North Border vs. Lakota

The teams in 9 Man

Postby toughregion2 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 am

nb is 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line  30 seconds left 40-37 lakota

toughregion2

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am

NORTH BORDER WINS 45-40 THEY SCORE WITH 37 SECONDS LEFT IN THE GAME
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby toughregion2 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:00 am

HECK OF A GAME ONE OF THE BEST IVE LISTEN TO THIS YEAR

WAIT TILL THE STAT SHEET COMES OUT ON THIS ONE

CONGRATS TO North Border  Dakota Prairie and Lakota and one great season

good luck to all in the playoffs
toughregion2

Postby Hinsa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:01 am

So what does that do to their region standings and seedings? NB #1, DP #2, Lakota #3, Thompson #4?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:07 am

Hinsa wrote:So what does that do to their region standings and seedings? NB #1, DP #2, Lakota #3, Thompson #4?

Yep, that should be it.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Brett Favre » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:49 pm

absolutely unbeileveable game to watch.  North Border has a nice lead at half, only to lose it all in the 3rd Quarter.  Then stepped it up in the 4th for the big comeback.   Great games by both teams, with many players putting up great stats.  The only players i caught on the radio was Carpenter having 345 passing yards and 4 tds. 
Brett Favre

Postby G » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:20 pm

johanneson had 380 rush yards
G
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 pm

Lakota has played in two of the most entertaining high school football games I've ever watched this season.  Early this year they played Dakota Prairie and came up short in a 52-48 win for the Knights.  Then today they played in the most significant game of the season for Region 3 considering how everyone was stacking up.  Carpenter had 345 yards passing and 4 touchdowns and 131 yards rushing and one touchdown.  KVLY had Johannson for 400 yards rushing on 33 carries for 4 touchdowns.  Either way both those kids came to play and it should make for a great playoff in nine man this year.  Dakota Prairie had no problem with Drayton-St. Thomas today, NOT that it was a shock or anything.  Thompson also put a 70-8 beatdown on Midway-Minto to give them their first playoff birth since the 2002 season.  Hillsboro also beat Hankinson tonight in Hillsboro 48-34 dropping Hankinson to 4-4 on the year. 
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ifoughtpiranhas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:15 am

A lot of us watching the gaem thought that Lakota screwed up at the end. They tried to pass the ball. I know there was was less than a minute on the clock - but they needed to let their star touch the ball. Johanssen was thrown to once on a wheel route i nthat whole drive. I woul dhave just handed him the ball. All he did all day was break 70 yard runs - I would have taken my chances there.
ifoughtpiranhas

Postby sportsperson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 am

Ok, whenever I look at stats and scores out of region 3 all I can think is, does anyone play any defense at all? I mean seriously, it's kind of ridiculous.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:46 am

Lets see your team play defense against the top four in region 3.

9-man is a wide open game speed kills if you have talent and speed you better have a good offense to put points on the board.

The old saying defense wins championships does not apply this year,

it's who has the ball last.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsperson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:51 am

Well if all these teams have such great speed on offense, and I'm just guessing here, but don't all those fast kids probably play on defense too. It's North Dakota 9-man football,everybody plays both ways. So if you're fast on offense, you should be fast on defense. Speed should cancel out speed. At least a little bit I'd hope.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers 4 life » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:58 am

Have you seen any of the top 3 region 3 teams play at all?  Because all three of them have different ways they can pick apart any defense
packers 4 life

Postby sportsperson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:05 am

And shouldn't a great defense have many ways they can shut down a great offense? Or maybe I should say, shouldn't even a mediocre defense have any way to not give up 700 yards of offense in a game? I'm just saying that from looking at the numbers, it doesn't appear that defense is any team's top priority in region 3.
Last edited by sportsperson on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby ifoughtpiranhas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:35 am

sportsperson wrote:And shouldn't a great defense have many ways they can shut down a great offense? Or maybe I should say, shouldn't even a mediocre defense have any way to not give up 700 yards of offense in a game? I'm just saying that from looking at the numbers, it doesn't appear that defense is any team's top priority in region 3.

Common sense should tell you that defense is always a priority. Yes - in ND 9-man football kids have to play both ways. I think that has a lot to do with the high scoring statewide in 9-man football. The top 3 teams in this region are all great offensive teams with offensive minded coaches - but I gurentee you they do put a priority on defense.

Bottom line you have three teams with great records.......

North Border (9-0)
Dakota Prairie (8-1)
Lakota (8-2)

Their offenses are just better than their defenses.

Any of these games could have went either way. Any of these three teams could have been 9-0 at the end of the regular season.

I went to DP vs. North Border - DP could have won that game.

I went to DP vs. Lakota - Lakota could have won that game.

