Mid-season performers....

The teams in 9 Man

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Whose having a good year so far half way through the year that could be looking at a place on the all state team??? Stats included please....... (if you dont know esitmate)
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:05 pm

i'm going to say....James Ihry ...and i know he's a sophmore but...he has somewhere around   550- to 600 yards rushing... and about 10 or more td's

and just throwing this one out there dillan ostrom both offensively and defensively has been playing great football

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nordstde » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Does anybody know if the players selected for All-State actually get looked at on tape or in games? All people talk about is stats, stats only tell you so much about a player.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsperson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:12 pm

It's funny that you ask that people include stats when you ask for possible all-state canidates. When coaches bring stats to the all-state selection meeting other coaches laugh at them. You might not believe that but I've heard it from multiple coaches who have attended this meeting for years. And that's because the coaches know that stats don't mean jack. What if a great team only has to play their starters for a half or even just a quarter before they get pulled. Their guys are probably some of the best in the state, but they probably don't have very good stats. And then there's guys on terrible teams that are probably still playing in the fourth quarter against the other team's third string or something when they are getting blown out. Not too hard to rack up the stats that way, is it?  Stats are nice to look at, but rarely reliable enough to base an opinion on, at least not at this level.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 pm

sportsperson wrote:It's funny that you ask that people include stats when you ask for possible all-state canidates. When coaches bring stats to the all-state selection meeting other coaches laugh at them. You might not believe that but I've heard it from multiple coaches who have attended this meeting for years. And that's because the coaches know that stats don't mean jack. What if a great team only has to play their starters for a half or even just a quarter before they get pulled. Their guys are probably some of the best in the state, but they probably don't have very good stats. And then there's guys on terrible teams that are probably still playing in the fourth quarter against the other team's third string or something when they are getting blown out. Not too hard to rack up the stats that way, is it?  Stats are nice to look at, but rarely reliable enough to base an opinion on, at least not at this level.

Dude, all I was wondering is who you think is having a good season so far.  Trust me I know all about that, I have been there.  I just wanted to compare, for example if Ihry has 500-600 yards and i heard some where that Groos from Napolean is around 700.  Thats all I wanted to do.  

Personally I think the all state should be made up of leaders, kids that prove they want the ball in their hands when its the 4th quarter and our up one TD or Down one TD...
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:28 am

Reid Haagenson of NCB will probably make one of the all-state teams this fall.  He is a very good running back and is the main focus of their offense, but he's even more valuable on defense.  He is their team leader and one of the best linebackers in the state.  I'm guessing he will be all-state on defense before offense.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Brady Langan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:56 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Reid Haagenson of NCB will probably make one of the all-state teams this fall.  He is a very good running back and is the main focus of their offense, but he's even more valuable on defense.  He is their team leader and one of the best linebackers in the state.  I'm guessing he will be all-state on defense before offense.
he didn't really do anything against us when we played them
Brady Langan

Postby EagleFan#5 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:11 am

Heres a little food for thought from the GF Herald yesterday....

-- North Border: Senior quarterback Tanner Carpenter is the catalyst for an Eagles team that was Class A 11-man last season. The coach's son is 43-for-64 passing for 907 yards and 12 touchdowns. He's also got a team-high 432 rushing yards, scoring seven touchdowns. His top receivers are Dustyn Chale (14 catches, 296 yards) and 6-foot-4 Mike Smith (10-256).
EagleFan#5

Postby rep » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:30 am

gross is at about 750 rushing on the season, kosel from edgeley is at about 680. i'm guessing they'll be in the running in some way/shape/form as will mccleary, probably on defense. maybe tyler berg for edgeley...seems like he is a decent defensive lineman.
rep

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 am

EagleFan#5 wrote:Heres a little food for thought from the GF Herald yesterday....

-- North Border: Senior quarterback Tanner Carpenter is the catalyst for an Eagles team that was Class A 11-man last season. The coach's son is 43-for-64 passing for 907 yards and 12 touchdowns. He's also got a team-high 432 rushing yards, scoring seven touchdowns. His top receivers are Dustyn Chale (14 catches, 296 yards) and 6-foot-4 Mike Smith (10-256).

Carpenter will be all-state this year
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:39 am

Brady Langan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Reid Haagenson of NCB will probably make one of the all-state teams this fall.  He is a very good running back and is the main focus of their offense, but he's even more valuable on defense.  He is their team leader and one of the best linebackers in the state.  I'm guessing he will be all-state on defense before offense.

Maybe he didn't have a great game running the ball, but I can guaratee he probably had 15 or more tackles
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Heres the top performers in region 3. Grand Forks Herald article

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50676&section=sports

Dakota Prairie

Senior quarterback Seth Nichols, like Carpenter, is a two-way threat. The Knights will run a spread offense, going with three or four wideouts. Nichols has completed 66 of 97 passes for 1,131 yards and 16 touchdowns while also rushing for 456 yards. Ross Severson is the top ballcarrier with 630 yards on the ground. Mitch Brodell is Nichols' favorite target with 18 receptions, good for 422 yards. 

