him. That said, Miller is a great back whose speed is underrated and he doesn't get that much PT because Bismarck slaughters people.

i have heard that NDSU didn't even give Dressler an offer... but i am sure weston and his family are really the only ones to know that and i don't think they are really worried about north dakota preps
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby King James » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Miller's stats for week 2. 7 carries for 92 yards, 2 TD's and a 70 yard punt return for TD in one half. His total stats thus far 21 carries for 195 yards (9.3 yards per carry). 7 total TD's in 5 quarters of football.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby goteam11 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 am

squeak63 wrote:
flatlander wrote:Smith vs Miller: Both are great. Yeah, NDSU offered Smith (and so did UND and USD) but Miller looks like a stud too. While Smith gets a lot of touches, his output is impressive because every defense scheme he faces is designed around stopping him. That said, Miller is a great back whose speed is underrated and he doesn't get that much PT because Bismarck slaughters people.

i have heard that NDSU didn't even give Dressler an offer... but i am sure weston and his family are really the only ones to know that and i don't think they are really worried about north dakota preps

NDSU asked Weston to walk on.
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby unocero14 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:42 am

King James wrote:Miller's stats for week 2. 7 carries for 92 yards, 2 TD's and a 70 yard punt return for TD in one half. His total stats thus far 21 carries for 195 yards (9.3 yards per carry). 7 total TD's in 5 quarters of football.

Glad you know your math...I don't get why you do that...I already know he's good I don't need his stats weekly if I wanna know I'll go look them up

Who cares how many quarters he plays, so stop talking him up just bcuz your from BHS

These two great athletes are both good...I have respect for both of them, maybe you should stop making this a contest and be happy for both of them
unocero14
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 am

unocero14 wrote:
King James wrote:Miller's stats for week 2. 7 carries for 92 yards, 2 TD's and a 70 yard punt return for TD in one half. His total stats thus far 21 carries for 195 yards (9.3 yards per carry). 7 total TD's in 5 quarters of football.

Glad you know your math...I don't get why you do that...I already know he's good I don't need his stats weekly if I wanna know I'll go look them up

Who cares how many quarters he plays, so stop talking him up just bcuz your from BHS

These two great athletes are both good...I have respect for both of them, maybe you should stop making this a contest and be happy for both of them

i personally think its cool someone is keeping a running total of stats throughout the year... i really don't think that king james is comparing them and making it a contest because then he would have taken the time to find smiths numbers and put them on here too.. i would love for someone to start putting a running total of smiths stats on here too... there are some people like me who don't know where to go to find the stats for nd high school football... i running total on here would be kinda sweet
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby King James » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:46 pm

unocero14 wrote:

I will continue to do this just because i dont like you now and i know that you dont like this. I am happy for Smith but I am happier for Jake.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby dillseeds » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:20 am

Its truly impossible to accuratly compare the two, Smith plays against weaker teams but he also has the disadvantage of being wahps only offensive weapon. Where as Miller has Thorton and a whole bunch of great atheletes. I say we let the Bison decide, right now i would assume that Smiths winning this battle with a full tuition offer after running a 4.49 at the NDSU camp .
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvsports » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:37 am

dillseeds wrote:Its truly impossible to accuratly compare the two, Smith plays against weaker teams but he also has the disadvantage of being wahps only offensive weapon. Where as Miller has Thorton and a whole bunch of great atheletes. I say we let the Bison decide, right now i would assume that Smiths winning this battle with a full tuition offer after running a 4.49 at the NDSU camp .

I would say BHS has played weaker teams this year - compared to Wahp. Miller has only played the 1st half in both games. NDSU missed the boat on this one.
luvsports
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:31 am

i am gonna go out and say right now jamestown and north would beat st.marys... i can't say they would beat the other team whap played because i know nothing about them
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby flatlander » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:20 pm

It's not like NDSU was the only school to offer Smith - UND and USD both did. SDSU, UND, NDSU, and USD don't offer guys before their senior season unless they think he is a blue-chip player - but to make that judgement about a guy, they are going to want to see him up up close during the summer and it sounds like Miller wasn't able to go to camps (at least not NDSU's) so the lack of an early offer shouldn't surprise anybody. I expect that before the recruiting season is over, Jake will have plenty of offers.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby demonation1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:58 pm

dillseeds wrote:Its truly impossible to accuratly compare the two, Smith plays against weaker teams but he also has the disadvantage of being wahps only offensive weapon. Where as Miller has Thorton and a whole bunch of great atheletes. I say we let the Bison decide, right now i would assume that Smiths winning this battle with a full tuition offer after running a 4.49 at the NDSU camp .

your making it sound like NDSU is the best college that you can get into-which is not the point. and i take it you dont know that Miller had a hip problem that occured in the earlier track season, in which he aggravated during the und football camp... a couple days later the ndsu camp was on-i believe. so i dont think that you can truly say that Smith is winning this battle because of a football camp.
demonation1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Favrefan4ever » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:03 pm

last year smith played against all the edc teams and put up good numbers as being like the only good player on the team and every team knew they were going to run the ball
miller also puts up great numbers when he is in there but it helps to have talent around you too
having thorton and a good offensive line helps to open it up for miller cause the defense can't just stack the box for the run
but either way both are great running backs and athletes and will both be going somewhere to play after high school
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to AAA