Reffing Throughout the State

The teams in Class AAA

Reffing Throughout the State

Postby jonny906 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:20 pm

I have come to the conclusion after watching the North vs Williston game, that all of the refs need to be taught how to ref. Every game i have seen this year, most all of the refs are very inconsistent about their calls. I am not bashing refs, but i think a lot more seminars should be required for next year. And maybe get some out of state refs for the state championship game.
jonny906
NDPreps Starter

Re: Reffing Throughout the State

Postby SouthPlaya72 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:59 pm

it was the exact same thing at the south game...and I'm sorry when a player is 3 yards in the end zone and drops the ball its A touch down not a fumble
SouthPlaya72
NDPreps Reserve

Postby KyleJRM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:48 pm

(With the cavaet that I have a lot of respect for referees, it's a hard job and they generally get it right)

One of my favorite sideline moments this season covering Williston:

I forget what game it was, it was in the last month or so. On third down, the opposing team runs the ball and gets tackled near the market. The ball is spotted, the ref calls it short and signals fourth down. Unfortunately, the chain gang and one of the other officials thought it was a first down and had already set up for the new spot. The opposing coach is yelling like crazy. The officials confer, and the ref signals first down. He walks over to the Williston sideline and says he's sorry, it wasn't a first down, but they're gonna have to call it one because the chains already moved and they don't know exactly where to put them back.

The Williston sideline, to their credit, accepts this pretty calmly.
:lol:
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 am

They are subject to human error, just like everyone else. For the most part they are out there doing the best job they can so athletes and fans alike can enjoy the fairest competition that they can provide. Since this topic is "Reffing Throughout the State" I'd like to congratulate all those around the state who have put their time and effort into bringing North Dakota some great games this year. Without them there is no contest.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballdb » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:14 pm

I would agree with the refs usually trying to do the right thing, on the other hand I have seen some terrible home officiating. I would like to suggest that officials from wahpeton not be allowed to ref home games in wahpeton...they have to go to fargo or g.f to ref, the same for fargo and grand forks officials. at least that may make the playing field a little bit more even for the kids. i have talked with players who knew they were going to get the home calls by their refs and actually laughed about the calls they were getting.
footballdb

Postby Keyz20 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:42 pm

at the williston vs fargo game they moved the spot of the ball almost everytime and they miss placed a couple of big first down spots.......They also called a ttouchdown for fargo that was not really a touchdown the kids knee was down about a yard prior to the goalline and the official was totally unsure about it cause he stood there for about 10 sec. wondering what he should rule it
"Hold The Rope"
Keyz20
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:48 pm

We are here to discuss the games and promote sportsmanship. If you want to complain to a ref you should at least approach them in person where you can be held accountable for what you say. Sorry, but this topic is too close to being a "complain about the ref's" forum.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 pm

The way I see this topis is this. There are how many eyes in the stands. How many eyes are out on the field. If you don't like the reffing, then get off your duff and get involved. Become a ref and make the change for the good of the game.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:The way I see this topis is this. There are how many eyes in the stands. How many eyes are out on the field. If you don't like the reffing, then get off your duff and get involved. Become a ref and make the change for the good of the game.

Well said, that's how the topic should be approached.
Refs make mistakes, just like everyone else does.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to AAA