Napolean v Dakota Prairie

The teams in 9 Man

Napolean v Dakota Prairie

Postby tommykramer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:06 pm

The last team to beat Napolean was Richland, who ran the spread. I don't believe that Napolean has seen the spread ran effectively since then. That being said, I don't think DP can stop Napolean's ground game, so this game is probably going to come down to if the Imperials can stop DP's offense. Should be worth the price of admission!
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Re: Napolean v Dakota Prairie

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Agreed. DP's heard all week they couldn't stop Edgeley-Kulm's rushing attack and they did. Held them to under 100 yards. I know that Napolean's is better because Napolean beat E-K. It should be interesting to see how Napolean matches up with DP's spread. I remember watching Richland spread Napolean out and have a lot of success on them. Napolean was much bigger and more physical than that Richland team, but the spread took that away. I think Richland's quarterback then (Erbes) and Dakota Prairie's qaurterback now (Nichols) are very similar. Nichols might have a bigger arm and Erbes might be a little more faster. But still said, they are very similar.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:Agreed. DP's heard all week they couldn't stop Edgeley-Kulm's rushing attack and they did. Held them to under 100 yards. I know that Napolean's is better because Napolean beat E-K. It should be interesting to see how Napolean matches up with DP's spread. I remember watching Richland spread Napolean out and have a lot of success on them. Napolean was much bigger and more physical than that Richland team, but the spread took that away. I think Richland's quarterback then (Erbes) and Dakota Prairie's qaurterback now (Nichols) are very similar. Nichols might have a bigger arm and Erbes might be a little more faster. But still said, they are very similar.

Another factor will be if DP can get a couple stops and get a couple scores like Richland did, Napolean can throw but its much more effective if the Defense doesn't know that its coming.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:23 pm

DP is precisely the kind of time that could give Napoleon trouble. The spread negates Napoleon's strength advantage.

No one is going to win a smash-mouth game with Napoleon. Hillsboro tried and couldn't keep up. But the spread - if Nichols is hot DP will be able to keep up with Napoleon.

But DP better score every time they have the ball, because they WILL NOT stop Napoleon's ground game. DP will have to guard agains't getting worn down from absorbing hits from Napoleon's running backs.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:23 pm

So would you say that Napolean and E-K were very similar teams?? Big up front, and good tailbacks. The difference between the two teams are that McCleary and Gross are a lot better then E-K's backs?? I am sure that McCleary is an animal on defense and offesne, the only oppurtunity I got to see him play was when he was a sophmore, and then he didn't play in last year's state championship.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:41 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:So would you say that Napolean and E-K were very similar teams?? Big up front, and good tailbacks. The difference between the two teams are that McCleary and Gross are a lot better then E-K's backs?? I am sure that McCleary is an animal on defense and offesne, the only oppurtunity I got to see him play was when he was a sophmore, and then he didn't play in last year's state championship.

I didn't see EK play, but I have to assume the difference between EK and Napoleon is that Napoleon is physically stronger. McCleary's arms are bigger than most guy's legs. And when they go to their "heavy" backfield with Laber at fullback and McCleary at tailback - ugh, get out of the way 'cause a freight train is comin' through! Gross accelerates to full speed by the time he hits the line and he deliver the blow to the tackler, not the other way around.

Their quarterback throws a nice ball - very catchable - and he can wing it 40 yards when he has to. So they pound you into submission for a while and then all of a sudden they throw it when you are asleep.

I really thought Napoleon was not as strong as last year, but I am convince otherwise after watching them wear down Hillsboro. Hillsboro has owned the 4th quarter all year, but not against Napoleon. The 4th quarter was 24-6 for Napoleon. That says a lot about their conditioning.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby dogg » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Where is this game being played? & time?
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WillyWonka » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:15 pm

tommykramer wrote:The last team to beat Napolean was Richland, who ran the spread. I don't believe that Napolean has seen the spread ran effectively since then. That being said, I don't think DP can stop Napolean's ground game, so this game is probably going to come down to if the Imperials can stop DP's offense. Should be worth the price of admission!

