recruiting

The teams in 9 Man

recruiting

Postby UND9296 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:19 pm

I understand Andrew Grothmann visited UND this past weekend, and presumably either already has or soon will visit NDSU. Any word on other college visits by 9-man players?
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Re: recruiting

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 pm

UND9296 wrote:I understand Andrew Grothmann visited UND this past weekend, and presumably either already has or soon will visit NDSU. Any word on other college visits by 9-man players?

Already visited NDSU and holds an offer from them
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PlayHard-KHCO » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Its on the NDSU media blog- Grothmann verbal commitment to the Bison at fullback.
"The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer."
John Madden
PlayHard-KHCO
NDPreps Starter

Postby Beston51 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 pm

PlayHard-KHCO wrote:Its on the NDSU media blog- Grothmann verbal commitment to the Bison at fullback.

that's good for Grothmann he's a very talented ball player.
Beston51
NDPreps Starter

Postby tommykramer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:20 am

Caleb Nelson from Sargeant Central has been on NDSU's radar, I don't know if they are offering him anything, but considering that he played on a terrible team, this is excellent work by the NDSU coaching staff for finding a diamond in the rough. If your not familiar with this beast - he is 6'4" 260 - and was SC best athlete, super fast for a kid his size and very strong. Teams literally ran away from his side of the field. Also, played runningback for the Cadets due to his ablity.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 pm

tommykramer wrote:Caleb Nelson from Sargeant Central has been on NDSU's radar, I don't know if they are offering him anything, but considering that he played on a terrible team, this is excellent work by the NDSU coaching staff for finding a diamond in the rough. If your not familiar with this beast - he is 6'4" 260 - and was SC best athlete, super fast for a kid his size and very strong. Teams literally ran away from his side of the field. Also, played runningback for the Cadets due to his ablity.

I heard other D1 schools were looking, but haven't heard who.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby flatlander » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:12 am

I heard that NDSU coaches went to check out Caleb Nelson's basketball practice just recently so there is definitely interest there. Problem is that NDSU looks to be fully loaded (and then some) on the defensive line. He sounds like a perfect pulling guard/center though especially if he has a mean streak.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby jtdc492 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Caleb Nelson sounds like the 2nd coming of Phil Hansen to me. Similar size and Caleb had enough speed to play running back, so maybe defensive end might be his fit.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm

He was not as dominant in high school as Phil was but what NDSU see's is potential. He has a big enough frame to add both weight and muscle, and he has shown that he's a pretty good athlete. I am guessing a red-shirt and a couple years of work before he'd see the field at NDSU. He does have great potential, and that is why I'm betting NDSU has taken a look at him.

Quick question for the gallery. If NDSU is looking at Caleb, why have I not heard anything about him getting looked at by UND? Is NDSU that much better at finding ND kids? Are they tied in better with coaches in the region? If they are, that would seem to be a bit of a change - it seemed like in the past UND had better luck with the ND kids.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:28 pm

tommykramer wrote:He was not as dominant in high school as Phil was but what NDSU see's is potential. He has a big enough frame to add both weight and muscle, and he has shown that he's a pretty good athlete. I am guessing a red-shirt and a couple years of work before he'd see the field at NDSU. He does have great potential, and that is why I'm betting NDSU has taken a look at him.

Quick question for the gallery. If NDSU is looking at Caleb, why have I not heard anything about him getting looked at by UND? Is NDSU that much better at finding ND kids? Are they tied in better with coaches in the region? If they are, that would seem to be a bit of a change - it seemed like in the past UND had better luck with the ND kids.

