Best Running Backs 9-man in the state

The teams in 9 Man

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 am

how can you say he's not top 10 when he has the second most rushing yards second to gross
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:10 am

It's crazy how Gross has more than double the carries as Gion.  Does MR have another back they split some carries with or is it just because MR has blown out most teams and Gion doesn't get many second half carries?  Gross must be the only back for Nap to get that many carries.  That's just an amazing number of carries.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 am

ndlionsfan wrote:It's crazy how Gross has more than double the carries as Gion.  Does MR have another back they split some carries with or is it just because MR has blown out most teams and Gion doesn't get many second half carries?  Gross must be the only back for Nap to get that many carries.  That's just an amazing number of carries.

Napoleon has blown out all games--except EK---so why he has that many carries is a good question.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:38 am

point/center wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:It's crazy how Gross has more than double the carries as Gion.  Does MR have another back they split some carries with or is it just because MR has blown out most teams and Gion doesn't get many second half carries?  Gross must be the only back for Nap to get that many carries.  That's just an amazing number of carries.

Napoleon has blown out all games--except EK---so why he has that many carries is a good question.

Running up the score? just a thought
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby COACHWEST » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:42 am

This topic is exactly why so many people say so many foolish things.  These kids are all great kids.  Stats do not matter!  Some coaches like to play starters longer.  Some do not believe in running up scores.  Some do not have subs to play with.  There are too many variables to try to compare.  Don't pre-judge someone if your not in their shoes.  Don't take it out on the athletes. 

Sorry to tell some of you this.......but high school athletics is not about media. 
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ocho Siete » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 am

The Schwab wrote:
point/center wrote:

Running up the score? just a thought

What?  Napolean leaving their starters in to run up the score?  I don't believe it.......................
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:47 am

COACHWEST wrote:This topic is exactly why so many people say so many foolish things.  These kids are all great kids.  Stats do not matter!  Some coaches like to play starters longer.  Some do not believe in running up scores.  Some do not have subs to play with.  There are too many variables to try to compare.  Don't pre-judge someone if your not in their shoes.  Don't take it out on the athletes. 

Sorry to tell some of you this.......but high school athletics is not about media. 

what's foolish about asking WHY Gross has so many carries compared to RBs on other winning teams such as Mott-Regent. Doesn't Napoleon have any backups? I'd agree South Border with a roster of 13 might not have the #s to give backups some reps.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:57 am

point/center wrote:
COACHWEST wrote:This topic is exactly why so many people say so many foolish things.  These kids are all great kids.  Stats do not matter!  Some coaches like to play starters longer.  Some do not believe in running up scores.  Some do not have subs to play with.  There are too many variables to try to compare.  Don't pre-judge someone if your not in their shoes.  Don't take it out on the athletes. 

what's foolish about asking WHY Gross has so many carries compared to RBs on other winning teams such as Mott-Regent. Doesn't Napoleon have any backups? I'd agree South Border with a roster of 13 might not have the #s to give backups some reps.

Are you serious?!?  How do the schools of Ashley and Wishek combined only have 13 kids out for football? 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby COACHWEST » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:01 am

Relax point/center........wasn't talking specifically to you.  It's just my opinion that rying to compare kids on the board is not a good idea.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:04 am

were not bashing any kids.....we are just asking logical questions.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:28 am

COACHWEST wrote:Relax point/center........wasn't talking specifically to you.  It's just my opinion that rying to compare kids on the board is not a good idea.

oh dont worry i'm always relaxed. it's that valium in my diet coke.

here's the skinny. Gross was on the sideline in the last segments of the two tough matchups. E-K and Oakes. I know in the E-K game Napoleon went with McCleary at tail back and I think the same thing in Oakes. So there's a # of carries that must have came in the 2nd half of wide margin victories.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Soulja_Boy2223 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:42 am

The Schwab wrote:
Soulja_Boy2223 wrote:i don't think Ihry should be that high on the list yet. He's a good back but not top 10 yet.

umm.....do you have anything to back that up....because stats dont lie......he deserves to be up there.

