Best Defensive players in 9 man?

The teams in 9 Man

Postby Indagame » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:57 pm

point/center wrote:Jesse Jangula E-K has 80 tackles....and playing half-games due to the EK policy of pulling starters with big leads.

64-0.... against steele?....
Indagame

Postby gophers18 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Hinsa wrote:
tommykramer wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i was at one game of richland's and didnt even notice besette thats how little he did..however when i saw grothman play ...he made almost every tackle for the burros

That's because FSHP ran away from him every play.  They definately knew where he was every play.  He's leading the state in sacks, third in tackles and is a two time all stater, plus most teams ARE running away from him.

Where do you find statewide stats?
Ask Hankinson about Besette.  You run your offense away from him.
gophers18

Postby nicholi » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:19 pm

yeah most of the starters were pulled before halftime
nicholi
NDPreps Reserve

Postby blue steel » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:21 pm

Maybe the reason the great Jon Besette gets so many tackles is because no one else on their team can make a play. I doubt half the teams in the state have their stats into ndhsaa so that might not be the most accurate.
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Pfenix » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:23 pm

Your right.  There are a couple who haven't even posted their rosters on there.  It's not very accurate for the state as a whole.
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby homer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:42 pm

i think this is turning into a my dad can beat up your dad kind of thing your right not all the teams post their stats for what reason i dont know they are encouraged and not very far from being required to enter the teams stats from the NDHSAA i have seen both bessette and grothman play and they are both very good in their own way i dont think bringing down the rest of their own teams is the right thing to do but to each his own
homer

Postby homer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:05 pm

i guess i have too much time on my hands i checked the NDHSAA website and it is pretty poor the # of coaches who dont post their teams stats on the web dont know what the problem is but out of 50 9-man teams only 13 posted their stats and richland did and 7-0 hillsboro did not so to do this some justice maybe all the teams should post their stats so all these blogs can talk for themselves and not everybodies good friend or buddy talking for them
homer

Postby Ocho Siete » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:16 pm

imperials wrote:
Ocho Siete wrote:
imperials wrote:
Ocho Siete wrote:
imperials wrote:mccleary from napoleon is the best player in 9-man

Biggest and most intimidating?  Yes

Best?  Meh...

in the napoleon edgeley game mccleary dominated, he was a man amongst boys. and edgeley is one of the better teams in the state

That's one game...I'd still take Grothmann over McCleary.  Grothmann dominates everyone, offense and defense, since last year.

Grothmann is the better player, period.

mccleary dominates every game, i just mentioned the edgeley game because they are a good team. mccleary is better, period.......

He's just too one-dimensional to be considered the best...this all in my opinion of course, both of our opinions are biased I'm sure, looking at your name.

Hopefully they'll meet in the playoffs again...that'll be a great game.  Don't get me wrong, McCleary is great, but I feel Grothmann is just a lil better.  Only time will tell
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:30 pm

homer wrote:i think this is turning into a my dad can beat up your dad kind of thing your right not all the teams post their stats for what reason i dont know they are encouraged and not very far from being required to enter the teams stats from the NDHSAA i have seen both bessette and grothman play and they are both very good in their own way i dont think bringing down the rest of their own teams is the right thing to do but to each his own

There is truth to what blue steel said. Bessette makes most of the plays for the Richland defense because he doesn't seem to get a lot of help. That's not a shot - it's just a statement of reality based on observations.

Bessette flows to the ball very well. And when he gets there he's a pretty sure tackler. He'll definitely be all state again.

So will Grothmann. So will McCleary. So will Gion.

I haven't seen McCleary and Gion play this year so I can't comment on them. If I had to choose between Bessette and Grothmann as my first pick to put a defense together - Grothmann. No hesitation.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:36 pm

homer wrote:i guess i have too much time on my hands i checked the NDHSAA website and it is pretty poor the # of coaches who dont post their teams stats on the web dont know what the problem is but out of 50 9-man teams only 13 posted their stats and richland did and 7-0 hillsboro did not so to do this some justice maybe all the teams should post their stats so all these blogs can talk for themselves and not everybodies good friend or buddy talking for them

I completely agree with you Homer.

I wish all the coaches posted stats. I love to sift through the stats and find the hidden nuggets of information.

But don't get down on the blogging. Opinion is what makes the blogging fun - point and counterpoint. Arguing about who is best. It builds the excitement for the game where the players actually decide who is best.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby homer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:44 pm

every year at the coaches meeting and rules clinic sheryl soberg and dave carlsrud spend at least a half-hour on how to and why coaches should post their stats on the web
homer

Postby imperials » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:30 am

Ocho Siete wrote:
imperials wrote:
Ocho Siete wrote:
imperials wrote:
Ocho Siete wrote:
imperials wrote:mccleary from napoleon is the best player in 9-man

Biggest and most intimidating?  Yes

Best?  Meh...

in the napoleon edgeley game mccleary dominated, he was a man amongst boys. and edgeley is one of the better teams in the state

That's one game...I'd still take Grothmann over McCleary.  Grothmann dominates everyone, offense and defense, since last year.

