Best Running Backs 9-man in the state

The teams in 9 Man

Postby QB_14_08 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am

What about that laducer kid from St. john . . . anyone know much about him?
QB_14_08

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 am

After seeing James Ihry and Jake Cooley run last night I've now seen 4 of the running backs named on this topic.

Lance Johannson, Lakota - Shifty speedster type back that has some of the best breakaway speed I've seen in awhile.  Johannson had 400 yards and 4 touchdowns in the regular season finale against North Border.

Jake Cooley, Thompson - Cooley is quicker then I thought he would be and is good at breaking tackles.  He's a pretty balanced running back who almost carried Thompson to a first round upset.  For the season I think Cooley ended up with around 1,300-1,400 yards and not sure on the touchdowns.

Ross Severson, Dakota Prairie - Similar to Cooley, a little bit faster in the open field it looks like.  He is the beneficiary of Seth Nichols ability as a running quarterback when DP runs the option.

James Ihry, FSHP - Of the four I was the most impressed with Ihry because of the fact he's only a Sophomore.  He's got good speed and has pretty good cutback moves in the open field.  Last night against Thompson I'm not sure about exactly how many yards he had but he had 4 touchdowns and if I had to guess at least 200 yards rushing.  This kid has got a bright future.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:26 am

Soulja_Boy2223 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Soulja_Boy2223 wrote:i don't think Ihry should be that high on the list yet. He's a good back but not top 10 yet.

umm.....do you have anything to back that up....because stats dont lie......he deserves to be up there.

Well watching and playing him the last couple years, i don't think he's on the Grothman or Gross level yet
Ihry is a sophomore so the last couple years before this year he'd be in 8th/9th grade.  No one is saying he's better then grothman or gross they are saying he deserves to be on a list of the top ten backs in the state, which he does!
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tommykramer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 am

Syverson didn't seem to do much against Richland, most of their big plays came through the air, or with Nichols running out of the pocket.

That being said, the best running back I personally have seen this year is Johannson from Lakota, and I have seen alot of the guys on this list.
Last edited by tommykramer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 am

tommykramer wrote:Syverson didn't seem to do much against Richland, most of their big plays came through the air, or with Nichols running out of the pocket.

That being said, the best running back I personally have seen this year is Johannson from Lakota, and I have seen alot of the guys on this list.

I bet Severson had 75 yards on 13 or less carries.  You have to remember it Dakota Prairie was loosing 12 to 0.  Dakota Prairie is a passing team and when they need to catch up, they are going to pass that much more.  Severson at the end of the game had two or three big 10 yard runs for first downs.  I also remember him having a 20 yarder off an option pitch on 2 and 15 that got DP down to the 25.  The next play they scored on a pass.

He also did a good job of picking up the blitz.  On every play Richland would send either #24 Johnson, #7 Besette, or #34 Enriquez.  He would have to stay in a block on every play. He made his impact on the receiving game by helping give Nichols time.  His blocking is a big reason why Nichols had time.
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Hitter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Lance Johansen is one of the best running backs in the state... his season stats are  140 carries 1600 yards and right around 22 td's thats 11.4 yards per carry.

Along with that i have seen James Irhy play he is very impressive. I was really impressed that he is only a Sophmore. I dont know if he is up there in the race for the best running back in state though.

Ross Severson is also a good running back for DP he is triple threat player with good speed. and very good hands....but the best player on that team in Seth Nichols

Gross in a hard runner with good speed. I would say either him or Johansen is the best running back in the state
Big Hitter

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:23 pm

everything you said sounds good...give ihry time and he'll be one of the best...johansens my top back in the sate with gross right behind in my opinion. i'd say ihry's at least in the topp 10i
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Hitter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 pm

I agree i think Johansen has the total package speed decent size and great moves

Gross i think is behind just a lil bit in those categories

I think Ihry is a top ten running back and maybe even top five he is a great athlete with very good size and speed, but he isn't as shifty as some of the other running backs in the state
Big Hitter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:44 pm

Big Hitter wrote:Lance Johansen is one of the best running backs in the state... his season stats are  140 carries 1600 yards and right around 22 td's thats 11.4 yards per carry.

Reid Haagenson from NCB has over 1800yds averaging over 200 a game with 23 or so TD's. Simply put there are a lot of good RB's this year, how can you pick just one.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Hitter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:
Big Hitter wrote:Lance Johansen is one of the best running backs in the state... his season stats are  140 carries 1600 yards and right around 22 td's thats 11.4 yards per carry.

Reid Haagenson from NCB has over 1800yds averaging over 200 a game with 23 or so TD's. Simply put there are a lot of good RB's this year, how can you pick just one.

Just wondering how many carries he has on the year
Big Hitter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 am

Not sure on that, I would have to say 20-25pg.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby ifoughtpiranhas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:10 am

Someone above put it best - There are a lot of great RBs in the state.

Severson, Johnassen, Grothman, McCleary, Cooley, etc....

I would have to say Johanssen is the best - Severson second.

Severson is stuck in a DP offense that doesn't hide the fact that they are going to spread you out -  take their stud QB and pass on you all day. It doens't help that Nichols has over 700 yards rushing and over 10 TD's rushing himself.

