Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

The teams in 9 Man

Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

Postby thunder » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:29 pm

witherspoon wrote:After seeing what Napoleon did to The t-pups, the game between W/L and Nappy is even more interesting. I think Napoleon is going to eek this one out........what do you guys think?

There's alot of football to be played before the Napolean Gackle Streeter vs Wyndmere LIdgerwood game on October 14 in Wyndmere . Younger players will develop and injuries can happen. If the game was Sept 2, I would say Napolean would have the edge. Will be an awesome match up before the playoffs.
thunder
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Napolean-Gackle-Streeter vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

Postby waterboy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 am

I think we can safely talk about this game now that it is game week and not early September. I would say WL is the favorite based on the past 8 games and the home field. However, there is a lot at stake (#1 seed) and I would expect Napoleon will come ready to play. Should be fun.
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ToddZeile » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm afraid too many people don't realize how overrated this year's Wyndmere-Lidgerwood team is. They've had a relatively soft schedule to this point. Napoleon is going to be way too much for them to handle. I don't think there is much of a home field advantage, either. I think Napoleon wins easily.
ToddZeile
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:58 pm

ToddZeile wrote:I'm afraid too many people don't realize how overrated this year's Wyndmere-Lidgerwood team is. They've had a relatively soft schedule to this point. Napoleon is going to be way too much for them to handle. I don't think there is much of a home field advantage, either. I think Napoleon wins easily.

they play in the tougest region in the state, easily IMO
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby waterboy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:11 pm

ToddZeile wrote:I'm afraid too many people don't realize how overrated this year's Wyndmere-Lidgerwood team is. They've had a relatively soft schedule to this point. Napoleon is going to be way too much for them to handle. I don't think there is much of a home field advantage, either. I think Napoleon wins easily.

Good point. Napoleon's schedule has been much harder to this point. :lol:
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh man, think before you write. They've both played the same 8 teams. What in the world prompted you to say that W-L's schedule has been relatively soft?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Hinsa wrote:

Oh man, think before you write. They've both played the same 8 teams. What in the world prompted you to say that W-L's schedule has been relatively soft?

Well at least after both playing the same soft schedule they are undefeated going into the season finally.... Oh, wait..... scratch that :)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 am

Hinsa wrote:

This is too funny...
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ToddZeile » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks for the good ribbing, fellas. By "soft" I meant they have not yet played the one team in the region that is better than them! It happens this week. 30-6 Imperials!
ToddZeile
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 am

Has Napolean played a team in the region better than themselves? I am not sure who will win this one, but I think I would have to give the advantage to W/L. Against the same competition they have scored more points and given up fewer than Napolean. Plus they are at home. I think they will win by something like 8-12 points.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby footballchicken » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 am

28-14 Warbirds - i think athlete for athlete they match up pretty even - i beleive the coaches game plans and play calling will be the difference
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby theworldismine1999 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 pm

ToddZeile wrote:Thanks for the good ribbing, fellas. By "soft" I meant they have not yet played the one team in the region that is better than them! It happens this week. 30-6 Imperials!

Hankinson 6- Napolean 0........ enough said..... Wyndmere wins big
theworldismine1999
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Flip wrote:

Take the top 4 teams from their Region and the top 4 from Region 2 and play these teams against one another and a 2 sweep wouldn't surprise me at all..

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (8-0) vsCavalier (8-0)
Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter (7-1) vsNorth Border (7-1)
LaMoure-L-M (6-2) vs New Rockford/Sheyenne (6-2)
South Border (5-3)vs Lakota-Adams/Edmore (5-3)
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 pm

winner-within wrote:Take the top 4 teams from their Region and the top 4 from Region 2 and play these teams against one another and a 2 sweep wouldn't surprise me at all..

I think the Region 1 team would be favored in every game.

Region 1 isn't the best team in the state just because of their top 4, but the top 8 teams are all pretty tough.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm

I disagree... pleasantly
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:

Take the top 4 teams from their Region and the top 4 from Region 2 and play these teams against one another and a 2 sweep wouldn't surprise me at all..

