The teams in Class AAA

Re: Who is the best runningback in AAA

Postby LuckyIam » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:05 pm

And he can pass!
LuckyIam
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bighouse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Well it looks like the game to see is Mandan and BHS. 2 of the best backs in the state lets see witch ones better Westby or Johs
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Against Minot, Westby had 114 yard on 28 carries................28 carries, there are alot of other RB's that could get 110+ yards on that many carries ( Larson, Johs, kid from Dickey ect.)(heard the kid from Dickinson was good so thats why I put him in there, I don;t know how good he is), there are probably more. As of kicking the extra points thing, they didn't attemt one extra point in that game. So I doubt that he can kick.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders01 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:13 pm

go maji wrote:Against Minot, Westby had 114 yard on 28 carries................28 carries, there are alot of other RB's that could get 110+ yards on that many carries ( Larson, Johs, kid from Dickey ect.)(heard the kid from Dickinson was good so thats why I put him in there, I don;t know how good he is), there are probably more. As of kicking the extra points thing, they didn't attemt one extra point in that game. So I doubt that he can kick.

Nobody wants to hear or cares what you have to say. Westby is a great running back
riders01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm

I am not saying anything about anything demeaning about Mandan. He is just a good RB just because he gets most if not all of the carries. I am just saying that if he got at least half of the carries, average of 10-20 carries like most other RB's, we wouldn't be talking about him as GREAT. When I look at RB's, I look at averages with 10 or more carries?/game. There are other RB's that have higher averages. That's all I'm sayin.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:48 pm

Out of curiosity how did thunder and lightning do against Mandan. Yards per carry? Since Mandan is the only team with a winning record Minot has played, like wise for Minot being the only team with a winning record they have played.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 am

go maji wrote:Against Minot, Westby had 114 yard on 28 carries................28 carries, there are alot of other RB's that could get 110+ yards on that many carries ( Larson, Johs, kid from Dickey ect.)(heard the kid from Dickinson was good so thats why I put him in there, I don;t know how good he is), there are probably more. As of kicking the extra points thing, they didn't attemt one extra point in that game. So I doubt that he can kick.

Seth had over 4 yards per carry against Minot. To quote you Mandan "has not faced a D-line like Minot's." This would almost cause the average observer to be even more impressed with Westby's performance, because he had over 4 yards per carry against a line that should have, as you described, manhandled Mandan's offensive line. Yet, Seth still got it done.

My opinion. Layne and Seth are the best running backs in the state of North Dakota, and I am absolutely loving it.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby powercat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 pm

One game doesn't dictate how it alawys is. If saying that a kid racking up 114 yards in a game makes him a sub par player because he carried it alot, then as a coach I want a bunch of sub par players. Westby has had many games over 100 yards on under 20 carries (I only saw the jamestown game.) Plus he has been doing it for multiple years. He really sets up mandans great passing attack.
powercat
NDPreps Starter

Postby centuryfan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:25 pm

There aren't very many highschool running backs who can carry the ball 28 times against a good defense.
centuryfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bighouse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 am

Instead of saying there aren't many running backs that can carry the ball 28 times, lets say high school running backs don't carry the ball 28 times. I have to agree with magi if alot of these kids got the ball 28 times they would have over 100 yards. Alot of them get close to 100 yards with only 15 carries. take the average of yards per carry
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby bighouse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 am

you also have to look at who is blocking for them. you take bismarcks, mandan or century's O-Line and put anyone of these running backs back there they are going to get alot of yards. when you have people blowing up big holes its not hard to run threw them.
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:50 am

Seth and Layne have put the work in to be successful for years and they deserve all of the success and accolades coming their way.

