New Bismarck High School

The teams in Class AAA

New Bismarck High School

Postby oldcoach2 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Looking for everyones thoughts regarding the 3rd high school in Bismarck and how it will effect BHS and CHS in the long run.
oldcoach2
NDPreps Reserve

Re: New Bismarck High School

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am

Don't think it would hurt too much, if Bismarck is still an open enrollment. The kids will stay loyal to the Demons or Patriots. After a few years it might make a little impact. Until the enrollment is closed to areas, there won't be much change.

Is this school gonna be on the east side?
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby TheSportTruth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:28 pm

The school board doesn't know where the school will be located. From people I have talked to, the board would either like to put the school in the NE part of Bismarck or somewhere on the East side of Bismarck. I think the board would like each high school to have it's own middle school feeding into each high school. Right now BHS and CHS each have a middle school with our third middle school going to both schools. I believe the board would like this third middle school to be the feeder school for the new high school. This third middle school is on the east side of town. Thus the reason for a NE or E location.

As for how it will affect the current schools, I have it on good authority that the schools lines are going to be redone. When done, whatever school zone you are in is the school you will be going too. It sounds like there will be few exceptions. Open enrollment is going to be VERY limited. The affect on athletics is that BHS and CHS will have a handful less athletes each year as the ones missing will be from the third middle school that used to split between BHS and CHS. Some years not a big deal other years a big deal. As an example, Esley Thorton from a few years ago was a third middle school kid that would have gone to the new school instead of BHS. That would have been a big deal to Demons athletics.

All in all, I think the new high school is going to be a good thing. Level the playing field a little in making CHS and BHS smaller.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:21 am

I am not real informed as to the big schools and how they do things, so I have a question. Why does Minot only have the one school (not counting Ryan) and why arn't they looking to build another school? Is it because they don't want to split their athletes or because they don't feel they need to? (I know they have Central Campus for 9th/10th Grade and Magic City Campus for 11th/12th - is that why?) Just wondering.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TheSportTruth » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Sportsrube...In years past, just as you posted, they didn't think they needed too. However, in the last couple of years with their school enrollment growing, there has been some whispers of maybe bringing up the possibility of a second school.

I wouldn't count on a second school anytime in the near future though. Minot has a history of moving slow on things like this. The city has voted down various funding proposals for the schools as well over the years. I think it would be a big deal to get the voters to approve a new school. Of course the new local "oil" might lube things up a bit.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I am not real informed as to the big schools and how they do things, so I have a question. Why does Minot only have the one school (not counting Ryan) and why arn't they looking to build another school? Is it because they don't want to split their athletes or because they don't feel they need to? (I know they have Central Campus for 9th/10th Grade and Magic City Campus for 11th/12th - is that why?) Just wondering.

I agree with Central Campus. For now I guess you could call it "the other school". It's lot like their cramming 2000 students in one school. Magic City Campus has almost as many students as all of Century. When you look at it that way it doesn't seem so odd. I have also heard that they are thinking of building a highschool just for "air base" kids. By the way, doesn't West Fargo cram 3000+ into on school?
Just my 2 cents.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby End90 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 am

Minot Public Schools has 1 high school (Minot High School), comprised of 2 campuses. Central Campus houses the freshman and sophmores, Magic City Campus houses the juniors and seniors. Magic City Campus is the main campus and contains the sports facilities. By having 2 campuses, Minot has likely been able to avoid a second high school. Especially now, Minot could use a second high school. However, there appears to be little push by those in charge for a second high school. The need to replace other school facilities after the flood may be a part of the reason. A second high school was brought up after the flood, but seemed to die quickly. There just never seems to be much of a push for a second high school by those in charge, not sure why, but I don't necessarily think that it has to do with athletics.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 pm

West Fargo has about 2200 students and is in the process of building a new high school
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TheSportTruth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm

The following are 2011 enrollments from DPI's website. I picked the AAA football schools and placed them from biggest to smallest. 2012 enrollments are more in a number of the high schools, but the lady I talked to at DPI said the numbers are to "fluid" to give as official. I am guessing it won't change the lineup to much.

1. West Fargo-2022 (as posted, they are building another high school)
2. Minot-1853 (has two campus; 9-10 in one and 11-12 in the other. little talk of a second high school)
3. Bismarck High-1708 (new high school being built in Bismarck. each school will lose about 500 kids)
4. Bismarck Century-1632 (new high school being built in Bismarck. each school will lose about 500 kids)
5. GF Red River-1114
6. Fargo South-1062
7. Fargo Davies-1053
8. Mandan-1026
9. Fargo North-1002
10. GF Central- 928
11. Williston-799
12. Dickinson-757
13. Jamestown-722
14. Devils Lake-537

It will be nice when West Fargo gets there school built and Bismarck gets ther school built, there will be ten schools or so that have a 1000-1200 student enrollments. My guess is that Williston and Dickinson will have something closer to a thousand. Hopefully Jamestown can pick a few more up. Devils Lake will be able to go back to AA maybe, leaving Minot as the largest school looking at a potential new high school.

This all said, closer to equal enrollments would suggest that no one school will have the advantage of large enrollments in which to overpower smaller schools. It will take a well run program to do it now.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 am

Concerning Minot schools, we had lost a middle and elementary due to the flooding. Another elemantary school was damaged also. There was talk about another high school before the flood but right now I truely think they want to get these other 2 school up and running right now. Ramstad middle school is at the Aud and Washington elemantary is at the Methodist chruch. They broke ground to rebuild Ramstad but haven't heard about Washington. We at Minot, know we need another high school and with the flood and oil field operation going on, we are building as fast as the contractor can build. If you come to Minot, it almost looks like a war zone still in the flood area and there is new construction going up everywhere. So, it will be a matter of time for a second high school will be built and I don't think it will be just for the "air base" kids. On the north high, yes I can see, but no just for the "baser" kids. The town is trying to grow north to the base and there is less chance of flooding heading north.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby TheSportTruth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Mighty-Mouse you are spot on. I lived in Minot for eleven years and my in-laws are longtime residents now retired there. There house of forty plus years is in the buyout zone and can no longer live there. I spent plenty of time moving and cleaning their destruction. You are right, in that Minot needs to concentrate on rebuilding their city, including the replacement of their schools lost before a second high school will be considered. Hopefully sometime in the future they will build the second high school. Then, most of the AAA football schools will be in and around a thousand students.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Return to AAA