Ya im going to have to go with Dp in this one they have been the underdogs in every game and won and they run the spread very well and there defense has started to play alot better so im going to say Dp 16-12
WillyWonka

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:23 pm

WillyWonka wrote:
tommykramer wrote:The last team to beat Napolean was Richland, who ran the spread. I don't believe that Napolean has seen the spread ran effectively since then. That being said, I don't think DP can stop Napolean's ground game, so this game is probably going to come down to if the Imperials can stop DP's offense. Should be worth the price of admission!

Ya im going to have to go with Dp in this one they have been the underdogs in every game and won and they run the spread very well and there defense has started to play alot better so im going to say Dp 16-12

No way in God's green earth that DP holds Napoleon to 12 points. DP will have to outscore Napoleon. Napoleon will score 40. DP had better hope they can keep up with their spread.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby WillyWonka » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:30 pm

scc wrote:I'll pick DP by a TD, with the score in the 40s.

o ya my bad ill take Dp 48 to 46
WillyWonka

Postby G » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:58 pm

i read in the paper that nichols said nb hit hard...if he cant handle nbs hits hes definately not going to be able to take nopoleans hits...and if he tries to jump mcleary id watch out cuz he'll come down without legs...seversons going to have to learn to block pretty soon cuz if he doesnt get in front of mcleary and mcleary gets a free shot at nichols i dont think he'll be able to take it...and then there goes dps offense...i gotta go with nopolean in this one...i dont think they will dominate dp but they will stop them enough times to win...n44 dp36
G
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:13 pm

G wrote:i read in the paper that nichols said nb hit hard...if he cant handle nbs hits hes definately not going to be able to take nopoleans hits...and if he tries to jump mcleary id watch out cuz he'll come down without legs...seversons going to have to learn to block pretty soon cuz if he doesnt get in front of mcleary and mcleary gets a free shot at nichols i dont think he'll be able to take it...and then there goes dps offense...i gotta go with nopolean in this one...i dont think they will dominate dp but they will stop them enough times to win...n44 dp36

Nichols carried the ball 32 times against North Border, he hurdled a guy while trying to gain a first down later in the game, I think that stung a little and it did send him out of the game for a play and did slow him down after that hit.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby t1m » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Hinsa wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:So would you say that Napolean and E-K were very similar teams?? Big up front, and good tailbacks. The difference between the two teams are that McCleary and Gross are a lot better then E-K's backs?? I am sure that McCleary is an animal on defense and offesne, the only oppurtunity I got to see him play was when he was a sophmore, and then he didn't play in last year's state championship.

I didn't see EK play, but I have to assume the difference between EK and Napoleon is that Napoleon is physically stronger. McCleary's arms are bigger than most guy's legs. And when they go to their "heavy" backfield with Laber at fullback and McCleary at tailback - ugh, get out of the way 'cause a freight train is comin' through! Gross accelerates to full speed by the time he hits the line and he deliver the blow to the tackler, not the other way around.

Their quarterback throws a nice ball - very catchable - and he can wing it 40 yards when he has to. So they pound you into submission for a while and then all of a sudden they throw it when you are asleep.

I really thought Napoleon was not as strong as last year, but I am convince otherwise after watching them wear down Hillsboro. Hillsboro has owned the 4th quarter all year, but not against Napoleon. The 4th quarter was 24-6 for Napoleon. That says a lot about their conditioning.