I went to Lakota vs. North Border - Lakota could have won that game.
ifoughtpiranhas

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 am

sportsperson wrote:And shouldn't a great defense have many ways they can shut down a great offense? Or maybe I should say, shouldn't even a mediocre defense have any way to not give up 700 yards of offense in a game? I'm just saying that from looking at the numbers, it doesn't appear that defense is any team's top priority in region 3.

Yes they should, defense is all about athletes and speed. How a person plays in space is critical, even more so in 9-man.

What is unique about region 3 this year is they have two special exceptional QB's in Carpenter and Nichols they both have the threat to run and pass they both have a great core of recievers.

So you cover the pass the QB breaks contain and he is gone, you blitz your lbs, and crash your ends, now someone is open. Both QB's are physical specimens Nichols is 6-5 and 210 lbs with speed, Carpenter is also a big QB and mobile, tough to defend. even if your are fast and athletic on defense.  It's not like they are lining up in the "I" formation and running dives. 

Look a Boise State and Nevada same offense and they put up all kinds of points.

Now look at Lakota and Thompson, they have special running backs, Especially Johansen, from Lakota when he gets it space not many people are going to have the angle or speed to catch him. It does not take much of a block to spring Backs like Johansen and Cooly, you just have to get in a defenders way and it's off to the races.

It's the special talents of those guys that makes region three put up the big offensive numbers not so much their lack of defense. When any of these three teams play poor to mediocre teams it's lights out. They all have some single score games and shutouts on the year too.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsperson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:45 am

So you're telling me that all three of these teams have excellent defenses it's just that all of their offenses couldn't be stopped by anything less than the hand of God? I'm not trying to say that they have terrible defenses. But giving up that kind of yardage and points to anybody should not happen if you have a good defense. Should it?
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsperson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 am

And by the way, I didn't say defense wasn't a priority. I said I'm guessing it's not any of those team's TOP priority. And can you really argue with me on that one?
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby ifoughtpiranhas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:53 am

I won't disagree with you that defense isn't top priority with these teams.......

and I am not saying they have great defenses - but their defenses aren't as terrible as you're making them sound.

Their offenses are powerful enough that they don't have to make defense top priority. Defense is still important - but if you have the special kids that these teams have: Nichols, Severson, Johanssen, Carpenter, Chale, Cooley, etc... - You want to work hard to get them the ball on offense and score points. You can't argue with that. I bet you that if you asked all three teams at the top - they would all tell you that they wish their defenses didn't allow so many yards - but they are also happy they have such great records. A "W" is a "W" - especially now in the playoffs.
ifoughtpiranhas

Postby sportsperson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:01 am

Yeah, that's very true. I just think that now that those teams are in the playoffs there going to find it that much harder to win if they don't start getting some stops. Especially since this is North Dakota and the deeper you get into the playoffs the colder it gets. And from my experience, cold and snow affect a runner a lot more than a tackler.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 am

sportsperson wrote:So you're telling me that all three of these teams have excellent defenses it's just that all of their offenses couldn't be stopped by anything less than the hand of God? I'm not trying to say that they have terrible defenses. But giving up that kind of yardage and points to anybody should not happen if you have a good defense. Should it?

That is pretty much what I am saying, It would be very unlikley that any defense in the state will keep any of the three teams out of the endzone less than four times a game.

All three teams are averaging nearly 50 points per game

Dakota Prairie gives up 20.8 points per game on defense

Lakota gives up 16 points per game on defense

North Border gives up 16 points per game on defense

Those numbers seem pretty good to me.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ifoughtpiranhas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

sportsperson wrote:Yeah, that's very true. I just think that now that those teams are in the playoffs there going to find it that much harder to win if they don't start getting some stops. Especially since this is North Dakota and the deeper you get into the playoffs the colder it gets. And from my experience, cold and snow affect a runner a lot more than a tackler.

I agree. These teams are going to have to make some stops in order to keep on winning. That is for sure.
ifoughtpiranhas

Postby Braveheart » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
sportsperson wrote:So you're telling me that all three of these teams have excellent defenses it's just that all of their offenses couldn't be stopped by anything less than the hand of God? I'm not trying to say that they have terrible defenses. But giving up that kind of yardage and points to anybody should not happen if you have a good defense. Should it?

That is pretty much what I am saying, It would be very unlikley that any defense in the state will keep any of the three teams out of the endzone less than four times a game.

All three teams are averaging nearly 50 points per game

Dakota Prairie gives up 20.8 points per game on defense

Lakota gives up 16 points per game on defense

North Border gives up 16 points per game on defense

Those numbers seem pretty good to me.

It happened today
Braveheart

Previous

Return to 9 - Man