best qb?

The teams in 9 Man

Postby sapp_jr_99 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:29 pm

wow, i kinda find that hard to believe. He being the best quarterback in quite a few years. You could be right though, i havent seen him play.
sapp_jr_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:53 pm

[user=4691]DCalum35[/user] wrote:
Where did you hear that NDSU and UND were looking at Wisthoff?  Maybe UND but I'm pretty sure he couldn't cut it at NDSU playing either tight end or D-end.

Both NDSU and UND would love to have Wisthoff both have been recruiting him, pretty much has to decide which one he wants to go to right now. So if both coaches are interested in him I'd say he could cut it with either team.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby fb fan 4 life » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Wisthoff was Mr. Everything for Glenburn this year. I think teams had to know where he was at all times whether it was offense or defense. He will be a fine collegiate player wherever he goes I'm sure.
fb fan 4 life

Postby grizzfan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Seth Nichols                             regular season                 50 tds

1st round                             7tds

2nd round     [glow=lime]any guesstimates?[/glow]
Last edited by grizzfan on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grizzfan

Postby Brett Favre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:03 pm

I really feel that Nichols is so good he should get up around 17 touchdowns this week!!   No one in the world can even come close to stopping him.  He has way to many weapons....
Brett Favre

Postby grizzfan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 pm

Brett Favre wrote:I really feel that Nichols is so good he should get up around 17 touchdowns this week!!   No one in the world can even come close to stopping him.  He has way to many weapons....

Thats a pretty bold guesstimate :shock: . . . i am gonna have to disagree however and say something more like 5
grizzfan

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:10 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Nichols is definitely something special on the football field.  He's definitely got better at completing passes as this season has progressed.  When he played in Walhalla I can clearly remember 4-5 passes that he was back in the pocket, no pressure on him and had a guy open but just missed him.  It was either over his head or short of the receiver.  I caught a lot of heat from my comments after that game but that was the second game of the year so naturally he's going to take some time to get all his timing and his throws down.  His stats are incredible but one thing I would like to know is what are Tyler Luehrings stats as a receiver for them.  Only a sophomore and I remember in the Lakota game he had 3 straight 50+ yard touchdown receptions during the start of DP's comeback.  I have to think that he is the beneficiary of many of Nichols touchdown passes.  As far as picking Nichols or Carpenter as a better Quarterback I think it's too close to call.  Both have proven to be clutch and able to come through when there team needs them.  Carpenter against DP and Lakota, Nichols against Lakota and Richland.  Both have good arms and are able to run the ball well.  Nichols relies more on his pure speed and athleticism, Carpenter his head more and has to elude the defenders better.  Both are probably going to take the field against each other again in the 3rd round of the playoffs too. 

Luehring's stats are posted on the best wr forum.  40+ catches with 700+ yards and 15 touchdowns.
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby Brett Favre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:26 pm

i dont know man...from the sounds of this board this kid is pretty good.   I dont think 17 td's is too far fetched of a guesstimate
Brett Favre

Postby G » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Nichols is definitely something special on the football field.  He's definitely got better at completing passes as this season has progressed.  When he played in Walhalla I can clearly remember 4-5 passes that he was back in the pocket, no pressure on him and had a guy open but just missed him.  It was either over his head or short of the receiver.  I caught a lot of heat from my comments after that game but that was the second game of the year so naturally he's going to take some time to get all his timing and his throws down.  His stats are incredible but one thing I would like to know is what are Tyler Luehrings stats as a receiver for them.  Only a sophomore and I remember in the Lakota game he had 3 straight 50+ yard touchdown receptions during the start of DP's comeback.  I have to think that he is the beneficiary of many of Nichols touchdown passes.  As far as picking Nichols or Carpenter as a better Quarterback I think it's too close to call.  Both have proven to be clutch and able to come through when there team needs them.  Carpenter against DP and Lakota, Nichols against Lakota and Richland.  Both have good arms and are able to run the ball well.  Nichols relies more on his pure speed and athleticism, Carpenter his head more and has to elude the defenders better.  Both are probably going to take the field against each other again in the 3rd round of the playoffs too. 