I think the W/L vs. Cavalier would be a good contest. I do not think the others would be very close, all going in favor of region 1. If North Border had a higher percentage passing game it would help them out. Playing smash mouth football would fit right into Napolieon G/S's game. LaMoure L/M as a 3 seed is really kind of a joke. I can't think of a three seed in the past as good as they are. I think they would win and probably have running clock by the end of the third quarter. I saw South Border play twice last year and was pretty impressed. Have not seem them yet this year. Just by their level of competition this year, I would give them the advantage.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby waterboy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 pm

You could even go a step further and line up the next three teams in Region - Hankinson, Edgeley, and Richland. They could easily match up competively against NB, NRS, and Lakota.
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:59 pm

d_fense wrote:I think the W/L vs. Cavalier would be a good contest. I do not think the others would be very close, all going in favor of region 1. If North Border had a higher percentage passing game it would help them out. Playing smash mouth football would fit right into Napolieon G/S's game. LaMoure L/M as a 3 seed is really kind of a joke. I can't think of a three seed in the past as good as they are. I think they would win and probably have running clock by the end of the third quarter. I saw South Border play twice last year and was pretty impressed. Have not seem them yet this year. Just by their level of competition this year, I would give them the advantage.

Hankinson 2009
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:01 pm

From what I have read on this thread, I am surprised the NDHSAA is even having a 9-man playoff. See who wins Region 1 and just give them the title. :roll:
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:24 pm

waterboy wrote:You could even go a step further and line up the next three teams in Region - Hankinson, Edgeley, and Richland. They could easily match up competively against NB, NRS, and Lakota.

Respect is earned, no respect here
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby DCFan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:Take the top 4 teams from their Region and the top 4 from Region 2 and play these teams against one another and a 2 sweep wouldn't surprise me at all..

I think the Region 1 team would be favored in every game.

Region 1 isn't the best team in the state just because of their top 4, but the top 8 teams are all pretty tough.

You better check scores and wins for Region 1. The bottom half has won 1 game against the the top teams and they blow each other out when they match up. I don't think 4 three win teams make your top eight all that great considering who their wins came against. And Hankinson beating NGS brings up some doubts about NGS. So I respectfully disagree with statement Flip.
DCFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 pm

classB4ever wrote:From what I have read on this thread, I am surprised the NDHSAA is even having a 9-man playoff. See who wins Region 1 and just give them the title. :roll:

What would this thread have to do with it.....there have been 100's of 9-man threads...and you finally come to this conclusion :roll:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby theworldismine1999 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Flip wrote:
d_fense wrote:I think the W/L vs. Cavalier would be a good contest. I do not think the others would be very close, all going in favor of region 1. If North Border had a higher percentage passing game it would help them out. Playing smash mouth football would fit right into Napolieon G/S's game. LaMoure L/M as a 3 seed is really kind of a joke. I can't think of a three seed in the past as good as they are. I think they would win and probably have running clock by the end of the third quarter. I saw South Border play twice last year and was pretty impressed. Have not seem them yet this year. Just by their level of competition this year, I would give them the advantage.

Hankinson 2009

Couldn't agree more with u here
theworldismine1999
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:14 pm

I think what you are trying to say here is that Hankinson 2009 was as good a three seed as LaMoure L/M 2011. I disagree. Hankinson was missing their best player (Alex) early in the year for a couple games if I remember correctly. I do not believe that their loss to Wyndmere Lidgerwood in the regular season was very close. Hankinson really had things fall together with a miracle finish vs. Hillsboro after being outplayed for 3 and 1/2 quarters. If I recall corectly they also had the fortune to play a Wyndmere Lidgerwood team that just got hit very hard with injuries. In the championship game that year (2009) I remembrer thinking that Hankinson may have been playing the poorest team to ever make it into that game. Just becasue they won state as a three, does not make them the best 3 seed ever. I think what I am baseing my arguement for LaMoure L/M beinig the best number 3 seed, is the fact that they just recently played at Wyndmere and only dropped the game by one score, and the fact that the only games they have dropped where vs. the number one and number two teams in the state. I am not at all surprised that they fell to Napolean G/S early in the season. It is so much more difficult to come down to nine man and play good defense. It is just a totally different animal than 11 man defense. All you have to do is look at the points per game scored by the average nine man team compared to the average 11 man team. Scoring in nine man is much easier while defense is much more difficult.

Nine man football is really a different creature. You can look at so many teams that have won state in a dominating fassion and play the this year vs. that year game. To bad we can't actually have those games happen. In my opinion it is rare that we have our very top teams truely evenly matched, which is why we have blowouts in our big games. I hope this year is different, but I think the smart money would be on more of the same old same old in the final game.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Hankinson, beat NRS by 1 in the first round. Beat Napoleon like 39-12 in the 2nd round after scoring like 30 pts in the 4th quarter. Beat SB by 20ish like 50-30. Had the miracle finish vs Hillsboro and then beat Parshall. WL lost to Hillsboro that year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to 9 - Man