Bismarck High

The teams in Class AAA

Bismarck High

Postby Indy5 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Now I realize they still have to go win the title and upsets happen, but it does appear to be a pretty much forgone conclusion they'll win it all. So, is this year's BHS team better than last years? And where do they rank in the recent history of their teams dating back to the days of the Weston Dressler and then Esley Thorton?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Re: Bismarck High

Postby Snapalopes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 am

IF this years Bismarck High team wins it all, I would put them in the top three for recent-history teams. In my opinion, they would be put behind the 2009 team, with Esley Thorton. Although, I do think their defense is debatably the best of all time.
Snapalopes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TheSportTruth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:34 am

In having missed only two home games for the Demons in the last thirteen years, I have seen plenty of Demon teams in recent years.

The 2001 edition of the Demons was a very well rounded team that won the championship that year. They had two tough backs that year in Elliot Piper and Derek Kinnischtzke, a young sophomore receiver named Weston Dressler with a second year QB Salweai throwing to him. The line was very good as it was anchored by Greg Eslinger who went on to star at Minnesota and play some NFL. A very well rounded team they were.

The 2003 edition was Weston Dresslers senior year and they as a team put up some crazy offensive numbers that year, most of them by Mr. Dressler himself. The Defense was solid, but their achilles heal was their inablity to throw the ball that year. West Fargo beat them in the championship that year by concentrating on Dressler and daring the Demons to pass. One of my favorite teams to watch over the years just because Weston was amazing to watch.

The 2008 and 2009 editions of the Demons were the the Thorton and Jake Miller years. In my opinion, easily the most balanced team the Demons have had over the years. They could pass with Thorton and run with Miller all behind a well coached offensive line. Add to that a defensive that was pretty solid makes this team, especially the 2009 edition, very good. One of the best!!

The 2011 edition was good, but the more mature version, 2012, is much better. IF they win the title this year, and I think we all assume they will, this team and the 2009 team would be my choices for the best recent history Demon team. This years Demon is very well rounded as they run the ball extremely well behind another well coached offensive line. This team can pass when they need too, to keep opposing teams honest in their defense against the Demons. The defense is lights out the best defense the Demons have EVER put on the field. They are so fast and so aggressive. Opposing teams have one TD scored against the starters and that required a broken play and a bad call to get them to a first and goal. This team in a word has been dominating.

I would love to see the 2009 team play this years 2012 edition. Could this years defense stop the Thorton/Miller led offense? Could this years offense led by Layne Johs score enough against the 2009 defense?

If the 2012 Demons win in dominating fashion, I might have to give the nod to the 2012 edition as the best recent Demon team with the defense being the tipping point for me.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:24 pm

TheSportTruth wrote:The 2003 edition was Weston Dresslers senior year and they as a team put up some crazy offensive numbers that year, most of them by Mr. Dressler himself. The Defense was solid, but their achilles heal was their inablity to throw the ball that year. West Fargo beat them in the championship that year by concentrating on Dressler and daring the Demons to pass. One of my favorite teams to watch over the years just because Weston was amazing to watch.

I've think I've seen 3 AAA games in my life and this was one of them and this game was not the championship I'm thinking it was semis as the game was in WF. WF had a great running combo with Roehl and (I want to say his name was) McNeil, who went to NDSCS and UNO.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheSportTruth » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Flip wrote:
TheSportTruth wrote:The 2003 edition was Weston Dresslers senior year and they as a team put up some crazy offensive numbers that year, most of them by Mr. Dressler himself. The Defense was solid, but their achilles heal was their inablity to throw the ball that year. West Fargo beat them in the championship that year by concentrating on Dressler and daring the Demons to pass. One of my favorite teams to watch over the years just because Weston was amazing to watch.

I've think I've seen 3 AAA games in my life and this was one of them and this game was not the championship I'm thinking it was semis as the game was in WF. WF had a great running combo with Roehl and (I want to say his name was) McNeil, who went to NDSCS and UNO.

Flip...this was the 2003 championship game. It was at the dome and West Fargo won 45-21. Tyler Roehl and Mc Neil were a huge part of that win, offense and defense. As a matter fact, West Fargo held the Dakota Bowl record for most total yards in a championship game for a few years. I know that West Fargo and the Demons met in the 2002 semi's, maybe that is the game you are thinking. WF won that one convincingly as well, as they went on to smoke Minot in the championship that year.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I thought that prior to me posting, but I thought Dressler and Roehl were seniors when I saw them play. Seems obvious now I was incorrect.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to AAA