Napoleon is definately a very good football team but i still dont think that they are quite as good as last years team. Last year, when we (Lakota) played them in the semifinals, they dominated us in every aspect of the game. We only scored two touchdowns the whole game, one was off of a trick kickoff return throwback. And on, the other we only had to go 20 yards after an interception. Should be a very good game this weekend though.
t1m
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hithardalltime » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 pm

I think dp wil surprise everyone on the defensive side of the ball. They've stepped up from the beginning of the playoffs, to now. Yes, they did give up 51 points to nb, but those spread teams are tough to defend, and nb runs it well just like dp does. I would say both teams have there hands full on the defensive side of the ball, but all dp has to do is hold on to the football, n score more points them! dp wins by small margine!
hithardalltime

Postby Mooseman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:46 am

One key factor in this game is going to be the weather. Most good teams in the late rounds of the playoffs have good running games. Everyone knows that weather in North Dakota in November is unpredictable. If its cold and windy i dont see DP offense ever get going. They wont be able to throw the ball effectively and Napolean is to tough and to physical up front to run against. But if its a somewhat decent day thier hasnt been a team hold DP under 30 points all year and i can't Imagine Napolean to do it either. If its nice I would say close game with DP coming out on top 46-44. If its a typical November day in North Dakota, I got Napolean running away with it 40-20.
Mooseman

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:20 pm

Mooseman wrote:One key factor in this game is going to be the weather. Most good teams in the late rounds of the playoffs have good running games. Everyone knows that weather in North Dakota in November is unpredictable. If its cold and windy i dont see DP offense ever get going. They wont be able to throw the ball effectively and Napolean is to tough and to physical up front to run against. But if its a somewhat decent day thier hasnt been a team hold DP under 30 points all year and i can't Imagine Napolean to do it either. If its nice I would say close game with DP coming out on top 46-44. If its a typical November day in North Dakota, I got Napolean running away with it 40-20.

I agree 100% the weather is a key factor for spread teams which is one of the reasons I hate the spread but that is a whole different topic.

I does not look like the weather will be a factor for Saturday, the forcast for Napoleon, N.D. on Nov. 3rd is partly cloudy, high of 49 and a NW wind at 13.

Not enough to be a factor.

The thing that kills the spread offense is to make them one dimensional, yes they can run and yes they can pass and yes the qb is a threat to run or pass but if you make a spread team have to pass or have to run it makes for a long day.

The thing with Dakota Prairie this year is that they have the right personell to run the spread, the big tall athletic QB a speedy Back and a bunch of receivers who can catch the ball. and the line to make it all work.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby toughregion2 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:29 pm

hithardalltime wrote:I think dp wil surprise everyone on the defensive side of the ball. They've stepped up from the beginning of the playoffs, to now. Yes, they did give up 51 points to nb, but those spread teams are tough to defend, and nb runs it well just like dp does. I would say both teams have there hands full on the defensive side of the ball, but all dp has to do is hold on to the football, n score more points them! dp wins by small margine!

Is this the same guy that said their defense will come up big against North Border. 51 points is not coming up big. North Borders mistake was not pounding the ball. They pounded the ball with taylor the first drive of the game and then quit. Napoleon will pound the ball and keep it out of of the offenses hands.

Nap 37
DP 20
toughregion2

Postby tommykramer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:41 pm

Mooseman wrote:One key factor in this game is going to be the weather. Most good teams in the late rounds of the playoffs have good running games. Everyone knows that weather in North Dakota in November is unpredictable. If its cold and windy i dont see DP offense ever get going. They wont be able to throw the ball effectively and Napolean is to tough and to physical up front to run against. But if its a somewhat decent day thier hasnt been a team hold DP under 30 points all year and i can't Imagine Napolean to do it either. If its nice I would say close game with DP coming out on top 46-44. If its a typical November day in North Dakota, I got Napolean running away with it 40-20.

