Thompson at FSHP

The teams in 9 Man

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

these teams played the first game of the season adn fshp snuck by only 20-12 you guys see an upset? cause i hear thompsons gotten quite better. or am i wrong? whats your guys thoughts?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:54 am

i've heard thompson had the ability to play better than their record has shown but was just seeming to lack something early on in the season. i'll be curious to see if they have turned it around.

fshp's offense seems to just not stop and they have the ability to put up huge points and to also score at critical times in closer games. i don't know too much about their defense, though?

looks like a good one, especially if their early-season score is any indication of how closely they are matched.
rep

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:02 pm

I see 2 outcomes - FSHP 36, Thompson 12, or Thompson 22, FSHP 20. If FSHP gets up early, outcome #1. If Thompson scores early, Thompson wins a thriller.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby dogg » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:08 pm

FSHP needs to get their________together, if they want to continue in the playoffs. It wasn't a pretty game against Northern Cass, but they were able to pull it out at the end. We'll see what kind of team shows up Tuesday night!
Does anyone know if this game is on the radio, and which station?
Last edited by dogg on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justbrowsing » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:07 pm

fshp will be just fine.  last friday was a game that didn't affect the standings against an old rival made new - would have been much easier for nc to get excited about the game than fshp. 
justbrowsing

Postby KennyG » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:26 pm

justbrowsing wrote:fshp will be just fine.  last friday was a game that didn't affect the standings against an old rival made new - would have been much easier for nc to get excited about the game than fshp. 

That is a pretty poor excuse
KennyG

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:41 pm

ya its not a good excuse.....but they seem to know how to win when it counts at the end of the game thiss year
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lloyd christmas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 am

as much as i hate to say it....i'll take thompson in an upset
lloyd christmas

Postby Region 2 fan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Cooley 12 yard touchdown run to put Thompson up in late first quarter   6-0
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:45 pm

F-S-H-P wins 38-34
Photo-man-Bob

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Thompson took the lead 34-30 with 3:53 remaining, but the ensuing pooch kick was returned to the 25-yard line by second level man Jordan Satrom.

After four running plays and one first down, QB John Thorson hits end Dillan Ostom for a touchdown with 41 seconds remaining. Thorson ran in on a fake extra point for the two points to put FSHP up 38-34.

Thompson's last drive was this: 1st &10 - Six-yard run by Mavrik Peterson
2nd & 4 - play-action pass to Peterson broken up by FSHP corner Zak Bergstrom. It actually looked like Peterson caught the ball in the air, but couldnt maintain control as he went to the ground and was hit by Bergstrom.
3rd & 4 - a halfback pass attempt again to Peterson and again broken up by Bergstrom.
4th & 4 - Thompson had a guy in the flat but the pass sailed and FSHP took over on downs to run the clock out.
Last edited by Photo-man-Bob on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Photo-man-Bob wrote:Thompson took the lead 34-30 with 3:53 remaining, but the ensuing pooch kick was returned to the 25-yard line by second level man Jordan Satrom.

After four running plays and one first down, QB John Thorson hits end Dillan Ostom for a touchdown with 41 seconds remaining. Thorson ran in on a fake extra point for the two points to put FSHP up 38-34.

Thompson's last drive was this: 1st &10 - Six-yard run by Mavrik Peterson
2nd & 4 - play-action pass to Peterson broken up by FSHP corner Zak Bergstrom. It actually looked like Peterson caught the ball in the air, but couldnt maintain control as he went to the ground and was hit by Bergstrom.
3rd & 4 - a halfback pass attempt again to Peterson and again broken up by Bergstrom.
4th & 4 - Thompson had a guy in the flat but the pass sailed and FSHP took over on downs to run the clock out.
Yeah that's a good recap of the game except on the 3rd & 4 play it was blatant pass interference that wasn't called.  I was at the game and two fans of FSHP that I was with both agreed it was pass interference.  It also look like peterson caught the ball but in the midst of all the fog on the field it was quite hard to tell.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassB-bballfan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:21 pm

I think you are right it was pass interference but it seems like FSHP has won a lot of their close games on luck and they don't really earn some of their late season games.  They are lucky and soon their luck will run out I think. There are some talented teams they are up against now and they will fall short...real short from here on out IMO
ClassB-bballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the mask » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:31 pm

fshp got by with a small margin victory its some luck and some good football but thompson was in great pos. to win taht game with 5 min. left fshp turned over on downs and then thompson went down and scored give the ball back to fshp with three min. left and took it from there......there was a pass interferance at the end there it was a badly missed call....napoleon this saturday any thoughts on how either team will do???? most are thinkin napoleon  will win but does fshp stand any chance if they play their A game
you don't have to win championships to be considered a good team
the mask
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:28 pm

