AAA - Week # 6 Schedule (2008)

The teams in Class AAA

Re: AAA - Week # 6 Schedule (2008)

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Well, Edina is going to play FS again next year, according to the paper. So they'll get another shot at them next year, and hopefully do well.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 pm

anybody know if i can listen to the st. mary's-minot game on the internet?
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby MinotBison » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Minot won fairly easily. Just too much horsepower for St. Marys.

Minot does seem to have modifed its passing game somewhat. Its more of a short, controlled type of attack which seems a little more compatible with the QB's abilities. They also tried to utilize the speed of Donte Smart more, which seemed helpful. How effective those things will be against a better team only time will tell.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:32 pm

ND Football Guy wrote:Friday, October 3

20 Bismarck Century at Jamestown 6

Bismarck St. Mary's at Minot

Dickinson at Williston

16 Fargo Shanley at Detroit Lakes, MN 23

Fargo South at Grand Forks Red River

14 Grand Forks Central at West Fargo 28
Mandan at Bismarck High

7 Wahpeton at Fargo North 14

What I've seen so far.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby biggie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 am

Williston beat Dickinson 35-7 tonight.
biggie
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND Football Guy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:16 am

Updated.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby StateChamp55 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:10 am

Continuing on the FSH Edina topic...Although South may be the top team in North Dakota again this year we have to be honest with ourselves. Their talent level this year is nothing like it has been the past two years when they steamrolled through North Dakota. I haven't had a chance to see them in person this year but from what i know they have a young qb a pretty good o line and a good wing back or running back and their defense is pretty good. But I think they should have played one of the better teams in Minnesota last year or the year prior when they could have given a better game. I applaud their effort though going up against the big dogs and fighting until the end.
StateChamp55

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:19 pm

Things like the Edina - FS game happen. Minnesota has a way larger population than North Dakota, and year after year they are able to reload without a huge hassle. I'm sure FS could have beaten Edina a few years back, but either way, FS is doing very well in ND this year, and that's their focus.

It's always nice to beat a team you're not supposed to beat (a high ranking MN team), but it's not necessary.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby StateChamp55 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:45 pm

You are absolutely right in the sense that it does not matter. If South goes on to win their 3rd consecutive state title no one in North Dakota can continue to bad mouth them for losing to a very exceptionial team.
StateChamp55

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:08 pm

StateChamp55 wrote:You are absolutely right in the sense that it does not matter. If South goes on to win their 3rd consecutive state title no one in North Dakota can continue to bad mouth them for losing to a very exceptionial team.

Don't see how anyone could badmouth South for their loss except Minnesota teams that have beaten Edina. No team in ND this year is in comparison to those top 5A schools from MN. Can't really deny it.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby jonny906 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:33 pm

Yea south two years ago would most likely beaten any team Min could produce. And, any comments on that north whap game? north held them to the lowest points yet and won
jonny906
NDPreps Starter

Postby FBguy17 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:36 pm

i think north did a great job at stopping whapetons running game to help them win the game.
FBguy17

Postby Number7 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:49 am

I guarantee even that south team would have lost to the best teams in Minnesota 5A (Eden Prarie, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Cretin Derham Hall, etc.) You have to remember that Edina isnt even ranked this year
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby StateChamp55 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Number7 wrote:I guarantee even that south team would have lost to the best teams in Minnesota 5A (Eden Prarie, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Cretin Derham Hall, etc.) You have to remember that Edina isnt even ranked this year

You only garantee that because you are from bismarck and haven't beaten Fargo South in 3 years
StateChamp55

Postby Number7 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:08 pm

StateChamp55 wrote:
Number7 wrote:I guarantee even that south team would have lost to the best teams in Minnesota 5A (Eden Prarie, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Cretin Derham Hall, etc.) You have to remember that Edina isnt even ranked this year

You only garantee that because you are from bismarck and haven't beaten Fargo South in 3 years

