Williams County at St. John

The teams in 9 Man

Re: Williams County at St. John

Postby cubsfan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:55 pm

ninemanfbfan5 wrote:Thank you theoldman. I was at that game on saturday and st.john was getting it handed to them for the whole first half but they stayed composed and prevalied over all adversity even the adversity that they brought on themselves. St.John runs a triple option so they do get a lot of yards inside. Now I dont think that any team is going to run away with this game but i can gurantee that these st.john kids are going to come out like none other. This is the farthest st.john has ever been and the last time they went to state in any team sport was in '76 in girls basketball. The town is crazy about this opportunity the crowd that they bring in is just crazy, its not only st john but its also all the surronding towns like belcourt, rolla, dunseith, rollete, bottineau. I know that a lot of peeps say that there isnt a true homefield advantage in highschool football but when you got close to 900 hundred peeps on one side it has to come into affect. I wish the best of luck to both teams but im going to have to take them hardnosed kids from st.john in a close battle. Make that town proud boys.

I can almost guarantee that St. Johns is very proud of them already.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bear » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:11 pm

I have not seen St. John play this year, but i have seen williams county play twice, once against a not so good TGU team and then last saturday i drove down to the Cental Mclean game. From what i saw wc has more than one offensive threat. They have 2-3 other offensive threats that are very fast and strong. The whole team looked determined to win. There defense looked tough with great linbackers and d lineman that not only flow to the ball well, but also know how to finish the play. WC brought a solid crowd which i expect will only grow this week at StJ. From what i've heard i believe the woodchucks are also a tough team. two teams with alot of similarities. i think it will be one whale of a football game!!!!
I'm a wc fan in this one.
WC 21 STJ 16
bear
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoopsfan21 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:33 pm

I have had a chance to see both teams play and I think this is going to be a slugfest. SJ has alot of offensive weapons to try to contain. The QB does a nice job running the option and making good reads. On WC side, they also have alot of weapons and can strike from a variety of ways. Overall I would have to say SJ offense is maybe a tad more potent, but WC defense is better then SJ's. This one is going to come down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes. (penalties, fumbles, picks, missed tackles)
hoopsfan21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportShots » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:46 pm

I don't know who will win and have not seen Williams County play. I observe through a lens most of the game working for good photos.
I watched St. John stop two plays from six inches out with time running out. 17 seconds left on the first of the two and 6 seconds on the second. Time ran out then but a penalty was called and Richardton-Tayloe-Hebron had another chance from five yards back with no time on the clock. St. Johns kept them from scoring.

Smart football or not to try for a safety with the game winding down, St. Johns defensive unit came to play and three times stopped a team working hard for a touchdown.

I look forward to a good game. Am a bit South of Rolette and we have 6-8 inches of new snow, 20-40mph winds and the weather guys say more is coming tomorrow.

Should be a good game in snow and chill on Saturday.

I hope for the same thing I always hope for: a good game with no injuries and some plays happening in front of my lens. Shooting for newspapers I don't root openly for anyone and the private leanings stay just that way..., private. I work for the best photos I can and congratulate the competitors on both sides as they are the show. They do the work and they deserve all the success they earn. The coaches do a good job and work hard for the kids. The fans support their team and no matter what happens most stand behind their kids as I believe they should.

Good luck to both teams.
SportShots

Postby toddjames » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Great game, defensive battle, dog fight to the end... Williams passes in 10 degree weather in the snow, St. John nearly ties it up after getting the ball with 22 seconds on their 30-yard line... right down to the last play in a winter wonderland... congrats to Williams, good luck at the Dakota Bowl... congrats on the season Woodhucks, went down fighting and still a tremendous season once again...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SportShots » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:45 pm

This was a good game to photograph. Good play, no one quit or gave up and once again it came down to the final play in the end zone.

My photos of the game are up at http://www.SportShots.org for anyone to see.

Good luck to Williams County at State. They played hard in St. John in temps from 17-22 with some breezes making windchill a bit cooler.
SportShots

Previous

Return to 9 - Man