Week 1

The teams in 9 Man

Week 1

Postby badboy20 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 pm

What are some games to see for the season opener?
badboy20
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Week 1

Postby dyhardballa09 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 pm

MLS @ TGU- Get to see if TGU can build off strong playoff push
TGU @ Divide County- Will DC return to top of region?
Hillsboro @ Thompson- Good battle between to playoff teams
E/K @ Hankinson- Can the defending champs start out strong?
Napolean @ CM- Two VERY strong teams
Wells County @ NRS- NRS gave Hankinson the biggest scare in playoffs.....many forget that.
St. John @ Westhope/Glenburn- Two teams with high expectations
MR @ Kenmare/Bowbell- Will MR be a powerhouse once again?
Lakota @ Benson County- Lakota is popular pick to win region, will BC pull the talent together this year?
Dunseith @ Four Winds- The North Dakota Toilet Bowl....which team will get it's only win this year?

Just some I found....
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:32 pm

dyhardballa09 wrote:Wells County @ NRS- NRS gave Hankinson the biggest scare in playoffs.....many forget that.

Did you forget they were down two TDs in the 4th quarter to the defending state champs?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby dyhardballa09 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Flip wrote:
dyhardballa09 wrote:Wells County @ NRS- NRS gave Hankinson the biggest scare in playoffs.....many forget that.

Did you forget they were down two TDs in the 4th quarter to the defending state champs?

Nope, didn't forget they allowed 4 Td's in first quarter. Then shut them out rest of game. Missed a 2-pt conversion in 4th quarter. Only lost by 2. So what if they were down by two Td's. All i was saying is that they were the closest to beating Hankinson last year in the playoffs.
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Closest to beating Hankinson? I don't think so.

Hillsboro had Hankinson down by 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter before Hankinson came storming back and scored the winning TD with just over a minute to play.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:41 pm

dyhardballa09 wrote:Hillsboro @ Thompson- Good battle between to playoff teams

Pretty sure this game is in Hillsboro.
Hinsa, any predictions on this game?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:35 pm

No prediction, just a bit of analysis.

Hillsboro has 3 new guys in the backfield. They may struggle to move the ball until these guys get used to each other. Hillsboro also doesn't have the team speed the speed at the skill positions they have had in the past. They will be strong at linebacker and their line has some experience as well.

Thompson - they are going to miss Weber and Reineke, but they have a lot of other guys back. They don't rely on a lot of throwing - at least they haven't in the past - so a new QB won't be forced to make a lot of plays. I think their line is big and good.

To me the key is if Hillsboro can get their option game going with all those new guys in the backfield. If not, Thompson will school Hillsboro.

This game is a great indicator of how good these teams will be.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby football45 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Edgeley-Kulm vs. Hankinson........thoughts?

Ill take Hankinson in a close game.
football45
NDPreps Starter

Postby itsallabouteddie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Hillsboro 38
Thompson 0 FINAL

The game was hard fought in the first half, with both teams struggling to get much going. Hillsboro led at the half 6-0. Hillsboro seemed to get the offense going in the 2nd as they scored on the first play of the second half took control after that. Hillsboro's defense played well and kept Thompson's offense in check. Thompson was missing Waxvik and 3 other players. On offense, Hillsboro stung themselves a bunch with penalties that took away one score at the end of the first half or it had them starting deep in their own territory several times. It seemed like the Burros had more penalties than they did points. Brandon and Michael Otto had some big runs as did Alex Mclean. Hillsboro mixed in a few more passes than normal and had success with it. They also had a couple of turnovers in the redzone.

Stats
Hillsboro: 471rushing, 96 passing, 567 offense
B. Otto 18car 102yds, 1TD, 4 for 8 passing, 96yds
A. Mclean 17car 197yds, 2td, 2 catches, 32yds
M. Otto. 5 carries 83yds, 1 TD
T. Anderson 2 catches 64yds
D. Bohn 2carries 69yds, 1TD

Thompson: 108 rushing, 20 passing, 128 offense
B. Hjelmsted 19carries 81 yds
itsallabouteddie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm

I was quite surprised at how Hillsboro shut down Thompson's run game. Thompson has work to do in their offensive line. Seems they really need Waxvik and Grote in the backfield ASAP.

Hillsboro ground out some tough yards. Alex McLean at fullback is the real deal. He drew lots of attention inside which opened up the Otto boys to run outside. Very nice opener for Hillsboro.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 am

Couple other scores:

Hankinson 31
EK 8

Sargent Central 24
Ellendale 22

North Star 42
Drayton/St. T 8

Dakota Prairie 36
FSHP 22

Lakota 30
Richland 28

My ealry analysis: Region 2 is the best region in the east again although not as good as last year. I think SB and Napoleon will be much better than the rest of region 1. Region 3? I have no idea.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:49 am

Hinsa wrote:I was quite surprised at how Hillsboro shut down Thompson's run game. Thompson has work to do in their offensive line. Seems they really need Waxvik and Grote in the backfield ASAP.

