Fargodome

The teams in Class AAA

Fargodome

Postby Body Blow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm interested in getting everyone's opinions on that both South and West Fargo are playing their playoff games in the dome. I think it produces an unfair advantage for those teams. I get it if that was their regular site for home games but its not so you know they are doing it to get used to playing indoors.
Body Blow
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Fargodome

Postby Indy5 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Body Blow wrote:I'm interested in getting everyone's opinions on that both South and West Fargo are playing their playoff games in the dome. I think it produces an unfair advantage for those teams. I get it if that was their regular site for home games but its not so you know they are doing it to get used to playing indoors.

And? If they want to pay to rent it out, good for them. I'd say they're the smart ones for getting inside in october/november in ND
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby PhillipRivers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Not at all a unfair advantage. If anything it will produce more fans to be indoors in the terrible weather and theyre still in fargo? Its probably more of an advantage if the weather holds out to be a terrible as predicted this friday
PhillipRivers
NDPreps Reserve

Postby End90 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 am

Probably not as big of an advantage in this one and first game, but moving further into the playoffs it may become a greater advantage, especially over a team like Bismarck High who wouldn't have any games inside or any games in the Fargodome prior to the championship, if they continue to move on. For South (or even possibly West Fargo) if they make it to the championship game that would then be their 3rd game in a row in a dome (Fargodome). The championship game being in Fargo already creates a home field advantage for any Fargo team (no travel, comfort of being at home, more fans). In my opinion, the games should be played on each teams actual home field (i.e. where they played their season home games), not a one game rented field. If they want to rent that field for the whole season then fine, but not for just one game (or the playoffs). Allowing teams to rent a field for one game could open up a can of worms. Of course, the way Bismarck High has played this year none of this probably matters.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby TheSportTruth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:05 am

Personally I believe a team should play their games on their own home field. However, until the NDHSAA says you can't, the east will have the option of "renting" a climate controlled field. A number of people in the west has complained about this in the past, but if the west had a climate-controlled you know they would "rent" it as well. As I said earlier, I would like to see all teams play their games on their home field until the final two teams get to the championship game in a climate-controlled field.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby In_the_Know » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

End90 wrote:Probably not as big of an advantage in this one and first game, but moving further into the playoffs it may become a greater advantage, especially over a team like Bismarck High who wouldn't have any games inside or any games in the Fargodome prior to the championship, if they continue to move on. For South (or even possibly West Fargo) if they make it to the championship game that would then be their 3rd game in a row in a dome (Fargodome). The championship game being in Fargo already creates a home field advantage for any Fargo team (no travel, comfort of being at home, more fans). In my opinion, the games should be played on each teams actual home field (i.e. where they played their season home games), not a one game rented field. If they want to rent that field for the whole season then fine, but not for just one game (or the playoffs). Allowing teams to rent a field for one game could open up a can of worms. Of course, the way Bismarck High has played this year none of this probably matters.

Dakota Bowl 2012 is in Grand Forks at the Alerus Center.
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Footballfan#1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 am

It's not fair at all. I don't know if any of you have ever played there but it's much harder to play there and by letting them play there throughout the playoffs gives them a huge advantage.
Footballfan#1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 pm

You know the West could rent it also. The semi's were to be in the domes but the West stopped that by wanting to play on their home field. Also I do believe that it could help any team that likes to pass to come indoors no matter how many times you play there. Quit bellyaching!
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Body Blow » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm

The advantage that I was eluding towards is that in the fourth quarter when you are sucking air its WAY different then being outdoors. So lets say the playoffs play out the way they are seeded South would have two games in an indoor facility while BHS would have none. Thats the combative advantage I'm talking about
Body Blow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball fan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Ok dont jump all over me as realize a football forum but what is the difference when in basketball the west plays the WDA in the Bismarck Civic Center and then state is there the next weekend.....or in baseball when state rotates between two "west" division schools in Mandan and Jamestown and the east does not play any HS games there....it happens in all sports....not sure but is it then unfair that Gf schools play their games on turf for football and if they play in the dome they are more used to how to play on turf? just a few examples that just play the game and advantages however slight can always be pointed out.
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Body Blow » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:29 pm

baseball fan wrote:Ok dont jump all over me as realize a football forum but what is the difference when in basketball the west plays the WDA in the Bismarck Civic Center and then state is there the next weekend.....or in baseball when state rotates between two "west" division schools in Mandan and Jamestown and the east does not play any HS games there....it happens in all sports....not sure but is it then unfair that Gf schools play their games on turf for football and if they play in the dome they are more used to how to play on turf? just a few examples that just play the game and advantages however slight can always be pointed out.

