Best 9 man Linemen

The teams in 9 Man

Postby Hinsa » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:56 pm

We talk a lot about running backs, linebackers, ends, quarterbacks - all the glamour boys. Let's find out who the best linemen are, and I'm talking specifically about the three guys in the middle - offensive centers and guards, and defensive tackles and nose guards.

Tell us about their height, size, and why they are special - what do they do that makes you think they are the best linemen in North Dakota 9-man.

Let's see who really knows their football!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Jake olsen- Hillsboro about 6'0 220 maybe...tough lineman gets through the line almost every play
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby AnGry PiRatE » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:03 am

I think that i'm gunna have to go with charlie crane, lance olson, nate messmer and devan laufer from mott/regent, dont get me wrong, brock gion is a great running back, but u have to give a lot of credit, these guys do a lot of work and dont get any spot light.
AnGry PiRatE

Postby Pfenix » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:25 pm

That crew from M/R is solid.  Olson, Messmer, Laufer, and Matt Dobitz play with abandon at the Guard position.  Coach Benson can sub freely between mulitple combinations cuz all four are excellent linemen .  Crane is the glue holding the whole thing together at Center.  He's not very tall (about 5'7" or 5'8" I think) but he runs the plays and does his job.  All five are 200lbs or bigger but are just as quick as some running backs.  They block really well down field and adapt very quickly to what the defense throws at them.   Did I mention  They've all been starting since they were  sophmores or freshman?  A very deep and cohesive unit.
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Pfenix wrote:That crew from M/R is solid.  Olson, Messmer, Laufer, and Matt Dobitz play with abandon at the Guard position.  Coach Benson can sub freely between mulitple combinations cuz all four are excellent linemen .  Crane is the glue holding the whole thing together at Center.  He's not very tall (about 5'7" or 5'8" I think) but he runs the plays and does his job.  All five are 200lbs or bigger but are just as quick as some running backs.  They block really well down field and adapt very quickly to what the defense throws at them.   Did I mention  They've all been starting since they were  sophmores or freshman?  A very deep and cohesive unit.

What a luxury to have a line that's been starting together for that long! I'm sure that helps Gion get yards.

Bryan Syrstad from Thompson is 6'2", 230, OL/DE that is just a bull. Strong, a good drive blocker with some speed to come off the edge from a DE position.

I'll also throw out a name from Hillsboro - Bill Breen, 6'0", 230, center/nose guard.  He gets a good push up the middle in the pass rush and holds the line of scrimmage against the run, making it possible for his linebackers to make plays.

I'd also like to hear about Napoleon's line - don't they have a pretty big horse at one of the guards?

Also, it seems like Wyndmere-Lidgerwood has some solid linemen - one is a sophomore that seemed to impress. Anyone care to chime in on that?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:40 pm

How about Dakota Prairie's line?? They start 3 juniors, Alex Vasicheck, Leland Higganbothom, and Ben Susa.  Vasicheck and Higganbothom started last year as sophmores and Susa started at a class AAA school in Misourri.  Vasicheck and Susa are the gaurds both go about 6'1 220 and Higganbothom the center goes about 6'1 260.  They work together well being all juniors.  They protect their QB Nichols and pave the way for RB severson.

On the Defensive line these 3 are very solid. Susa and Vasicheck ends and Higganbothom D-tackle.  Also adding senior d-tacke. Jeremy Bina who makes plays in the backfield all game long. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Brett Favre » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:50 pm

North Border has some pretty solid linemen, with some really good size.  Tyler Lafferty has emerged as an extremely hard hitter at the DE spot as a junior, and seniors Jayden Rollness and Pete Huttunen have been huge on both sides of the ball for them.  I believe they are both in their third years as starters on offense.  Huttunen is an extremely strong and big kid, at about 5'11'' and 280 lbs. 
Brett Favre

Postby EagleFan#5 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:35 am

Rollness is amongst the smaller linemen in the Region at 5'10 180 but I have yet to see that slow him down. There isn't a QB that NB has played against that hasn't had to deal with him because he's always in their faces!
EagleFan#5

Postby tommykramer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:57 am

Sargeant Central has a manchild playing defensive line.  He's about 6'4" 250, and is strong and fast. He was playing fullback for them on offense, but he was a mountain at defensive end.  Easily the best individual defensive lineman I have seen this year.  He is easily the best player on a a some-what football team.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Return to 9 - Man