All-State Players

The teams in 9 Man

Re: All-State Players

Postby justbrowsing » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 am

tommykramer wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:
tommykramer wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:
tommykramer wrote:Its a joke that Bessette from Richland got only 2nd team!

TK - I know you're biased since you see Bessette every day, but out of curiousity, who do you think Bessette is better than that would put him on the 1st team as a linebacker? Grothmann, McCleary, Wisthoff, or Grosz?

154 tackles, 15 sacks in a very tough top to bottom region, where the main focus of the offense was to get him blocked. His best games were against the best teams, not in blowouts. He also was one of the key defensive players on Richland's state championship team and has already been all-state twice at LB. The three on the list you mentioned that I have seen play were also very good linebackers, I can't comment on Wisthoff since I did not see him play. Another LB I could see as all-state was Brodell from DP - he made it as a WR - but, he made an awful lot of plays for an undersized LB. But, I will stand by my statement - He definately deserved and earned 1st team all-state.

You didn't answer my question. If it's a joke that he wasn't first team, who should he have replaced? Wisthoff because you didn't see him play? That was my point. There are probably at least 10 guys in the state who could have an argument for 1st team based on stats or effectiveness, but you said it was a joke that he was a second teamer. So I ask again, who do you think was the joke on the 1st team that should have been replaced with Besette - Grothmann, McLeary, Wisthoff, or Grosz?

AAA has 6 linebackers and two lineman on the first team! If you are one of the top 5 defensive players in the state which Bessette is, you should be on first team all-state. Some of the guys on 1st team all-state defense were better offensive players than they were defensive. If all-state defense is what it should be - the best defensive players in the state, than Bessette deserved to be on the list. If its best all-around players that we couldn't find room on the first team all-state offense for, than he probably doesn't.

OK - I like that line of reasoning; I understand that (although I don't think I'd say Bessette is one of the five best defenders in the state - top ten? absolutely; top five? mmmmmmmm). So, as a coach whose seen many of these guys play live or on film, who do you take off the 1st team to make room for Bessette? Parisien, Puetz, Urvand, Kolke, or Dhuyvetter?
justbrowsing

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 pm

justbrowsing wrote:
tommykramer wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:
tommykramer wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:
tommykramer wrote:Its a joke that Bessette from Richland got only 2nd team!

TK - I know you're biased since you see Bessette every day, but out of curiousity, who do you think Bessette is better than that would put him on the 1st team as a linebacker? Grothmann, McCleary, Wisthoff, or Grosz?

154 tackles, 15 sacks in a very tough top to bottom region, where the main focus of the offense was to get him blocked. His best games were against the best teams, not in blowouts. He also was one of the key defensive players on Richland's state championship team and has already been all-state twice at LB. The three on the list you mentioned that I have seen play were also very good linebackers, I can't comment on Wisthoff since I did not see him play. Another LB I could see as all-state was Brodell from DP - he made it as a WR - but, he made an awful lot of plays for an undersized LB. But, I will stand by my statement - He definately deserved and earned 1st team all-state.

You didn't answer my question. If it's a joke that he wasn't first team, who should he have replaced? Wisthoff because you didn't see him play? That was my point. There are probably at least 10 guys in the state who could have an argument for 1st team based on stats or effectiveness, but you said it was a joke that he was a second teamer. So I ask again, who do you think was the joke on the 1st team that should have been replaced with Besette - Grothmann, McLeary, Wisthoff, or Grosz?

AAA has 6 linebackers and two lineman on the first team! If you are one of the top 5 defensive players in the state which Bessette is, you should be on first team all-state. Some of the guys on 1st team all-state defense were better offensive players than they were defensive. If all-state defense is what it should be - the best defensive players in the state, than Bessette deserved to be on the list. If its best all-around players that we couldn't find room on the first team all-state offense for, than he probably doesn't.

OK - I like that line of reasoning; I understand that (although I don't think I'd say Bessette is one of the five best defenders in the state - top ten? absolutely; top five? mmmmmmmm). So, as a coach whose seen many of these guys play live or on film, who do you take off the 1st team to make room for Bessette? Parisien, Puetz, Urvand, Kolke, or Dhuyvetter?

i'd say puetz, ya he EXtREMELY deserved to be allstate, but that was at quarterback. he wasnt really a game changing defensive player and i know nichols and carpetner are very good as well. i'd just say besette is better at D. but it'd be hard to move him on there over puetz, when puetz was senior of the year over besette
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby toddjames » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:03 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Here is the breakdown of all-state athletes by region and teams....

Reg 1 - 3 1st team and 4 2nd team = 7 total
Reg 2 - 4 1st team and 4 2nd team = 8 total
Reg 3 - 5 1st team and 5 2nd team = 10 total
Reg 4 - 2 1st team and 1 2nd team = 3 total
Reg 5 - 3 1st team and 3 2nd team = 6 total
Reg 6 - 4 1st team and 5 2nd team = 9 total

Mott Regent - 5 all state (3 1st, 2 2nd)
Napolean - 4 all state (3 1st, 1 2nd)
Dak Prairie - 4 all state (2 1st, 2 2nd)
Divide Co - 4 all state (2 1st, 2 2nd)
North Border - 3 all state (2 1st, 1 2nd)
Lakota - 3 all state (1 1st, 2 2nd)
Hillsboro - 2 all state (both 1st)
Wynd/Lidg - 2 all state (1 of each)
St John - 2 all state (1 of each)
Hankinson - 2 all state (1 of each)
Cent McClean - 2 all state (1 of each)
Ed/Kulm - 2 all state (both 2nd)
NCB and Glenburn each had 1 1st team
Rich/Tay, Richland, Hettinger, FSHP, Williams Co, and Oakes each had 1 2nd team.

doesnt seem right that w/l and hankinson have 2 each, hankinson didnt even make the playoffs and they get the same amount as hillsboro? FSHP finished number 2 in the region and they only get 1? just seems a little unfair.

I know, that's weak... St. John got the shaft as well, they had the best season in the history of the school, going undefeated in the regular season, completely dominated their first round playoff game and lost to only the eventual state champion Mott-Regent and they only got one first teamer and one second teamer... that's weak, but they got very little respect during the year and it carried on into the playoffs and on it goes I guess
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to 9 - Man