after watching both players in a few games i would say there arms are pretty much the same...carpenter is on a whole different level when it comes to knowing the game and breaking down defenses...nichols has more speed when he gets out of the pocket where carpenter has to rely on his blockers more then his speed when he gets out...carpenter usually makes his big passing plays from the pocket whereas nichols usually gets his big plays from scrambling which brings the coverage up and he hits his wideouts deep...carpenter has a better group of receivers...and after saying all that my deciding factor is going to be 2 drives...dp is losing by 2 points to north border...nichols is driving dp down the field and with thirty seconds left he turns the ball over on downs giving north border the win...nb is losing by 3 points to lakota with 6 minutes left in the game on their lakotas forty yard line...carpenter drives north border to within the 3 yard line with 3 minutes left...he gets them a first down on the 2 and runs 2 and a half more minutes off the clock before getting the td...giving nb the win...this made it easy for me to pick which ones better but i dont know what u guys think

G
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 pm

G wrote:[user=1019]north_border_eagles2106[/user] wrote:
Nichols is definitely something special on the football field.  He's definitely got better at completing passes as this season has progressed.  When he played in Walhalla I can clearly remember 4-5 passes that he was back in the pocket, no pressure on him and had a guy open but just missed him.  It was either over his head or short of the receiver.  I caught a lot of heat from my comments after that game but that was the second game of the year so naturally he's going to take some time to get all his timing and his throws down.  His stats are incredible but one thing I would like to know is what are Tyler Luehrings stats as a receiver for them.  Only a sophomore and I remember in the Lakota game he had 3 straight 50+ yard touchdown receptions during the start of DP's comeback.  I have to think that he is the beneficiary of many of Nichols touchdown passes.  As far as picking Nichols or Carpenter as a better Quarterback I think it's too close to call.  Both have proven to be clutch and able to come through when there team needs them.  Carpenter against DP and Lakota, Nichols against Lakota and Richland.  Both have good arms and are able to run the ball well.  Nichols relies more on his pure speed and athleticism, Carpenter his head more and has to elude the defenders better.  Both are probably going to take the field against each other again in the 3rd round of the playoffs too. 
after watching both players in a few games i would say there arms are pretty much the same...carpenter is on a whole different level when it comes to knowing the game and breaking down defenses...nichols has more speed when he gets out of the pocket where carpenter has to rely on his blockers more then his speed when he gets out...carpenter usually makes his big passing plays from the pocket whereas nichols usually gets his big plays from scrambling which brings the coverage up and he hits his wideouts deep...carpenter has a better group of receivers...and after saying all that my deciding factor is going to be 2 drives...dp is losing by 2 points to north border...nichols is driving dp down the field and with thirty seconds left he turns the ball over on downs giving north border the win...nb is losing by 3 points to lakota with 6 minutes left in the game on their lakotas forty yard line...carpenter drives north border to within the 3 yard line with 3 minutes left...he gets them a first down on the 2 and runs 2 and a half more minutes off the clock before getting the td...giving nb the win...this made it easy for me to pick which ones better but i dont know what u guys think
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 pm

G wrote:[user=1019]north_border_eagles2106[/user] wrote:
Nichols is definitely something special on the football field.  He's definitely got better at completing passes as this season has progressed.  When he played in Walhalla I can clearly remember 4-5 passes that he was back in the pocket, no pressure on him and had a guy open but just missed him.  It was either over his head or short of the receiver.  I caught a lot of heat from my comments after that game but that was the second game of the year so naturally he's going to take some time to get all his timing and his throws down.  His stats are incredible but one thing I would like to know is what are Tyler Luehrings stats as a receiver for them.  Only a sophomore and I remember in the Lakota game he had 3 straight 50+ yard touchdown receptions during the start of DP's comeback.  I have to think that he is the beneficiary of many of Nichols touchdown passes.  As far as picking Nichols or Carpenter as a better Quarterback I think it's too close to call.  Both have proven to be clutch and able to come through when there team needs them.  Carpenter against DP and Lakota, Nichols against Lakota and Richland.  Both have good arms and are able to run the ball well.  Nichols relies more on his pure speed and athleticism, Carpenter his head more and has to elude the defenders better.  Both are probably going to take the field against each other again in the 3rd round of the playoffs too. 

I don't know about their arms being the same.  I have seen Carpenter play 4 times this year.  Some games I wasn't impressed with his arm at all.  I personally think Nichols is a better quarterback.  I really do.  Hes got it all, size, speed, and arm strength. 

One throw that really stands out to me was against Richland.  He put a perfect over the shoulder catch for Luehring on the sideline.  It was about a 30 yard flag. There were about 5 yards from the sideline and Nichols dropped it in between the sideline and the defender.  Luehring made a heck of a catch.  Jumped, landed, and drug the foot. 