Adding to Dakota Prairie, Tyler Luehring WR 10 receptions with 345 yards and 6 td's.

North Border

Senior quarterback Tanner Carpenter is the catalyst for an Eagles team that was Class A 11-man last season. The coach's son is 43-for-64 passing for 907 yards and 12 touchdowns. He's also got a team-high 432 rushing yards, scoring seven touchdowns. His top receivers are Dustyn Chale (14 catches, 296 yards) and 6-foot-4 Mike Smith (10-256).

Lakota

The ground game is led by Lance Johansen. The senior, despite missing the season opener, has rushed for 571 yards and eight touchdowns. James Olderbak, who has made the conversion from running back to quarterback in his senior season, is 15-for-24 for 268 yards and five TDs and also has rushed for 165 yards. Tyson Ackerman (five catches, 129 yards) leads a balanced receiving corps.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:57 am

Brady Langan wrote:

Just read in the Minot paper today that he has 740 yds rushing through 4 games.  Still think he doesn't deserve to be considered for all-state???
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:58 am

Andrew Grothmann from Hillsboro will make all-state, not sure whether it will be offense or defense. He's leading the team in rushing and had 2 key plays that exemplify his talent in the Wyndmere-Lidgerwood game last week:

Play 1 - 3rd and 15, Hillsboro runs a dive, and he drags 4 guys for the first down plus 10 more.

Play 2 - 1:00 left in the game WL driving for the winning score, he intercepts a pass to preserve the win.

He's the real deal and he's still only a junior.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsfan4323 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 am

Not saying he will be all-state but alex althoff the sophmore QB from hankinson. He has over 1,000 passing yards already and 14 passing touchdowns.  Jamie Mauch from Hankinson he is a great receiver and i think could make almost any quarterback look good.  Zach Puetz of Wyndmere-Lidgerwood he is the heart and soul of that team and is a great scrambling quarterback.
sportsfan4323
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:38 am

so this might sound like a dumb question..but who do you guys think is better Mauch or Ostrom, Ostrom has 7 td's receving and has been great on defense...i dont know much about Mauch though.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassB-bballfan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:34 am

Ostrom is a good athlete but he doesn't compare to Mauch in my opinion.  Mauch is a strong leader in every sport he plays.  He is more dominate on and off the field or court.
ClassB-bballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:38 am

BballFan1307 wrote:so this might sound like a dumb question..but who do you guys think is better Mauch or Ostrom, Ostrom has 7 td's receving and has been great on defense...i dont know much about Mauch though.

Jamie Mauch is a WAY better reciever...he has the credentials to back it up.....Dillan is good, but Jamie Mauch is on a whole other level.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ClassB-bballfan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:42 am

well said ...I agree
ClassB-bballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:21 am

ClassB-bballfan wrote:Ostrom is a good athlete but he doesn't compare to Mauch in my opinion.  Mauch is a strong leader in every sport he plays.  He is more dominate on and off the field or court.

i didnt ask about every sport he played. i asked if he was the better receiver. How can you say ostrom is not a leader. when fshp needed somebody to step up and guard mauch.. he did it. he had 2 picks. and took away the long ball from mauch. while catching two td's as well. i'll say mauch maybe be better.. but not as drastically as you guys think
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 am

BballFan1307 wrote:
ClassB-bballfan wrote:Ostrom is a good athlete but he doesn't compare to Mauch in my opinion.  Mauch is a strong leader in every sport he plays.  He is more dominate on and off the field or court.

i didnt ask about every sport he played. i asked if he was the better receiver. How can you say ostrom is not a leader. when fshp needed somebody to step up and guard mauch.. he did it. he had 2 picks. and took away the long ball from mauch. while catching two td's as well. i'll say mauch maybe be better.. but not as drastically as you guys think

Dillan is a leader on and off the field. He did step up big against hankinson, BUT Jamie Mauch is a much better wide reciever. This is no slam against Dillan because Jamie Mauch is arguably the best wide out in the state on any level.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 am

Last edited by BballFan1307 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:33 am

BballFan1307 wrote:very true. i was just looking at stats like receiving td's ostrom has 7 and mauch had 5 until their last game..i didnt catch how many he had.
Dillan has always been a good wide reciever, but up until this year not many people knew it. Teams will now start game planning on how to stop Dillan. On the other side teams have been game planning for mauch for the last 2+ years. Both good wide outs, both have to be respected. The lack of planning for a wide out like dillan or jamie is going to have negative results.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:34 am

nice schwab. you goin to be at the game friday?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:37 am

Yep
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to 9 - Man