9-Man First Round Playoffs

The teams in 9 Man

Postby ND Football Guy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:40 pm

I believe this is correct.  Feel free to correct if you see changes.

Tuesday - October 16th (1st Round)

TOP BRACKET

Region 3 # 1 - North Border (9-0) - BYE

Region 2 # 3 - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (6-2) at Region 1 # 3 - Oakes (5-3)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Region 1 # 2 - Edgeley-Kulm (8-1) - BYE

Region 2 # 4 - Richland-Colfax (5-4) at Region 3 # 2 - Dakota Prairie (8-1)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Region 2 # 1 - Hillsboro (9-0) - BYE

Region 1 # 4 - Sargent Central (4-4) at Region 3 # 3 - Lakota (6-2)

Region 1 # 1 - Napoleon-G-S (8-0) - BYE

Region 3 # 4 - Thompson (4-5) at Region 2 # 2 - Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page (7-1)

BOTTOM BRACKET

Region 5 # 1 - Divide County (8-0) - BYE

Region 4 # 3 - Towner-Granville-Upham (5-3) at Region 6 # 3 - Richardton-Taylor (6-2)

Region 6 # 2 - Central McLean (7-1) - BYE

Region 4 # 4 - Wells County (4-4) at Region 5 # 2 - Williams County (8-1)

Region 4 # 1 - St. John (8-0) - BYE

Region 6 # 4 - Hettinger (6-3) at Region 5 # 3 - Berthold-Our Redeemer's (6-2)

Region 6 # 1 - Mott-Regent (8-0) - BYE

Region 5 # 4 - Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood (5-3) at Region 4 # 2 - North Central Benson (7-1)
Last edited by ND Football Guy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Football Guy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Yes, Williams County's record is 8-1.  On August 25th, they picked up two wins in one day.  Trenton forfeited the game due to lack of players a week earlier.  It goes down as a 2-0 win for Williams County in region play.  And because they knew in advance the forfeit, they were able to schedule a game vs. Williston High JV  .... a game they won on Aug. 25th, 27-6. 
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 pm

i think fshp is 7-1?
rep

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 am

Looking at the brackets, Hillsboro definitely has the toughest road to the Dome.  An interesting matchup with Lakota in the second round, then they have to get through possibly Napolean and Northborder (both undefeateds) just to get to the state champioship game where they will more than likely meet up with another undefeated (MR or DC).  You are talking about 4 extremely tough opponents.  Can they do it???
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tommykramer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 am

A Lakota - Hillsboro matchup would be very interesting.  They might have to resod the field after that game!
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:46 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Looking at the brackets, Hillsboro definitely has the toughest road to the Dome.  An interesting matchup with Lakota in the second round, then they have to get through possibly Napolean and Northborder (both undefeateds) just to get to the state champioship game where they will more than likely meet up with another undefeated (MR or DC).  You are talking about 4 extremely tough opponents.  Can they do it???

Same could be said for Mott-Regent in the bottom bracket.

It would certainly seem that the new region setup has made it possible for more teams to get through the season undefeated - there were not as many cross-region games as in past years. So now we finally start to find out about the relative strengths of the regions.

For whatever it is worth, I looked up the cumulative out-of-region records of the eastern 3 regions. Here are the results:

Region 2 - 9-3; Region 3 - 7-6; Region 1 - 5-6;

So at this shallow level of research, it would appear that Region 2 is the strongest region. This would indicate that Hillsboro has a good chance to meet the challenge that ndlionsfan has pointed out.

No one has stopped Hillsboro's power running game. That running game wears down high flying offensive teams when they have to defend that power running game for drives of 10-15 plays and 8 minutes on the clock.

I think Hillsboro can make it, but there will be little margin for turnovers or injury.

Napoleon is sitting on a huge advantage in the playoffs - home field. This is an odd year so odd numbered regions get home field over even regions. Plus, if I am interpreting the NDHSAA rules correctly, when like seeds from like regions (odd or even) meet, the bottom line in the bracket it home. That would mean Napoleon holds home field all the way to the dome. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And with home team's records over the past several years, that bodes well for Napoleon.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby KennyG » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:24 pm

Hinsa wrote:

Who will Mott-Regent end up playing in the playoffs?
KennyG

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:31 pm

KennyG wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Who will Mott-Regent end up playing in the playoffs?