I havent seen Carpenter make the sideline to sideline throws like Nichols.  Carpenter can throw it deep. So can Nichols.  Carpenter can throw the bubble.  So can Nichols.  Its the 10 and out on a bullet that Nichols throws better.  He also throws the flag route to the sideline better. 
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby G » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:34 am

ive never seen north border even run those types of routes... so i dont think you can say that cuz carpenter never gets a chance to make those kinds of throws
Last edited by G on Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
G
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:01 am

G wrote:ive never seen north border even run those types of routes... so i dont think you can say that cuz carpenter never gets a chance to make those kinds of throws

Well I am just using it as an example.  Its routes that your going to have to throw in college.  He can make them throws.  Thats all I was saying.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:12 am

Here are Nichols official stats posted in the Grand Forks Herald today.

Nichols 135-194, 2,389 yards, 43 TDs and 99-782, 12 TDs.

pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:13 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:Here are Nichols official stats posted in the Grand Forks Herald today.

Nichols 135-194, 2,389 yards, 43 TDs and 99-782, 12 TDs.

Here are Carpenters offical stats posted in the Grand Forks Herald today.

Carpenter 88-139, 1,759 yards 21 TDs and 158 carries for 1,050 yards, 15 tds.

Nichols completion percentage - 70%
Carpenter completion percentage - 63%

Nichols Yards per carry - 7.9 YPC
Carpenter yards per carry - 6.65 YPC

Nichols touchdown passing stats are incredible but with an offense like DP has they could've handed it off to severson 50-60 more times and got him 15 more touchdowns too.  But, what Magner has done has worked for them so why question it.  Both these quarterbacks are good and capable of putting up big numbers and if they meet again next week in Pembina we'll find out who the better QB is.  Most of what QB's get compared on is winning.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Hitter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:07 am

I am not taking anything away from Seth Nichols I think he is the best qb but a long shot but on more than one time i have seen in the paper him hookin up with a reciever for a td in the 4th Quarter when they are up big. So idk if they don't have a back up or if magner just likes to boost stats?? Any thoughts
Big Hitter

Postby pakkyzoo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Big Hitter wrote:I am not taking anything away from Seth Nichols I think he is the best qb but a long shot but on more than one time i have seen in the paper him hookin up with a reciever for a td in the 4th Quarter when they are up big. So idk if they don't have a back up or if magner just likes to boost stats?? Any thoughts

The only games hes played into the fourth quarter of was Lakota, Thompson, and North Border in the regular season. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby adriana » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Althoff from Hankinson will be one to watch in the next couple years...he's only a sophomore but his QB instincts are amazing.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportfan4life » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:12 pm

it also helps that all he had to do was throw it up in the general area of mauch
sportfan4life

Postby adriana » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 am

A good wide receiver doesnt make a good quarterback...they both have to do their part....and in return they both look good.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:56 am

sportfan4life wrote:it also helps that all he had to do was throw it up in the general area of mauch

i'm going to agree with you sportfan.. when he played fshp he didnt really make any excellent throws, most of the plays his wideouts (mauch, krump, and hangaard) just ran straight and deep and he threw it up and they caught it
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ocho Siete » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:08 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
sportfan4life wrote:it also helps that all he had to do was throw it up in the general area of mauch

i'm going to agree with you sportfan.. when he played fshp he didnt really make any excellent throws, most of the plays his wideouts (mauch, krump, and hangaard) just ran straight and deep and he threw it up and they caught it

He played an exceptional game in Hillsboro then...he was on target on nearly all of his throws, especially shorter ins/slants, which you can't really just throw it there, WR's don't have enough time to get under it.
Ocho Siete
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:00 pm

ya when they played hope he didnt throw many like that...just deep bombs or just a little dump off pass

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby web17 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:11 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
Big Hitter wrote:I am not taking anything away from Seth Nichols I think he is the best qb but a long shot but on more than one time i have seen in the paper him hookin up with a reciever for a td in the 4th Quarter when they are up big. So idk if they don't have a back up or if magner just likes to boost stats?? Any thoughts

The only games hes played into the fourth quarter of was Lakota, Thompson, and North Border in the regular season. 

them and those three teams were the playoff teams in the region....this region really was stacked this year.
web17
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:15 pm

web17 wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:

them and those three teams were the playoff teams in the region....this region really was stacked this year.
Region 3 in football this year was a lot like District 4 in basketball last year.  The top four teams were really good and the bottom four weren't so great.

Top 4 in basketball
M-M
NB
Grafton
Park River

Bottom 4 in basketball
Valley Edinburg
Drayton St. Thomas
Cavalier
Fordville-Lankin

Top 4 in football
NB
DP
Lakota
Thompson

Bottom 4 in football
AEE
Drayton St. Thomas
Midway-Minto
Central Valley
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man