ClassB-bballfan wrote:I think you are right it was pass interference but it seems like FSHP has won a lot of their close games on luck and they don't really earn some of their late season games.  They are lucky and soon their luck will run out I think. There are some talented teams they are up against now and they will fall short...real short from here on out IMO

i've noticed alot of your posts are against fshp....all their games are not won on luck, a team does not go 7-1 in one of the toughest regions in all of 9 man by winning the close games on luck. it very well could have been pass interference but wasnt called and there were two refs standing right there so they must not have seen it. dont come on here and bash a 7-1 team saying they havent earned some of their wins. They've earned every victory they've had.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
ClassB-bballfan wrote:I think you are right it was pass interference but it seems like FSHP has won a lot of their close games on luck and they don't really earn some of their late season games.  They are lucky and soon their luck will run out I think. There are some talented teams they are up against now and they will fall short...real short from here on out IMO

i've noticed alot of your posts are against fshp....all their games are not won on luck, a team does not go 7-1 in one of the toughest regions in all of 9 man by winning the close games on luck. it very well could have been pass interference but wasnt called and there were two refs standing right there so they must not have seen it. dont come on here and bash a 7-1 team saying they havent earned some of their wins. They've earned every victory they've had.
Well if both of the referees were standing right there and didn't see it that doesn't say much for their ability to make a judgement call.  When fans from Finley even argree that it was pass interference it must've been bad.  We were standing right by where the play happened and saw it just as clearly as the refs did.  Thompson may not have scored had they got that call but they would've been in much better position to make a play at the end to have a chance at winning.  You hate to see a teams season end on a missed call from an official.  I don't see either of these teams beating Napoleon at home but it's still a bad way for Thompson to end their season.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:42 pm

thompson had their chances.

i don't think that one call was the difference. fshp scoring on a fake punt and a kickoff return, as well as taking a kickoff to the thompson 30 or somewhere in there with 3 minutes left in the game was the difference.

tommies had a good team. the records of the teams they've lost to is something like 43-4 combined. tighten up the special teams play and that call (or non-call, whatever you want to call it) means nothing.
rep

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:47 pm

rep wrote:thompson had their chances.

i don't think that one call was the difference. fshp scoring on a fake punt and a kickoff return, as well as taking a kickoff to the thompson 30 or somewhere in there with 3 minutes left in the game was the difference.

tommies had a good team. the records of the teams they've lost to is something like 43-4 combined. tighten up the special teams play and that call (or non-call, whatever you want to call it) means nothing.

I wouldn't say it meant nothing.  Had that call been made they would've had a first down from roughly the 25-30 instead of 4th down at the fifty.  The play mattered.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:49 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:

I wouldn't say it meant nothing.  Had that call been made they would've had a first down from roughly the 25-30 instead of 4th down at the fifty.  The play mattered.

not if they wouldn't have given up a fake punt and a kickoff return for a touchdown. if you get two touchdowns from special teams in a game, i would think it would be hard to lose that game.
rep

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:01 pm

rep wrote:

not if they wouldn't have given up a fake punt and a kickoff return for a touchdown. if you get two touchdowns from special teams in a game, i would think it would be hard to lose that game.
Well it did matter because despite those two plays Thompson was still down 4 with under a minute left and the ball.  Had FSHP converted on more then 1/6 two point conversions it would've been different but Thompson did a great job stopping them after big touchdown plays.  Thompson didn't get dominated in the game they had plenty of long kick returns and long touchdown plays too they just got a tough break at the end of the game is all I'm saying.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:07 pm

rep wrote:

Well it did matter because despite those two plays Thompson was still down 4 with under a minute left and the ball.  Had FSHP converted on more then 1/6 two point conversions it would've been different but Thompson did a great job stopping them after big touchdown plays.  Thompson didn't get dominated in the game they had plenty of long kick returns and long touchdown plays too they just got a tough break at the end of the game is all I'm saying.

granted, and i'm saying you (not necessarily you...the general you...the everyman/woman) can peepee and moan about a bad call and you are just one more sports victim who everyone is out to get or you can evaluate the game like a friggin adult and figure out what actually went wrong. i heard quite a few thompson fans complaining about the call. my first thought was if they hadn't given up two touchdowns on special teams or stopped fshp's running game at some point, it wouldn't have been an issue. i didn't get all of the yelling at the ref, two and three plays after the fact...it wasn't like he was all-of-a-sudden going to say, 'you know...you are right, what were we thinking...hang another 12 seconds on the clock and let's move the ball downfield.'
rep

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:43 am

Well there was some contact on the play...maybe P.I., maybe not. But there was no call, just like when the same sideline guy made a no-call on a pretty obvious block to the back that set up a Thompson touchdown in the first quarter, so I will say this: At least the officiating was consistent, and isnt that all you normally ask for?

Since Im not from either side but was at the game, it was my opinion they decided to let the boys play in the playoffs, and I think I liked that.

If the issue here is that THAT particular play ruined Thompson's chances, perhaps an eyebrow should be raised at the play call. A halfback pass on 3rd and 4 with the season basically on the line. That's a play that takes the ball out of your quarterback's hands.
Peterson was on a comeback to get the ball, and I highly doubt that was the designed route, but the pass was a duck. I thought that was a case of being too clever for your own good.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby klinger » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:05 am

are you talking about the pass play where cooley caught the ball in the flat and got a block and ran it in?
klinger

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:11 am

On a FOGGY night in Finley the Spartans survived and moved on to a date with Napoleon. This game was anything but ordinary for the spartans. Their passing game was almost non existant. Their defense let up alot of big plays. My hat goes off to Cooley...he is a very very good running back. Another thing that was very noticable to me was that up until the fake XP at the end of the game, for the meaningless 2 point conversion, FSHP was 0-5 on 2 point conversions. James Ihry had a ball game he is also a very very good running back.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man