Grothmann is the better player, period.

mccleary dominates every game, i just mentioned the edgeley game because they are a good team. mccleary is better, period.......

He's just too one-dimensional to be considered the best...this all in my opinion of course, both of our opinions are biased I'm sure, looking at your name.

Hopefully they'll meet in the playoffs again...that'll be a great game.  Don't get me wrong, McCleary is great, but I feel Grothmann is just a lil better.  Only time will tell

how can you say mccleary is one-dimensional, he can stop the run and the pass. against ellendale he took a pass away from peldo and out ran him on a 50 yard interception return for a touchdown, and peldo placed last year in the 100 meter dash at the state track meet.
imperials

Postby utilityman51 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:35 am

i would have to say the thompson defensive line

they have bryan syrstad and marcus bergstrom at the ends

walker martin and connor heidrich playing the nose

plus they have linebackers that hit and hit hard in jake cooley and zach waxvik and two of the fastest cornerbacks in the region in garret reineke and mavrik peterson
utilityman51

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:44 am

i dont think their defense is that good...if they were as good as you say they wouldnt be lsoing that much
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby utilityman51 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 am

defense can only do so much you have to put the offense together too
utilityman51

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:04 am

utilityman51 wrote:defense can only do so much you have to put the offense together too

I dont know about that.... In my opinion Cooley is better at RB then linebacker.  Bergstrom was good yes, but no one else stood out on the Defensive line.  How is Bergstrom doing? I heard about the injury?
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby utilityman51 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:00 am

Bergstrom is good he played on friday night against drayton valley st. thomas played both offense and defense had a sack or two and was in on most of the tackles
utilityman51

Postby WHITE » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:54 am

utilityman51 wrote:i would have to say the thompson defensive line

plus they have linebackers that hit and hit hard in jake cooley and zach waxvik and two of the fastest cornerbacks in the region in garret reineke and mavrik peterson

ya i guess your right.... especially when ur playing midway minto and drayton s/t/v
"W-H-I-T...E"
"Cram it up your cramhole LaFleur.."
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood"
WHITE
NDPreps Reserve

Postby plantefan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:09 am

I haven't seen Besette play at all this year but last year he was as one dimensional on defense as it gets.  I watched a lot of film on richland and he would walk up and blitz on nearly 80 percent of the plays.  Of course you are going to either run right under this blitz or opposite his blitz.  He is definitely a great athlete with speed and size, but to compare him with the likes of McCleary, Grothman, and Gion is ridiculous.  Those three are game changers no matter what the opposition does. 
plantefan

Postby fb_fan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:55 pm

Besette is now playing Middle backer. He did against Hankinson anyway and he still had 25 tackles. He is a lot better than what you are giving him credit for.
fb_fan

Postby plantefan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:01 pm

like I said, I haven't seen him this year and I was basing my opinion on his play over the last two years.  If he's flying around making plays like you say he is, then it was a case of not being in a position to show himself (with Woodbury there last year) to be that sort of playmaker.  I was trying more to attack the scheme of how they used him.  I wasn't trying to diminish the fact that he's a great linebacker, I just am of the opinion that McCleary, Gion, and Grothman are players who are at a level above him.  It might not be by much, but that is just my opinion.

Besette's stats look crazy and he's obviously an all-stater but what sort of numbers have other teams been putting up on richland's D?  Obviously its not a one man show I'm just curious.

One more question, how can you run away from a middle linebacker or are they using a 3-4 this year?
Last edited by plantefan on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plantefan

Postby Ron Mexico123 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Probably the three best players in that region. Hands down. No question's asked. period.
Ron Mexico123

Postby blue steel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:36 pm

Ron Mexico123 wrote:

Probably the three best players in that region. Hands down. No question's asked. period.

Amen.
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:40 pm

blue steel wrote:
Ron Mexico123 wrote:

Amen.

Sarcasm?  Maybe Bergstrom is in the top 8.  I can think of 25 players better then the rest.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ron Mexico123 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:29 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
blue steel wrote:
Ron Mexico123 wrote:

Amen.

Sarcasm?  Maybe Bergstrom is in the top 8.  I can think of 25 players better then the rest.

25 players better than speedy mavrik peterson? name them i dare you.
Ron Mexico123

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man