Hillsboro ground out some tough yards. Alex McLean at fullback is the real deal. He drew lots of attention inside which opened up the Otto boys to run outside. Very nice opener for Hillsboro.

Bunch of questions.
1) Why didn't Waxvik and Grote play?
2) Why didn't the Waters kid play? I think he started last year.
3) Didn't Suchor play back up RB or FB his sophmore year? after the first half I thought they could have used him in the backfield.
4) What happend to your awesome programs?

Prediction: Winner of the WL/Hillsboro game will be ranked #1 in the first poll. I think WL will win, basically based on what I've read on here, which doesn't mean much.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 am

Grote has some sort of foot problem, should be back in a week. Waxvik has a knee ligament problem, could be back in a week but it sounded like they weren't sure how damaged the knee is.

I don't think Waters will play football this year (that's my absolutely uneducated guess). His physical abilities just aren't quite up to snuff yet and risking a concussion after his accident is just not in the plan.

Suchor did play fullback as a sophomore. he is needed more in the line than the backfield right now. That could change if their line depth develops.

Don't know what was up with the programs. I know they cost a nickel or two to produce. Don't know if cost is the factor, or if Coach Rerick was the driver behind the programs, I just don't know. They were very nice though. I hope they can be resurrected.

As for W-L vs Hillsboro, I would have to agree that W-L is the favorite. They have so much coming back from last year. Hillsboro needs to eliminate penalties and get smoother in their execution to stay with W-L.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby football45 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:51 am

Good night for Region 2

Sargent Central got a well deserved and needed Win, and Hankinson showed no let down even after graduating all that they did.
football45
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 pm

football45 wrote:Good night for Region 2

Sargent Central got a well deserved and needed Win, and Hankinson showed no let down even after graduating all that they did.

I agree. Hankinson with an impressive win over E-K. And how about Richland taking Lakota-Adams-Edmore down to the wire! I thought L-A-E was a power in Region 3 and for Richland to almost knock them off speaks well that they have some young kids stepping up.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby football45 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Agreed, saw some highlights of the Richland game and they had some early big plays, but Aronson was too much to stop. Heard he had over 200 on the ground.
football45
NDPreps Starter

Postby imperials » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 pm

hankinson over e-k is not that impressive, e-k will not win very many games
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 am

Shiloh Christian 21 Wilton-Wing 18
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby JW_14 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 am

Flip wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I was quite surprised at how Hillsboro shut down Thompson's run game. Thompson has work to do in their offensive line. Seems they really need Waxvik and Grote in the backfield ASAP.

Bunch of questions.
1) Why didn't Waxvik and Grote play?
2) Why didn't the Waters kid play? I think he started last year.
3) Didn't Suchor play back up RB or FB his sophmore year? after the first half I thought they could have used him in the backfield.
4) What happend to your awesome programs?

Prediction: Winner of the WL/Hillsboro game will be ranked #1 in the first poll. I think WL will win, basically based on what I've read on here, which doesn't mean much.

The reason that I am not playing, Hinsa, is solely because of the reinjury risk, it could be permenant.. Ability has nothin to do with it ;)
JW_14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification, JW. Hope all goes well this winter!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Hillsboro beats Wyndmere 22-20. Listened to it on the radio. Sounded sloppy. Weber(sp) apparently injured his knee in the 4th quarter.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby E@stern Executioner » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Flip wrote:Hillsboro beats Wyndmere 22-20. Listened to it on the radio. Sounded sloppy. Weber(sp) apparently injured his knee in the 4th quarter.

I don't know if this game was really any "sloppier" than the normal first week high school football game. Both teams had a turnover or two and the usual penalties. Outside of that, nothing ridiculous. Hillsboro controlled the first half real well and led 22-12. They held on in a crazy back-and-forth defensive battle in the 2nd half after giving up the early score.
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby football45 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 am

NR-S won on a 33yd Field Goal it looks like from the box score....how much time was left in the game when they made the kick?

THat is clutch for 9 man - ND football
football45
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan10 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:57 am

football45 wrote:NR-S won on a 33yd Field Goal it looks like from the box score....how much time was left in the game when they made the kick?

THat is clutch for 9 man - ND football

Time expired when Andrew Schaefer made the kick. I heard it was 36-yards. They won 21-19.
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby newtotheeast » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Mott-Regent 48 - Kenmare/Bowbells 6
newtotheeast
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to 9 - Man