9-man playoffs

The teams in 9 Man

Postby Region 2 fan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:52 pm

1)North Border
2)Dakota Prairie
3)Lakota
4)Thompson

I know that Hillsboro defeated Hankinson for #1 seed..don't know anything after that
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby homer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:53 pm

that put richland in at #4
homer

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:53 pm

homer wrote:that put richland in at #4

Dakota Prairie and Richland first round?  Any thoughts?
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 am

Richalnd knows the spread and they are well coached and have a good ground game with an effective qb to mix in some passes to keep the defense honest.

I expect a good game, every game for Richland was like a playoff game in region two this year. They are used to the pressure and have been in the playoffs for 3 straight years.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby justbrowsing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:01 am

richland wasn't in the playoffs last year
justbrowsing

Postby Hardball » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:33 am

That's correct, 6-2 and did not make it last year.
Hardball
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:36 am

I know Richland had a 22 game winning streak ended last year but I forgot they missed the playoffs when Woodbury broke his elbow.

Dakota prairie was 7-2 last year too and missed the playoffs.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:56 am

That's why I'm glad they switched back to 4 teams from each region making the playoffs this year in 9man.  DP and Richland were two very good teams last year and could have made a playoff run but never got the chance.  Look at this year if Region 2 only had 2 teams making the playoff.  I think 5 teams from that region deserve to be in the playoffs this year.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:02 am

ndlionsfan wrote:That's why I'm glad they switched back to 4 teams from each region making the playoffs this year in 9man.  DP and Richland were two very good teams last year and could have made a playoff run but never got the chance.  Look at this year if Region 2 only had 2 teams making the playoff.  I think 5 teams from that region deserve to be in the playoffs this year.

Amen, brother!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby plantefan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:03 am

No matter how the set up for playoffs is, there will always be a few teams that get screwed and a few teams that backdoor into the playoffs who don't deserve it.  Look at region two three years ago where Hillsboro got in with a 3-7 record and then two years later is arguably the best region in the state.
plantefan

Postby justbrowsing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:15 am

It's just a decision the state has to make.  You either let in more teams so every good team is in the playoffs and put up with the duds for a week, or you reduce the number of teams so every game is competitive and have good teams watching from the sidelines.  There is no happy medium.
justbrowsing

Postby Hinsa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:21 am

plantefan wrote:No matter how the set up for playoffs is, there will always be a few teams that get screwed and a few teams that backdoor into the playoffs who don't deserve it.  Look at region two three years ago where Hillsboro got in with a 3-7 record and then two years later is arguably the best region in the state.

I wholeheartedly agree. No matter what the playoff format is and no matter what the strength of your region is, you gotta win the games you have to win to make the playoffs.

Hankinson out of the playoffs is sad, but they couldn't win the games they had to. Hillsboro squeaking in with a 3-6 record a couple years ago might also be considered sad, but they won the games they had to win. And the beauty of underdogs squeaking in is that Hillsboro went down to Napoleon and scared the $%*# out of Napoleon.

There will be a team out there somewhere this year that scares the poop out of a high seed or maybe even beats them, and that's the beauty of sports - striving to win, upsets, losses, emotions running high - HEY, PLAYOFF TIME IS HERE!!!!

OK, OK, I was having a moment there......
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:22 am

ndlionsfan wrote:That's why I'm glad they switched back to 4 teams from each region making the playoffs this year in 9man.  DP and Richland were two very good teams last year and could have made a playoff run but never got the chance.  Look at this year if Region 2 only had 2 teams making the playoff.  I think 5 teams from that region deserve to be in the playoffs this year.
Yeah that would've been too bad if they only had two teams and a team like Lakota had to be on the outside looking in on the playoff picture.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:26 am

Think back to the 70's and 80's when there were only 8 teams in the playoffs with a 9-man team in nearly every small town in the state.

You made the playoffs by a power point system which had to do with strength of schedule.

you pretty much needed to go undefeated to make the playoffs, and you had to schedule the toughest non conference opponents possible.

Plus back then you could declare if you wanted to play 9-man or not, so teams like Linton, Cooperstown, Northwood, Park River, Wallhalla,  had up to 60 kids out for football playing against teams with 14 kids out.

That system was way out of whack compared to the four class system today that goes by male enrolment.

Like it or not we have a much more fair football system in place than ever before in the great state of North Dakota.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:34 am

Wow, that is crazy.  I never knew that was the playoff system in place back in those days.  I would have to agree saying that the classification right now is a lot more fair.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby homer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 pm

you are right they were 6-2 and did not make the playoffs
homer

Return to 9 - Man