Ummmmm....scroll up in this topic - the whole playoff bracket is laid out in the first post.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby KennyG » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:36 pm

Who do you think they will play?  And who will test them, becuz i don't think it will be nearly as tough as hillsboros trek to the state title
KennyG

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:09 pm

I think MR is fortunate to play 2 teams from Region 4 in their first two rounds - I think they will play North Central Benson and then St. John - both very winnable games for MR. Then they will have their hands full with Divide. I don't think they get by Divide.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby KennyG » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm

I personally believe that Central McLean will give Divide County a run for their money.  They are extremely big up front and have very talented backs.  They are a sleeper team in the west.  But i also believe that the winner of the Central McLean-Divide County game will represent the West.
KennyG

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Hinsa wrote:I think MR is fortunate to play 2 teams from Region 4 in their first two rounds - I think they will play North Central Benson and then St. John - both very winnable games for MR. Then they will have their hands full with Divide. I don't think they get by Divide.

NCB and St John will not be nearly as tough for MR as Lakota and Napolean will be for Hillsboro.....that is baring any upsets in the first two rounds.  Of course when you get to the semis you're going to have a tough game no matter who you play.  They are there for a reason....
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:29 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I think MR is fortunate to play 2 teams from Region 4 in their first two rounds - I think they will play North Central Benson and then St. John - both very winnable games for MR. Then they will have their hands full with Divide. I don't think they get by Divide.

NCB and St John will not be nearly as tough for MR as Lakota and Napolean will be for Hillsboro.....that is baring any upsets in the first two rounds.  Of course when you get to the semis you're going to have a tough game no matter who you play.  They are there for a reason....

I agree with you ndlionsfan - MR, at least on paper, would have the easier road than Hillsboro. The parallel between Hillsboro and MR that I was pointing out is the number of undefeated teams they each potentially would have to beat to win the championship.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Pfenix » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:33 pm

I would have to agree that CM could make a push to the semi's.  They've come a long way as team since that opening loss to M/R, and have really found an identity as a new co-op.  But M/R has come a long way as well since that first week.  Since those back to back games against CM and RTH the wildfire's starting D hasn't given up a point, and they haven't scored less that 48 points in a game.   If those two would meet  it would be one heck of a battle, and a rematch of last years quarters.  But I'm sure neither of these teams are looking that far ahead.  It's going to be tough for CM to battle through both Divide and Williams, and M/R has two quality opponents in NCB and St John who they cannot take lightly.
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Football Guy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Tuesday - October 16th (1st Round)

TOP BRACKET

Region 3 # 1 - North Border (9-0) - BYE

Region 2 # 3 - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (6-2) - 46, at Region 1 # 3 - Oakes (5-3) - 29

Region 1 # 2 - Edgeley-Kulm (8-1) - BYE

Region 2 # 4 - Richland-Colfax (5-4) - 44, at Region 3 # 2 - Dakota Prairie (8-1) - 50

Region 2 # 1 - Hillsboro (9-0) - BYE

Region 1 # 4 - Sargent Central (4-4) - 13, at Region 3 # 3 - Lakota (6-2) - 38

Region 1 # 1 - Napoleon-G-S (8-0) - BYE

Region 3 # 4 - Thompson (4-5) - 34, at Region 2 # 2 - Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page (7-1) - 38

BOTTOM BRACKET

Region 5 # 1 - Divide County (8-0) - BYE

Region 4 # 3 - Towner-Granville-Upham (5-3) - 0, at Region 6 # 3 - Richardton-Taylor (6-2) - 36

Region 6 # 2 - Central McLean (7-1) - BYE

Region 4 # 4 - Wells County (4-4) - 0, at Region 5 # 2 - Williams County (8-1) - 32

Region 4 # 1 - St. John (8-0) - BYE

Region 6 # 4 - Hettinger (6-3) - 24, at Region 5 # 3 - Berthold-Our Redeemer's (6-2) - 48

Region 6 # 1 - Mott-Regent (8-0) - BYE

Region 5 # 4 - Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood (5-3) - 0, at Region 4 # 2 - North Central Benson (7-1) - 32
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Return to 9 - Man