Best Coaches

The teams in 9 Man

Postby sportsperson » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:33 pm

I've seen this topic in a lot of other forums so let's see what people think. Who are some of the best coaches in 9-man football?
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby sapp_jr_99 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Bob Brown in my opinion. Very respected by his team, and old players.
sapp_jr_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby nordstde » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm

First off I couldn't agree more with sapp jr. Bob Brown is an amazing coach and an even better person. He is also assisted by Nate Nelson, who could coach almost any team in the state. A couple more that come to mind are Todd Kosel and Randy Klusmann from Edgeley, they do a great job. Dave Laber from Napoleon is another, but I heard he might have stepped down, I guess we'll have to see about that one. One coach that is very underrated though, Tom Nesvold from Westhope. He does an awsome job every year by putting together a tough, hard-nosed team with very few numbers and he is also a great guy.

nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 am

I'll agree with Kosel and Klusman, you have to give them a load of credit for putting a well prepared team on the field every game of every year. They squeeze every bit of talent and desire out of those kids....and have done so for years. How many co-coaches could operate that long and have that much success?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby sapp_jr_99 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:21 am

I would also agree on the edgely coaches, and Tom Nesvold. I think Coach Nesvold can take any nine guys in the state and make a good team.  Nate Nelson is also another good one, but he needs to give linemen credit once in awhile haha. Just kidding on that, he's a good guy, and coach.
sapp_jr_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:15 am

Garret Magner from Dakota Prairie has done a fine job, I believe he has made the playoffs 3 out of four years, last year missing the playoffs but finishing 7-2.

He has had good talent and a good coaching staff but he seems to mould his offense around the different talent he has each year.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:05 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Garret Magner from Dakota Prairie has done a fine job, I believe he has made the playoffs 3 out of four years, last year missing the playoffs but finishing 7-2.

He has had good talent and a good coaching staff but he seems to mould his offense around the different talent he has each year.

is he a better football or baseball coach?
rep

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 am

I know he coached the Nelson County legion team this summer and I heard they did not do so well but that's all I know about his baseball coaching.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby WHITE » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:24 pm

his high school team went to the state tournament and finished 5th in 2005
"W-H-I-T...E"
"Cram it up your cramhole LaFleur.."
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood"
WHITE
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Gtowngamers » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:42 pm

I second the motions on Bob Brown and Nesvold, both seem to have teams that reload rather than rebuild, although i think Nesvold has his work cut out for him this year.
Offense wins games, defense wins championships...
Gtowngamers
NDPreps Reserve

Postby player10 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:49 pm

I personally think that bob brown and nate nelson do an excellent job up in Divide Co. It seems like they are good every year.
Last edited by player10 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
player10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nordstde » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Bob Brown took over at Divide in 1993 I believe. The year before he came there, the team only won one game I think. The next year they made playoffs. In his 13 or 14 years there, they have missed the playoffs only once, and that year they went 5-3. He has guided his team to two State Title appearances, winning it all in 1998. Also has had 5 Final Four teams and 8 or 9 region titles, and that region used to be one of the best in the state every year. His team gets almost no media attention or support from out of towners, but he doesn't care, and neither do his players. In fact, thats what fuels them. They are constantly picked against. Here is a good example of that. The Minot Daily News always picks the playoff games each week in the area. And combined between their 2004-2006 playoff runs, they played in 10 games. The paper picked them to win two of them, their record in those games is 7-3, losing the Semi's twice and getting stomped by Richland in the 2005 championship. Anyway, I just though that was a good little tidbit to chomp on.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby rook » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:57 pm

yes i completely agree with u on every bit of that nordste , bob and nate are great coaches, and they respect every other team
rook
NDPreps Reserve

Postby G » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 pm

not best coach but maybe coach of the year...st. johns head coach...he really turned that program around this year

G
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 pm

G wrote:not best coach but maybe coach of the year...st. johns head coach...he really turned that program around this year

what's his story/background? thought i read somewhere that he was originally from st. john? don't know too much about the guy, but he's sure had a heck of a run this year.
rep

Postby G » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 pm

rep wrote:
G wrote:not best coach but maybe coach of the year...st. johns head coach...he really turned that program around this year

what's his story/background? thought i read somewhere that he was originally from st. john? don't know too much about the guy, but he's sure had a heck of a run this year.

idk either it just impressed me how he got his team to come back from a 2 win season to have this much success
G
NDPreps Starter

Postby plantefan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:40 am

I know its his last year this year but Randy Vigen from CV has to be mentioned. 
plantefan

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:51 am

I thought I heard that Nesvold is going to coach the new Football program at MSU Bottineau
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 am

Mark Rerick has done an excellent job at Hillsboro.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:30 am

Jeff Carpenter from North Border.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justbrowsing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:34 am

Darwin Rutledge is the new Lumberjacks coach.  He's been heavy into recruiting all fall long.  That's going to be a tough couple of first years, but he'll be benefited by not having to play any upperclassmen.  A team full of freshmen won't be such a big deal against other jucos.
justbrowsing

Postby Wombat » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 am

Yeah, i was going to mention Jeff Carpenter from NB also. Perenial 9-man play-off team, Jump up to 11 man and gets placed in a region where most of the road games are over 200 miles away, makes the playoffs in 11 man and is one dropped pass in the endzone away from the state title game (It was a very nice defensive play to hit the receiver and force the drop from what I've heard) Then gets thrown back down to 11 man and is currently undefeated this season. That's good coaching.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby G » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:04 am

i dont think magner is much of a coach...if he was a good coach his team wouldnt fumble the ball 9 times in a game and he wouldnt have to try to act like the most immature person on the team...after watching one of his games i was really disappointed on the way he acted...he treated the refs and his kids like crap
G
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:26 am

G wrote:i dont think magner is much of a coach...if he was a good coach his team wouldnt fumble the ball 9 times in a game and he wouldnt have to try to act like the most immature person on the team...after watching one of his games i was really disappointed on the way he acted...he treated the refs and his kids like crap

Ya ok so they had 9 fumbles, they won the football game.  Forget about it, its a new week. They will fix it.

How can you say Magner is not a good coach??  5 years ago Dakota Prairie moved down to 9 man from 11 man.  The previous 5 years you can count how many wins they had on your town hand.  He was just graduated from college and a first year coach.  He led the DP team to the first playoff birth ever and finished the season 9-2.  The next year he went 9-3. The next year 8-3.  The next year 7-2.  This year he is 10-1 so far.  He has made the playoff's 4 out of 5 years.  In the summer he sets up a weight program for the kids.  3 days a week the boys lift.  He took over a program that was nothing and has built it into a contender for the region every year.  How can you say hes a bad coach?? His record has looked pretty good so far.

Sure he can get carried away with a bad call or get mad at a player.  But what coach doesn't??  If you didn't get mad or frusturated then you wouldn't be doin your job. He might show emotion a little more than other coaches.  I personally feel that his players feed off his emotion. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:26 am

I think yoooour immature.

his teams do some strange things at times  with penalties, turnovers, and players out of postition on defense.

but playoffs 4 out of 5 aint bad.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to 9 - Man