Best Defensive players in 9 man?

The teams in 9 Man

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:35 pm

NO WAY...it's not even close Grothmann is by far the best linebacker....by far...i'd even say in the state

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby utilityman51 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:43 pm

hey its up for discussion bballfan where r u from by the way?
Last edited by utilityman51 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utilityman51

Postby nicholi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:45 pm

Berg from E/K is a really good d-lineman
nicholi
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:45 pm

dont worry i've seen all 3 play
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby razorback » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:49 pm

well what did u see that r the differences in the three of them? (grothman, brodell and carpenter)
razorback
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:12 pm

well grothmann first of all...is huge, can cover a reciever, make any tackle and pretty much dominate a game... brodell...kind of smaller but very good tackler and can lay a good hit... Carpenter's a great tackler and his team leader....i just think that Grothman can influence the game more with his defense
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north border » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 pm

from what ive seen i dont think brodell is that great of a defensive player...he's definatley good but i think he's just a good tackler...i didnt see much reading or thinking from him...he just kinda runs around...i dont want to take anything away from his game but im just saying i wouldnt put him at the top
when man stands on toilet he is high on pot
north border
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:23 pm

ya he's not top of the state out of these two regions maybe....i'd go with bessette, grothman and carpenter for sure
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:29 pm

north border wrote:from what ive seen i dont think brodell is that great of a defensive player...he's definatley good but i think he's just a good tackler...i didnt see much reading or thinking from him...he just kinda runs around...i dont want to take anything away from his game but im just saying i wouldnt put him at the top

Are you kidding me? Thats how Brodell gets by, when your only 5'9" 150 and playing middle backer you usually have to read.  He obviously doesnt have the bulk to take on blocks like Grothmann or Carpenter.  Brodell gets by on instincts, reading the gaurds (pulling, pass block, drive block), and spying their best back.  He is so good on letting the lead blockers go right bye and then stepping in and making the tackle for a short gain or loss.  Ok so he isn't the typical middle linebacker size, but you won't find a kid with better instincts and thats able to read the play like he does.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby WHITE » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:35 pm

ya.....ur not gonna find too many 5'9" 155 lb guys that want to hit u, and hit u hard....
"W-H-I-T...E"
"Cram it up your cramhole LaFleur.."
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood"
WHITE
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:39 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:Are you kidding me? Thats how Brodell gets by, when your only 5'9" 150 and playing middle backer you usually have to read.  He obviously doesnt have the bulk to take on blocks like Grothmann or Carpenter.  Brodell gets by on instincts, reading the gaurds (pulling, pass block, drive block), and spying their best back.  He is so good on letting the lead blockers go right bye and then stepping in and making the tackle for a short gain or loss.  Ok so he isn't the typical middle linebacker size, but you won't find a kid with better instincts and thats able to read the play like he does.

ya you will, andrew grothmann, except for he's about 6'1 220
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north border » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:39 pm

i guess when u look at it that way...it just seemed like he was running around cuz no one else on his team would tackle so hed have to do it for everyone
north border
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:43 pm

true

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:45 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Are you kidding me? Thats how Brodell gets by, when your only 5'9" 150 and playing middle backer you usually have to read.  He obviously doesnt have the bulk to take on blocks like Grothmann or Carpenter.  Brodell gets by on instincts, reading the gaurds (pulling, pass block, drive block), and spying their best back.  He is so good on letting the lead blockers go right bye and then stepping in and making the tackle for a short gain or loss.  Ok so he isn't the typical middle linebacker size, but you won't find a kid with better instincts and thats able to read the play like he does.

ya you will, andrew grothmann, except for he's about 6'1 220

Im not saying Grothmann doesn't do it.  I was replying to North Border's statement saying all he does is run around and doesn't read or think.  Grothmann is a stud I never said he wasn't.  Is he the best linebacker in the state?  Most likely.  I am just sticking up for Brodell when "North Border" was saying that stuff. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby north border » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:49 pm

as for carpenter he's a true linebacker... he's got the size, the smarts, lacks a little bit in the speed department, and he can tackle...his speed is the only thing holding him back(he's gonna kill me tomorrow for saying that but i had to)

and the other kid...idk cuz ive never seen him play
north border
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:52 pm

north border wrote:as for carpenter he's a true linebacker... he's got the size, the smarts, lacks a little bit in the speed department, and he can tackle...his speed is the only thing holding him back(he's gonna kill me tomorrow for saying that but i had to)

and the other kid...idk cuz ive never seen him play

Carpenter is one of the smartest football players I have seen play in the last couple years.  Controls the game and his team.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby north border » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

im sure we r leaving some kids out there has to be more than just these three linebackers that could be towards the top

north border
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 pm

in these two regions i can only think of avarage linnebackers

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby beachy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:26 pm

north border wrote:im sure we r leaving some kids out there has to be more than just these three linebackers that could be towards the top

ya such as curtis Krump from hankinson... he plays middle linebacker or d end... he is a great tema player and is a very good football palyer from where ever he is on offense or defense...
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ocho Siete » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:37 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:well grothmann first of all...is huge, can cover a reciever, make any tackle and pretty much dominate a game... brodell...kind of smaller but very good tackler and can lay a good hit... Carpenter's a great tackler and his team leader....i just think that Grothman can influence the game more with his defense

What makes Grothmann a better player is that he doesn't only dominate through defense (he definately does though), it's also that he's usually the best offensive player on the field as well, and can easily change the game in that sense too.

Of course, this is just a defensive thread, so that didn't really matter...but it just goes to show...Grothmann is just better all-around
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Ocho Siete wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:well grothmann first of all...is huge, can cover a reciever, make any tackle and pretty much dominate a game... brodell...kind of smaller but very good tackler and can lay a good hit... Carpenter's a great tackler and his team leader....i just think that Grothman can influence the game more with his defense

What makes Grothmann a better player is that he doesn't only dominate through defense (he definately does though), it's also that he's usually the best offensive player on the field as well, and can easily change the game in that sense too.

Of course, this is just a defensive thread, so that didn't really matter...but it just goes to show...Grothmann is just better all-around

might have already been said, but has grothmann decided to play college anywhere?
rep

Postby Ocho Siete » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:40 pm

From what I hear, he's still undecided where, and which sport (football/wrestling)
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby fb_fan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:36 am

Grothman is only a Junior. He has a whole year to decide where he wants to go. The kid is a stud and he has another year left. I bet that is pretty scary for Region 2 coaches.
fb_fan

Postby Soulja_Boy2223 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:12 am

fb_fan wrote:Grothman is only a Junior. He has a whole year to decide where he wants to go. The kid is a stud and he has another year left. I bet that is pretty scary for Region 2 coaches.

and scary for region 2 players.
Soulja_Boy2223
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:24 am

utilityman51 wrote:
utilityman51 wrote:so if you are going to classify a best defensive player you have to put them into categories such as linebackers linemen and dbacks/safteys?

so for linebackers its between grothman, anderson from Dst v, brodell, carpenter and who else

for linemen as ive written before its syrstad bergstrom ostrom and who else?

for d backs you have , severson and who else?

so we have severson alone for dbacks

lineman- who gets this one?

linebackers id put it between carpenter and brodell

Linemen - Jake Olsen from Hillsboro - All-state as a junior last year, big time sack guy

D-backs - I'm going to throw out another name - Zach Grothmann from Hillsboro. Speedy, great run support, a shut-down corner.

Linebackers - you can't forget Bessette from Richland - he has to be in any discussion about linebackers.

Another d-back - Jamie Mauch from Hankinson - Safety - gets most of his recognition as receiver but plays a great safety as well
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man