Im not even close to bismarck, but i can guarantee that after seeing how much better the top teams in Minnesota 5A are compared to ND's top teams. Its not even close. I dont think any ND would even have a shot at the 4A championship this year, and some of MN's past 3A and 2A champs could win a 3A 'ship in ND. I dont want to bash ND because I am all for ND teams and kids succeeding at every level of athletics. But I also dont want people to have a skewed perspective on how good ND teams are compared to those in other nearby states.
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby pepsi123 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 pm

you would have to be a benchwarmer to say that South two years ago wouldnt stand a chance against any 5a reams from minnesota. You seem to think that just because there from minnesota that they are exceptional at football. I think you need to take into consideration that south did have a 1200 pound offensive line (richard, vadnais330+) two gatoraide players of the year and a defense that was faster than any offense in the state. Almost every single player from that team team is playing college football and many at major 1 aa schools. If only they could have played then so the speculation can stop and the most likely greatest team in north dakota history could get credit were credit is due. with kevin feeney behind the wheel south can run with anyone anytime.
pepsi123

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:53 am

I think Souths team from 2 years ago would have competed with almost any team in Minnesota. Didn't their offensive line play in the Badlands Bowl and pretty much dominate the all-stars from Montana? That being said, Detroit lakes is a pretty decent 4A team (5-1) and struggled to beat Shanley last weekend. Duluth East is one of the best teams in 4A this year (6-0) and their closest game this year was with Fargo North. Most of the 4A teams in Minnesota have larger enrollments than just about all of the schools in North Dakota. What it really comes down to is that good teams are good teams, regardless of where they play and who they play.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:28 am

NDSportsFan wrote:Most of the 4A teams in Minnesota have larger enrollments than just about all of the schools in North Dakota. What it really comes down to is that good teams are good teams, regardless of where they play and who they play.

That's what it boils down to. Let's not mention the fact that Minnesota's population is over 8 1/2 times that of North Dakota's. :roll:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby wildcats » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Yes, Minnesota has a significantly larger population than North Dakota. Year in and year out the top North Dakota schools could not compete with the top Minnesota schools. People keep talking about the South v Edina game, Edina is not even a top team in Minnesota. If they played EP or Cretin the score would have been worse. Someone made the point that the South team from two years ago has many players playing FCS football. The Minnesota players are playing FBS football. Laurinitis at OSU, Carlson who was at Notre Dame, Fitzgerald at Pitt, even though that was a while ago, Mauer who had a ride to Florida State. North Dakota's high end talent (with a couple exceptions) goes to NDSU or UND, Minnesota's go to the Big Ten, Pac Ten, ACC, etc.
wildcats

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:00 pm

So your saying that a state with 8 1/2 times more population produces more division 1 athletes? Which single team from two years ago in Minnesota had all those guys go on to play FBS again? I didn't catch the name of the school.

North Dakota schools are usually at a disadvantage when they play again teams from Minnesota. Edina has about 600 more students than Fargo South, Duluth East (number 6 in 4A) has about 400 more students than Fargo North, and Detroit Lakes has a little more than double the student body of Shanley. So it's not always on equal ground. A better matchup would be South against Moorhead, they have about the same enrollment. Who do you think would win that one this year? Last year? The year before?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby wildcats » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Moorhead is not a top program in the state of Minnesota. Im not arguing the fact South can compete with a lot of the 5A Minnesota schools, just not the top tier. I know those programs have a much higher enrollment, so they "should" beat South, and they would.
wildcats

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:42 pm

wildcats wrote:Moorhead is not a top program in the state of Minnesota. Im not arguing the fact South can compete with a lot of the 5A Minnesota schools, just not the top tier. I know those programs have a much higher enrollment, so they "should" beat South, and they would.

The 2006 South team could have. Not this years, not last years. It's called speculation. That's all we are saying, it's an opinion.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Either way, I think there's been a lot of hating on South here. I hope people do realize that South only has two more years before they're split in half. That's going to seriously effect their sports, no doubt. I also fear it'll leave ND with a less prominent and powerful team to go year in and year out.
For this, even if South does do well again this year, I wouldn't be mad. This will probably be one of the last years where South can do so well. After that, I'd look more to Bismark and West Fargo, assuming they maintain the talent they have now.
West Fargo has a huge enrollment, by the way.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Number7 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:53 pm

The school who has a huge enrollment and really should have two public high schools by now in Minot.
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby HeisAlive » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:52 am

Number7 wrote:The school who has a huge enrollment and really should have two public high schools by now in Minot.

Agree! But don't think it will happen because of the town.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to AAA