Layne works out, hard, every day. Summer, fall, winter, and spring. I spend a lot of time at the YMCA in Bismarck, and it is rare to be there without seeing him downstairs lifting. I could not be happier for his success.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bighouse » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:56 pm

i think there is alot of good running backs, but i also know it helps to have a line. do you think johs would be doing as good if he ran behind jamestowns O-line.
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:46 am

I do not think he would be doing as good if he ran behind Jamestown's offensive line, however, I do not think many other running backs would be as successful as Layne is behind Bismarck's offensive line, or as successful as Seth is behind Mandan's offensive line.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Adam Melom of Minot got 183 rushing yards against Centurys line. That must mean soumthin.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby bighouse » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:21 pm

thats really good. maybe the topic should be who is the top 5 runningbacks in the state because it sounds like there is a couple of really good ones :lol:
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:58 pm

I'll preface this by stating that I have watched Mandan play Minot, Bismarck play Century, and Mandan play Bismarck.

I don't think there is anyone close to Layne or Seth. Layne had 30 carries for either 225 or 255 yards with 3 touchdowns against Mandan, which Seth had 28 carries for 155 yards, although he had been at 25 carries for 174 yards, with a touchdown against Bismarck.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bighouse » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

i am going to say from this fridays games Johs from bismarck is a good running back, westby is good but johs is better. mandan won cause they have more weapons and better QB. I can say also that Larson from minot did not impress me he is one of the slowest runningbacks i have seen. minots tailback is alright but did not do much againts dickinson.
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby bighouse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:48 am

i am going to say i like cherwinski from dickinson as the best running back. he is getting yards and dosent have a O-line that helps a whole lot.
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:26 pm

bighouse wrote:i am going to say from this fridays games Johs from bismarck is a good running back, westby is good but johs is better. mandan won cause they have more weapons and better QB. I can say also that Larson from minot did not impress me he is one of the slowest runningbacks i have seen. minots tailback is alright but did not do much againts dickinson.

If Larson is "one of the slowest runningbacks i you've seen", why is he gaining 8.5 yards/carry?
He has the breakaway speed to get those 40 or 50 yard runs. He is also big and strong enough to run over guys. He is very hard to bring down in the open field.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby bighouse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:44 am

never said he wasnt big and strong he is. he is also hard to take down because of it, but he is slow, really slow
bighouse
NDPreps Starter

Postby SportsBro17 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:41 pm

go maji wrote:
bighouse wrote:i am going to say from this fridays games Johs from bismarck is a good running back, westby is good but johs is better. mandan won cause they have more weapons and better QB. I can say also that Larson from minot did not impress me he is one of the slowest runningbacks i have seen. minots tailback is alright but did not do much againts dickinson.

If Larson is "one of the slowest runningbacks i you've seen", why is he gaining 8.5 yards/carry?
He has the breakaway speed to get those 40 or 50 yard runs. He is also big and strong enough to run over guys. He is very hard to bring down in the open field.

Larson is most definitely not capable of breaking 40 to 50 yard runs. Too slow. He is a good line backer, that's for sure, but running back is not so much him. And all three of Minot's backs(Melom, Yanosko(is a QB so maybe shouldn't be thrown in here by me), and Larson) did not look too impressive against Bismarck.
SportsBro17
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sendthempackin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 am

Im not sure about you guys... but saintal from north is not to bad. he started as a sophmore. and there is also kraft from chs who was backup to olhauser last year and did not do to bad. sure johs is big, but he lacks the speed and agility of kraft and saintal.-http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/301619/headline/Peter%20Saintal/
sendthempackin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 am

Layne is a sprinter in track and field and will likely be a part of some sprint relays at BHS. Slow by no means.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demons12345 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Not nearly as fast as Miller or Mann in years past though.. I noticed in the Mandan and Century game a couple times where Johs had long gains, but in years past they were touchdowns. Layne is much bigger and stronger running back than Mann, Layne delivers hits to kids instead of being hit, but I thought it was clear that the breakaway speed in years past isn't there anymore. Not to say Johs isn't a good running back. When it's all said and done for Layne I would probably say he'll be better than Mann but not as good as Miller. And I think Westby is the best rb in the wda, slightly ahead of Johs... Just my 2 cents
demons12345
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to AAA