Co-op towns

The teams in 9 Man

Re: Co-op towns

Postby Hinsa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Toddjames - I get what you are trying to say about co-ops vs. "solo" schools. I agree with you.

I'll use the 200 kids example. In a school of 40 kids, just about every kid in school is participating in everything all the way through grade school. With 40 kids, everyone has to participate to keep all the school organizations going, plus they get more participation time - less kids = more "reps" if you will and more personal attention from the school staff. Therefore, you get a larger percentage of kids from the 40 student school that excel at sports, music, school paper, academics, whatever it might be.

In the 200 student school, you will have a larger percentage of students that sit on the sidelines and let the more gifted ones do the participating. Therefore your pool of involved kids is smaller in the 200 student school.

So in summary, in the co-op of the five smaller schools you will end up with a larger combined number of kids that excel. In the 200 person school you will have a smaller total number of kids that excel.

Does that make sense to anyone? It's OK, you can call me nuts if you want!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Makes complete sense to me. That's probably the best and most understandable argument in this topic.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:58 pm

Hinsa wrote:Toddjames - I get what you are trying to say about co-ops vs. "solo" schools. I agree with you.

I'll use the 200 kids example. In a school of 40 kids, just about every kid in school is participating in everything all the way through grade school. With 40 kids, everyone has to participate to keep all the school organizations going, plus they get more participation time - less kids = more "reps" if you will and more personal attention from the school staff. Therefore, you get a larger percentage of kids from the 40 student school that excel at sports, music, school paper, academics, whatever it might be.

In the 200 student school, you will have a larger percentage of students that sit on the sidelines and let the more gifted ones do the participating. Therefore your pool of involved kids is smaller in the 200 student school.

So in summary, in the co-op of the five smaller schools you will end up with a larger combined number of kids that excel. In the 200 person school you will have a smaller total number of kids that excel.

Does that make sense to anyone? It's OK, you can call me nuts if you want!

Exactly, thanks for getting what I was trying to say.
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:40 am

old lineman wrote:Grid iron guru you have failed me in announcing the winner of the co-op challenge, or are you awaitng a bigger stage?

Co-op or consolidation? I don't know but next years coop of Barnes county North and Griggs co. central/Midkota
is a biggy.

Dazey
Rogers
Leal
Wimbledon
Courtney
Walum
Hannaford
Sutton
Glenfield
Mchenry
Grace City
Juanita
Brantford
Jesse
Cooperstown
Eckelson
Urbana
Spiritwood
Sibly
Sanborn

Theres my winner
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:07 pm

Is Luverne in there too?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Hinsa wrote:Is Luverne in there too?