The last game Napolean lost was to Richland, the weather that day was terrible, sleet, some snow, some freezing rain, rain, and a very strong North wind. Richland threw against Napolean regardless of which way they were going. If DP is going to be successful they absolutely HAVE to be able to throw the ball regardless of conditions. If they don't throw into the wind then it will become a two quarter game for DP, and a 4 quarter game for Napolean, which doesn't bode well for DP.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby WillyWonka » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:02 pm

tommykramer wrote:

The last game Napolean lost was to Richland, the weather that day was terrible, sleet, some snow, some freezing rain, rain, and a very strong North wind. Richland threw against Napolean regardless of which way they were going. If DP is going to be successful they absolutely HAVE to be able to throw the ball regardless of conditions. If they don't throw into the wind then it will become a two quarter game for DP, and a 4 quarter game for Napolean, which doesn't bode well for DP.

If it is nice out i think that Dp will come out on top 48 to 40 it will be a fun game to watch and i think Dp defense has something to say because people think they can stop the run and i think they will and i can see dp offense keeping the ball out of napoleans hands and dp throwing the ball well even if it is rainy or snowing out i dont think it will bother dp and they defintaly has something to prove
WillyWonka

Postby ifoughtpiranhas » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:04 pm

hahaha....

I am assuming Nichols was being nice to the NB Eagles. I read the article - I don't remember him saying he couldn't handle NBs hits.....he ran the ball over 32 times - he's bound to be a little sore.

G wrote:i read in the paper that nichols said nb hit hard...if he cant handle nbs hits hes definately not going to be able to take nopoleans hits...and if he tries to jump mcleary id watch out cuz he'll come down without legs...seversons going to have to learn to block pretty soon cuz if he doesnt get in front of mcleary and mcleary gets a free shot at nichols i dont think he'll be able to take it...and then there goes dps offense...i gotta go with nopolean in this one...i dont think they will dominate dp but they will stop them enough times to win...n44 dp36
ifoughtpiranhas

Postby Hinsa » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:40 pm

WillyWonka wrote:
tommykramer wrote:

If it is nice out i think that Dp will come out on top 48 to 40 it will be a fun game to watch and i think Dp defense has something to say because people think they can stop the run and i think they will and i can see dp offense keeping the ball out of napoleans hands and dp throwing the ball well even if it is rainy or snowing out i dont think it will bother dp and they defintaly has something to prove

You really think DP can stop Napoleon's running game? :shock:

LOL. ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing)

You are entitled to your opinion. But really, you haven't seen Napoleon, have you.

Napoleon dominated Hillsboro who dominated Lakota who ran all over and around DP. Lakota didn't beat DP but they DID run circles around the DP defense.

Ain't no way DP stops Napoleon's ground machine.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:57 pm

Hinsa wrote:
WillyWonka wrote:
tommykramer wrote:

You really think DP can stop Napoleon's running game? :shock:

LOL. ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing)

You are entitled to your opinion. But really, you haven't seen Napoleon, have you.

Napoleon dominated Hillsboro who dominated Lakota who ran all over and around DP. Lakota didn't beat DP but they DID run circles around the DP defense.

Ain't no way DP stops Napoleon's ground machine.

Didn't Johanson run for 150 yards on 20 carries against Hillsboro?? I know the score was 35-6, but in my opinion gaining 150 yards on a defense is pretty successful. I know Hillsboro won!!! But still.

I just think that E-K was supposed to be so unstoppable on the ground, they came in averaging 300 yards plus on the ground. They ran for 200 yards against Napolean, were beating them 16-14 at the end of the third quarter. They came to DP, and left rushing under 100 yards.

I am not saying that DP is going to shutdown Napolean totally, under 100 yards or anything. I am saying that their run defense has improved since they played Lakota, 4th game of season may I add. I know Richland had success running on them, but I feel that DP has made their switches, fixed the kinks, and has confidence in their run defense.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:09 pm

Napoleon gets 300+ on the ground against DP.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:11 pm

Hinsa wrote:Napoleon gets 300+ on the ground against DP.

So I was right about Johannson running for 150 yards against Hillsboro??

How much yards did Napolean run for on Hillsboro??
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wombat » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Gross had 153 on 20 carries and McCleary added 77 yds on 12 carries.

It was the 9th straight game Gross had over 100 yds.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to 9 - Man