I talked with Bohl prior to the start of the season and he feels that NDSU needs to move more in that direction, but they have missed out on some talented players in the past and they are getting good quality ones now.... he added that any time the Bison can pick a kid from in state, they're all for it...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby timer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:36 am

flatlander wrote:I heard that NDSU coaches went to check out Caleb Nelson's basketball practice just recently so there is definitely interest there. Problem is that NDSU looks to be fully loaded (and then some) on the defensive line. He sounds like a perfect pulling guard/center though especially if he has a mean streak.

no one was ever looking at caleb at his basketball practice besides his local paper.
timer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 8's » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 am

So does anyone know if Tyler Roehl is a junior or a senior this year
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am

8's wrote:So does anyone know if Tyler Roehl is a junior or a senior this year

Hes a senior
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND9296 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 pm

I believe Caleb Nelson visited UND this past weekend.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:00 pm

I heard he attended a Moorhead St. luncheon too. From one of the coaches.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby homer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 am

I heard erbes and bachman from richland signed with Jamestown
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby UND9296 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:08 am

Caleb Nelson signed with UND.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigrigg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:34 pm

where is lommen from williams county going to
bigrigg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MVP510 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Does anyone know how much more colleges/recruiters look at players playing 11 man football compared to 9 man? Does it make much of a difference or do recruiters not even worry about where they play, if a kids good they will be looking at them?
MVP510
NDPreps Starter

Postby nordstde » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:44 am

MVP 510, come on dude. Change your picture. That just isn't right. The day Brett Favre goes to the Vikings is the day I quit watching the NFL.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby homer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 am

MVP510 wrote:Does anyone know how much more colleges/recruiters look at players playing 11 man football compared to 9 man? Does it make much of a difference or do recruiters not even worry about where they play, if a kids good they will be looking at them?

The college level coaches know talent when they see it.there isnt any emphasis on whether or not you played 9 man or not.
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby old lineman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:44 pm

On a trip with my son to Valley I asked the question to 3 or 4 young men that had played college football for ValleyCity and the things that they mentioned were the speed of the game, more people so the field felt smaller and the best answer was (from a kid From Edgley) football is still just football. I our visits we were really impressed with both V C and Jamestown. Both of those schools feel there is a place for a nine man player. There is other schools that feel the same way.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MVP510 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:57 pm

old lineman wrote:On a trip with my son to Valley I asked the question to 3 or 4 young men that had played college football for ValleyCity and the things that they mentioned were the speed of the game, more people so the field felt smaller and the best answer was (from a kid From Edgley) football is still just football. I our visits we were really impressed with both V C and Jamestown. Both of those schools feel there is a place for a nine man player. There is other schools that feel the same way.

But do all schools feel that way or just the smaller schools like VC and Jamestown? I agree that a lot of positions are very easily converted from 9-man to 11-man, but what do you think about quarterback? Do you think that colleges are more likely to look at 11-man quarterbacks compared to 9-man quarterbacks just because they play 11-man football?
MVP510
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan7 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:37 pm

MVP510 wrote:
old lineman wrote:On a trip with my son to Valley I asked the question to 3 or 4 young men that had played college football for ValleyCity and the things that they mentioned were the speed of the game, more people so the field felt smaller and the best answer was (from a kid From Edgley) football is still just football. I our visits we were really impressed with both V C and Jamestown. Both of those schools feel there is a place for a nine man player. There is other schools that feel the same way.

But do all schools feel that way or just the smaller schools like VC and Jamestown? I agree that a lot of positions are very easily converted from 9-man to 11-man, but what do you think about quarterback? Do you think that colleges are more likely to look at 11-man quarterbacks compared to 9-man quarterbacks just because they play 11-man football?

I think that to a certain extent larger schools inside ND like NDSU and UND look at that, just because it is a big adjustment to go from 9 man QB in high school and pick up the 11 man game in college. But like someone said earlier coaches know talent when they see it.

On a side note, does anyone know when the last time someone QBd for NDSU or UND coming from 9 man school? Because i have no idea.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MVP510 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:01 am

bballfan7 wrote:
MVP510 wrote:

I think that to a certain extent larger schools inside ND like NDSU and UND look at that, just because it is a big adjustment to go from 9 man QB in high school and pick up the 11 man game in college. But like someone said earlier coaches know talent when they see it.

On a side note, does anyone know when the last time someone QBd for NDSU or UND coming from 9 man school? Because i have no idea.

Seth Nichols...Pretty sure he went to UND
MVP510
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to 9 - Man