Ok start with basketball. The main difference in playing at civic center is different bounce of the rims. Which is a challenge going from any gym to another. Baseball I will admit don't know a lot about but the only advantage I see is playing with the same umps. Cause to me thats the biggest challenge game to game figuring out the umps strike zone. The biggest thing about football is going from outdoors to indoors. And that is an advantage that most teams cant take advantage of.
Body Blow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby YourCrazy00 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Bismarck teams have the option to practice in the golf dome when they want to. It's clear to see that Bismarck High does something different as last year the championship week, both teams practiced in the golf dome. Who was prepared that day? I feel BHS will have no problem being ready to play indoors. The way it has looked teams with any advantage at all, it hasn't helped them. The only advantage an opposing team could have is Bismarck's JV squad, if even.
YourCrazy00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I think you're making a bigger deal of the outside vs inside thing than it really is.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby bearcubphil » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Gosh....Funny how South and West Fargo aren't playing each other in the Dome on Friday....Dickinson and Minot are playing there also....So aren't Dickinson and Minot getting unfair advantage too? Or are you already dismissing them from winning?
bearcubphil
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 am

Indy5 wrote:I think you're making a bigger deal of the outside vs inside thing than it really is.

Yup. It's probably a bigger deal for a fan, than it is for a coach or a player.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheSportTruth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I find it interesting that last week the Bruins played inside the dome against a team that I am sure they were confident they could beat inside or outside. So, lets play inside. This week the Bruins have elected to play outside on their on field against the pass happy Patriots of Bismarck Century. Lets see...a run first offense(Bruins) playing a pass-a-lot offense(Century)...yea lets play this one outside. :)

If I was coaching and had the option...I would do it exactly as the Bruins did. Part of coaching is finding the advantage and exploiting it.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:55 pm

TheSportTruth wrote:I find it interesting that last week the Bruins played inside the dome against a team that I am sure they were confident they could beat inside or outside. So, lets play inside. This week the Bruins have elected to play outside on their on field against the pass happy Patriots of Bismarck Century. Lets see...a run first offense(Bruins) playing a pass-a-lot offense(Century)...yea lets play this one outside. :)

If I was coaching and had the option...I would do it exactly as the Bruins did. Part of coaching is finding the advantage and exploiting it.

Actually the Bruins did not elect to play outside. The FargoDome was already booked for the weekend by Minnesota so they were forced to play outside on their own field. The Dome was not even an option.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TheSportTruth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Baller wrote:
TheSportTruth wrote:I find it interesting that last week the Bruins played inside the dome against a team that I am sure they were confident they could beat inside or outside. So, lets play inside. This week the Bruins have elected to play outside on their on field against the pass happy Patriots of Bismarck Century. Lets see...a run first offense(Bruins) playing a pass-a-lot offense(Century)...yea lets play this one outside. :)

Actually the Bruins did not elect to play outside. The FargoDome was already booked for the weekend by Minnesota so they were forced to play outside on their own field. The Dome was not even an option.

Okay...so they didn't have the option, but if they did...I would have done the same way it worked out. Playing Century outside is way better than inside, especialy since Fargo South is more run oriented.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Baller wrote:

What is Minnesota doing in a North Dakota venue?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Baller wrote:

Every year they do Section Championships in the FargoDome...about 9 games are played there throughout the two days
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:56 pm

This year is the first year I can remember the section 6 and 8 9 man championships not in the Alerus. Fargodome has also hosted some MN state football games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Baller wrote:

Every year they do Section Championships in the FargoDome...about 9 games are played there throughout the two days

All I'm saying is you don't see an ND state title at TCF Bank Field haha.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Baller wrote:

Its Section titles...in a neutral site...near the schools/sections. Its not like they play the State title in Fargo...that's what the MetroDome is for.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Mandan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Baller wrote:

Its Section titles...in a neutral site...near the schools/sections. Its not like they play the State title in Fargo...that's what the MetroDome is for.

Exactly. The equivalent would be if MSU-Moorhead had a dome, and they played some North Dakota playoff games in the Moorhead dome. It's right across the border, and convenient.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonnation » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Its not an advantage at all. The dimensions of the dome is identical to any other field in the world. It gives the state a place big enough to house their fans comfortably . How many western Nd fans would travel to fargo to watch a game in 30 degrees? 20,000 NDSU fans is a home field advantage. 1,000 more south high fans has little impact on the game. The travel may be a bigger advantage but the road trip is fun.. Heck did you know NDSU still practices outdoor when weather permits and they do alright! :)
bisonnation
NDPreps Rookie

Return to AAA