Picking a college

The teams in Class AAA

Picking a college

Postby AAAsportsfan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:54 am

If you had the chance to go to UND and/or NDSU but were offered more money to play at a different college, and probably be on the field your freshman year--what would you do? Just trying to get some idea of how others would handle the situation! :?
AAAsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Picking a college

Postby football guy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:25 pm

are these other colleges below UND/NDSU? (lower than Div I-AA?)
football guy

Postby AAAsportsfan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Two are D II schools; others--say--MSU, DSU, VCSU, Jamestown.
AAAsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby football guy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:37 pm

well the main thing you need to consider is what is important to you. personally if i had the chance to go D-1 or D-2 i don't think i would be able to turn that down. if being on the field your first year is more important, it is much easier to accomplish at a smaller school. but you have to think about whether you will regret turning down the opportunity to go to a division 1 college
football guy

Postby AAAsportsfan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:50 pm

What about more scholarship money and playing for a D II school?
AAAsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:27 pm

If things are similar as far as scholarship money then I would look at other variables, such as which academic programs interest me more. There is a good chance that you might want to change majors at some point in your education, do all schools offer enough flexibility as far as that goes? Is distance from home a factor? I knew of a few kids that just never got comfortable being away from home for the first time and that sort of ruined their first college experience because of the distance factor. I know guys who played small college football and had the time of their lives and were happy to play NAIA and wouldn't change anything about it, and I knew guys who played in the old NCC conference and they were happy they chose the highest level that they could play at, whether they got to see the field much, or not. Personally If football was a big factor, (and I never played in college, but I did hang out with some players) then how the coaching staff treated me during the recruitment process would be a big factor. You will want to be someplace that you feel you are making a difference in people's lives. Someplace that treats you with respect even after you sign a letter of intent.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby mc696 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:15 pm

I think you have to consider the school and situation how stable staff is ect, I was unlucky enougth to make a choice then have a coaching turnover that was very disappointing and made my decision a bad one, and cut my college playing to 2 years. You also have to look at your commitment the longer season year round work is a big change from High School ball with the Div I schools they play more games and later the playoff schedule could be brutal. Im sure Mary has stepped up as well with Div II with phycilities and time commitments to program.

Playing right away would be an attraction as right now going to SU or UND you would almost surely reshirt totally sitting a year. But that year gives you a opportunity to prove yourself and commitment I know we lost about 5 guys in that time frame that just didnt want to play badly enough to put up with that year, at least 2 of them I know about went down and played NAIA and had great careers and enjoyed the experience. At the same time I know some guys who chose Concordia and it wasnt intense enough for them and it was harder for them to jump up. For someone not sure 2 year schools are a good alternative(Usually better than walking on without coaches asking) as you will play and if good enough you will have bigger schools wanting you now that your a more proven commodity. We had at least 4 starters from 2 year jr colleges.

My best advice would be thou make sure you like the school as well not just the program you have to live there go to class and work, 5 years is too long to be someplace you dont like. Things can happen, a lot dont play 4 years, so making football only choice is easy to do but can be a mistake.
mc696

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:56 am

I always tell my players to ask themselves the question: "What if I had a career ending injury? Would this be a school I would want to stay?" Students need to recognize that they are choosing a school and not just a program. If they were done, would they stay or transfer? If it a school they would stay at without athletics, then that is the program for them.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Rodgers4ever » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 pm

i know that some of u may not agree with me on this. but i believe that if you are not offered at least your living expenses with scholarships that it is time to move on from athletics. whether that be football, bball, or baseball. what some athletes dont understand is the time commitment that is required to play a college sport, its a job. its no longer an extra curricular. also the second that u graduate from high school, unless your god's gift to a sport from nd your not goin to play professionally, u have to prepare for your life in the future. the time commitment that is required negatively affects academics. your grades in college affect the type of job u may have. i have the belief that academics must come b4 athletics. COLLEGES HAVE INTRAMURALS FOR A REASON. i may be alone in saying this. but paying to play at college just doesnt make sense to me
If their shooting at you, you're doing something right
Rodgers4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Most of the guys I knew from Valley City St. who played football combined their scholarship money with a Pell grant or a V500 scholarship and were able to pay all their tuition and books. They were mostly happy to be able to play football and get a free, or cheap, education.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Return to AAA