Well watching and playing him the last couple years, i don't think he's on the Grothman or Gross level yet.
Soulja_Boy2223
NDPreps Reserve

Postby longhornfan8 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:52 am

i would have to agree...i watched him twice and he's not quite top 10 material...
longhornfan8

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:00 am

you guys are entitled to your opinion and i respect that....so can you name 10 backs better than him?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:10 am

and give 10 guy's stats better than his
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:36 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:and give 10 guy's stats better than his

in high school football, stats are completely worthless.

for one, a kid might be the only guy getting carries on his team and you can't really compare him to someone sharing the load with one or two other guys. they are different situations, and you can't really compare those people fairly.

for two, depending on the types of games played throughout the season, be it blow outs or close games, carries will be effected.

for three, high school statisticians are unreliable. unless i'm statting a game myself, i generally don't trust any stats.
rep

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 pm

okay then i wiould like him to list 10 guys better than ihry in the state...and why
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tommykramer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Ihry needs to do it against big time competition consistently.  He's already had one game against Hillsboro where he didn't do much, and he had an ok game against Richland.  He did have good games against Hankinson and Wyndmere, but what seperates the good from the Real Good are the guys that do it consistently against great competition.  The play-offs will be a great indicator of who belongs on this list and who doesn't.  There might be some guys that show up on this list that aren't even being mentioned now.  Dewald last year had around 500 yards rushing going into the playoffs, and I don't think there is any doubt that he was one of the best backs in the state. 
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:08 pm

the only game that he did play good in was Hillsboro...but how many RB's have a good game against Hillsboro? there defense is dominant. Plus, Ihry is having a great year, in arguably the toughest region in all of 9 man, so he does play agaisnt the top teams.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classb_fan00 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:34 pm

The Schwab wrote:you guys are entitled to your opinion and i respect that....so can you name 10 backs better than him?

Severson, Grothman, Gross, Kosel,Bergrud,Cooley,Hagen,Gion,Johannson,Cooley
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:52 pm

sweet nice ones....cooley's soo good he gets counted twice ?

i dont think they are all better than him man.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:01 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:sweet nice ones....cooley's soo good he gets counted twice ?

i dont think they are all better than him man.

How many of them 10 have you seen play??  You are obviously a big Spartan fan, and thats fine.  You know Ihry well.  They have played Cooley-Thompson and Grothmann-Hillsboro so you can compare him to them.  But have you seen Gross? Gion? Severson? Johannson?  RB's like that. 

That fact of the matter is no one knows how good they are compared to eachother.  We obviously know that Grothman is the total package.  Johannson is very, very fast, strong, and hits the holes extremely hard. Severson is quick, hes got outstanding vision, and can really find the cut back lanes. I don't know much about Gross and Gion. 

I have seen Bergrud play, and I do think he is better than him for sure. 

Whats Ihry's style?? We have to remember, we are comparing a sophmore with 2 years of expierence, to players that have 3 to 4 years of expierence.  Every year you get a little more comfortable with your own ability.  Hes already at 1,000 yards as a sophmore.  Hes got 2 more years to build on this year. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:07 pm

i've seen severson and johanson....they are better than james because of thier experience of the game...all i'm saying is that i beleive that ihry is one  of the top 10 in the state... its my opinion and i'm sure if you asked some teams he's played theyd say the same thing ...maybe
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:11 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i've seen severson and johanson....they are better than james because of thier experience of the game...all i'm saying is that i beleive that ihry is one  of the top 10 in the state... its my opinion and i'm sure if you asked some teams he's played theyd say the same thing ...maybe

No i am not in doubt.  I talked to one of the Finley coaches over the summer and they said he was the teams best back as a freshman.  I would put him in my top 10. I personally think Johannson is the top back in state.
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:18 pm

as do i....with grothmann gion gross following him
Last edited by BballFan1307 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man