Region 3 Standings

The teams in 9 Man

Postby ricky bobby » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 am

Who gets number 1 if Lakota beats North Border next week in the Alerus. Lakota, NB, and DP will all have the same record.
"If you ain't first your last"-Reece Bobby
"I'm just one big hairy American winning machine"-Ricky Bobby
ricky bobby
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:16 am

I'm guessing they have a tiebreaker in place based on point spread in head to head matchups.  Not sure what it is exactly or who would end up where, but I'm sure Lakota has to beat NB by a certain number of points to shake things up with those top 3.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND Football Guy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 am

This is from the NDHSAA Website (regarding tiebreakers) :

Play-off Qualifying: Optional Tiebreaker:

Step 1. Among tied teams, the region record (*head-to-head competitions) determines placement.
*Head-to-head competitions are defined as an overall collective record among tied teams.

Step 2. If a tie still exists:
(A). The team with the highest point differential (17-point per game maximum) among those tied teams is first. Remove the first place team from the group.
(B). Repeat Step 2A until the region record between the remaining tied teams can be used.
CASE I: A five-team tie. Step 1, compare the point differentials among teams A, B, C, D and
E. Team A has the highest point total. RULING: Team A is first. Then, the region record among the remaining tied teams, B is 2-1, C is 2-1, D is 1-2 and E is 1-2. In this case B & C are 2nd & 3rd as determined by region record with B. Play-off Qualifying:

CASE II: When teams A, B, and C are tied.

(a) Team B defeated C and A.
RULING: Step 1 would determine B to be first and the region game between C and A would determine 2nd and 3rd.

(b) If A defeated B, B defeated C and C defeated A.
RULING: Step 2-A would be used to find the top team and step 2-B, the region game between the other two would determine 2nd and 3rd.

Step 3 If a tie in point differential exists after Step 2, the names of tied teams will be placed in a hat and drawn 1st, 2nd, etc. until steps 1 and 2 can be used among remaining tied teams.
Head-to-head competition shall be used whenever possible.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby justbrowsing » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:05 am

If I understand the NDHSAA tie breaker correctly, Region 3 looks like this:

If NB wins: NB 1, DP 2, Lak 3

If Lak wins by 1 or 2: DP 1, NB 2, Lak 3

If Lak wins by 3: DP 1, coin flip

If Lak wins by 4-5: DP 1, Lak 2, NB 3

If Lak wins by 6: Coin Flip, NB 3

If Lak wins by 7+: Lak 1, DP 2, NB 3

If someone else has a better understanding of the tie breaker than me, fix my mistakes!
justbrowsing

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:14 am

DP beat Lakota 56-52 (+4) and lost to NB 32-34 (-2) leaving DP at a +2 if there's a 3 way tie.  If Lakota beats NB by 7 or more, they would be +3 (-4 +7) and NB would be -5 (+2 -7) in head to head mathcups.  That would mean Lakota would be #1, DP #2, and NB #3.  

If Lakota wins by 6 they would be +2 along with DP, but since DP beat them head to head they would be #1 and Lakota #2 and NB #3

If Lakota wins by 5 or less, DP would be #1 and Lakota #2 based on head to head with NB.

If NB wins, they take #1, DP #2, and Lakota #3

Does all this sound right??
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EagleFan#5 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:18 am

This looks confusing and complicated. I'm thinking if NB just wins it will make life alot simpler!
EagleFan#5

Postby ND Football Guy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:20 am

Wouldn't North Border be # 2, if Lakota wins by 7 points or more over North Border in final regular season game?  Case II part (b), after first place has been determined, # 2 and # 3 are determined by Region head to head regular season game, which North Border won 34-32 over Dakota Prairie.  Or did I miss something too? 
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby lloyd christmas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:50 am

the way i interpret the rule.....you're right
lloyd christmas

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:45 pm

lloyd christmas wrote:the way i interpret the rule.....you're right

The rule says use step 2-A and then go to step 2-B.  For 2-B it says repeat step A.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
lloyd christmas wrote:the way i interpret the rule.....you're right

The rule says use step 2-A and then go to step 2-B.  For 2-B it says repeat step A.

reads like stereo instructions
rep

Return to 9 - Man