Severson has over 1300 yards this year and over 12 Tds. He is a great athlete and a great back.
ifoughtpiranhas

Postby NDinPHX » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:06 pm

Please don't forget Gion. 86 carries 1226 yards and 19 touchdowns.  That's 14.25 yards per carry.
NDinPHX

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Grand Forks Herald article.....

Andrew Grothmann 113-1,015, 20 TDs

Lance Johansen 142-1,632, 23 TDs

Mitch Laducer 127-1,135, 11 TDs

Ross Severson 107-1,211, 14 TDs

James Ihry 197-1,464, 18 TDs

Reid Haagenson 182-1,834, 23 TDs
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Looking at pure numbers, Grothmann has the lowest total in this bunch. But here's one thing that the numbers don't show - Grothmann gets his yards on dives. He's a fullback.

Averaging over 9 yards a carry on runs up the middle?

One word - WOW!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldGuy9 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:14 pm

How many yards would Johanson have if he would have been able to play into the third  and fourth quarters?  I know all the others have the same problem because of blowouts.  My Dad has been watching ND Football for 60 years and says Johanson is the best he's ever seen at the nine man level that is.
OldGuy9
NDPreps Rookie

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:04 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:Grand Forks Herald article.....

Andrew Grothmann 113-1,015, 20 TDs

Lance Johansen 142-1,632, 23 TDs

Mitch Laducer 127-1,135, 11 TDs

Ross Severson 107-1,211, 14 TDs

James Ihry 197-1,464, 18 TDs

Reid Haagenson 182-1,834, 23 TDs
Based on stats it would go:
No. 1 - Johansen
No. 2 - Haagenson
No. 3 - Severson (I know he has fewer yards and TDs then Ihry but 90 less carries)
No. 4 - Grothmann
No. 5 - Ihry
No. 6 - Laducer
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:05 pm

OldGuy9 wrote:How many yards would Johanson have if he would have been able to play into the third  and fourth quarters?  I know all the others have the same problem because of blowouts.  My Dad has been watching ND Football for 60 years and says Johanson is the best he's ever seen at the nine man level that is.
Thats a pretty bold statement but probably true with all that experience.  My question is that if your dad has been watching ND football for 60 years and you are "OldGuy9" how old are you? hahaha
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby longhornfan8 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 am

Is Johnansen a college calliber player?? do you think he will go anyware or is he just havin a really good year??
longhornfan8

Postby Big Hitter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:58 am

longhornfan8 wrote:Is Johnansen a college calliber player?? do you think he will go anyware or is he just havin a really good year??
I definately think that he can play at the next level. One knock on him is he isn't that heavy but the kid has a good build to put on muscle. I know a coulpe of colleges have already asked to have tape on him.
Big Hitter

Postby bigtuna21 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:08 pm

After the playoff game today in Hillsboro, there is absolutely NO comparison between Grothman and Johansen.  This game was out of reach in the first quarter thanks to the big boy.
bigtuna21

Postby Hinsa » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Grothmann turned his ankle on the first play from scrimmage and was limping, but still out-ran Johansen on a 77 yard touchdown run. Johansen quit pursuing at the 15 yard line.

That play summed up the game and answers the question about who is better between Grothmann and Johansen.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:05 pm

I know a lot of people on this board may not have heard much about North Borders starting tailback, Tyson Taylor after looking at the stats in the herald on Friday you wouldn't think much of him.  However, he is without a doubt one of the best blocking backs in the entire state.  A lot of the designed runs to carpenter are able to make good yards because taylor picks up the linebackers coming for carpenter perfectly and that springs him for yards.  I've also seen him numerous times during the game when the Eagles are passing the ball that he picks up a D-Linemen coming for him or a linebacker sprinting for carpenter.  Taylor doesn't get a lot of recognition in the newspapers and on this board or whatever, but he should.  People who have seen NB play more then once or twice this year realize how much of an asset he is to carpenters success.  He may not be a running back like a johanson as far as a threat to score all the time but if he's not back there next to Tanner theres no way the eagles are 10-0 and still playing right now.  He's probably one of the eagles best blockers at any position at the starting tailback position.  In the game today he had at least 5-6 plays where had he not came up and hit the guy coming for Tanner, we would've lost.  The plays he comes up big on are the ones that we usually get completions for big yards or good rushing plays for first downs or touchdowns.  I just wanted to give credit where credit is due to someone who doesn't get the recognition he deserves most of the time.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby aaronsgf » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 am

Speaking of blocking backs, I can't believe there is a better blocker than Andrew Grothmann.  His seal blocks on the outside are a big reason Smeldedn, Meyer, and now his brother, Zach, can make the corner and get alot of their yards, not to mention his straight ahead blocking.  Add this to his speed (almost tailback quality) and power, and there can't be a better back in the state. 
aaronsgf
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classb_fan00 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:27 pm

aaronsgf wrote:Speaking of blocking backs, I can't believe there is a better blocker than Andrew Grothmann.  His seal blocks on the outside are a big reason Smeldedn, Meyer, and now his brother, Zach, can make the corner and get alot of their yards, not to mention his straight ahead blocking.  Add this to his speed (almost tailback quality) and power, and there can't be a better back in the state. 

oo yea grothman is a very good blocker.
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man