Favorite offense

The teams in 9 Man

What is your favorite style of offense

Power ( Run 90% of the time)
35%
Option (Wishbone, Veer, Spread Option,ETC.)
15%
Spread ( Shotgun Pass Happy )
33%
Ace (Single back Zone blocking QB read on pass)
3%
Misdirection (Wing "T", Double slot or Wing, Jet motion offense.)
15%

Total votes : 40

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 am

I have my favorite,, and strong opinions on how a high school football offense should be run. But I would like to hear others opinions
Last edited by GRIDIRON GURU on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:40 pm

love the, 'hear we come, try and stop us' offense (aka napoleon-esque). mix in a few passes i suppose, but playing outdoors in this state, i'll never quite understand how teams can pass it 30 times in 20-degree weather.

but then, watching richland's spread o a couple of years ago, they were able to pull it off (something i thought would be nearly impossible until they got to the dome).

also, as a former center, i absolutely hated shotgun snaps. i was the king of the rainbow (or the one-hop shin buster) and would snap the ball and listen for crowd noise while going into my blocks to figure out if it got there or not. i'm amazed i didn't give myself an ulcer over it.

besides, i have yet to meet an offensive lineman that likes pass blocking (except for the counter boot...love pass blocking there if you are the one to get out and lead the qb). run blocking is where its at.
rep

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:08 pm

Anybody remember the offense that New Rockford-Sheyenne ran in 2004 to get them to the state title. I think Cudworth threw for over 2,500 yards that year and Belquist had 1,000 some receiving yards.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsperson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:20 pm

baller01 wrote:Anybody remember the offense that New Rockford-Sheyenne ran in 2004 to get them to the state title. I think Cudworth threw for over 2,500 yards that year and Belquist had 1,000 some receiving yards.

And then they got hammered in the state championship by an Edgeley-Kulm team with a much more conventional, run first offense in the dome no less.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:43 pm

sportsperson wrote:
baller01 wrote:Anybody remember the offense that New Rockford-Sheyenne ran in 2004 to get them to the state title. I think Cudworth threw for over 2,500 yards that year and Belquist had 1,000 some receiving yards.

And then they got hammered in the state championship by an Edgeley-Kulm team with a much more conventional, run first offense in the dome no less.

Haha actually they got beat by Linton who ran a heavy power offense. I believe Carr threw 5 passes the whole game. A couple which were screens.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:23 pm

Power, Spread, and Option are my favorites.

I love watching teams that have big hogs up front and just try running it down peoples throats.

I love watching the spread with a QB that can throw the ball and has good athletes at WR. Tough for some defenses to match up that way.

Option I love cause you have to have heck of an athlete at QB, I love watching a well executed option play.

I hate the Wing T
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sapp_jr_99 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:10 pm

baller01 wrote:
sportsperson wrote:

Haha actually they got beat by Linton who ran a heavy power offense. I believe Carr threw 5 passes the whole game. A couple which were screens.

Ya they lost to Linton in 03 and lost to Edgely in 04
sapp_jr_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:09 am

rep wrote:love the, 'hear we come, try and stop us' offense (aka napoleon-esque). mix in a few passes i suppose, but playing outdoors in this state, i'll never quite understand how teams can pass it 30 times in 20-degree weather.

but then, watching richland's spread o a couple of years ago, they were able to pull it off (something i thought would be nearly impossible until they got to the dome).

also, as a former center, i absolutely hated shotgun snaps. i was the king of the rainbow (or the one-hop shin buster) and would snap the ball and listen for crowd noise while going into my blocks to figure out if it got there or not. i'm amazed i didn't give myself an ulcer over it.

besides, i have yet to meet an offensive lineman that likes pass blocking (except for the counter boot...love pass blocking there if you are the one to get out and lead the qb). run blocking is where its at.

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!!

No linemen like to pass block, what happens in North Dakota come sept. and oct. its cold, windy and wet! Pretty hard to win down the stretch if you live by the pass.

Ask Dakota, Prairie how a passing offense works when they played Lakota Last year on a cold wet windy night.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby homer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 am

you can pass and run both with the spread in 05 richland passed for 1900 yds and 29 tds  and ran for 2500yds and 34 tds. richland and tri-county passed for over 500 yds on a crappy cold windy day in the semis so if you got the personel you can do it
homer

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:28 am

homer wrote:you can pass and run both with the spread in 05 richland passed for 1900 yds and 29 tds  and ran for 2500yds and 34 tds. richland and tri-county passed for over 500 yds on a crappy cold windy day in the semis so if you got the personel you can do it

Exactly, Nichols passed for 1,800 and ran for 500 while Severson ran for 1300 out of the spread offense.  DP used to be a double wing team, but the shotgun spread has really helped the team out in my opinion.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:35 am

pakkyzoo wrote:
homer wrote:you can pass and run both with the spread in 05 richland passed for 1900 yds and 29 tds  and ran for 2500yds and 34 tds. richland and tri-county passed for over 500 yds on a crappy cold windy day in the semis so if you got the personel you can do it

Exactly, Nichols passed for 1,800 and ran for 500 while Severson ran for 1300 out of the spread offense.  DP used to be a double wing team, but the shotgun spread has really helped the team out in my opinion.

The spread definatly has a place in 9-man it does just what it says it spreads out the defense and opens up the running game just as well as the pass.

Here is my beef with the spread though...you pretty much have to pass to open up the run on a wet cold rainy night there are a ton of things that are stacked against you.

#1 wet ball = bad snaps

#2 no misdirection- very easy to defend the run because you can always see the ball.

#3 you must have studs to run it QB, RB, Center, Receivers

#4 It's a non agressive style of play, you don't pound on the defense to wear them out.

#5 If you can't pass the defense has  few keys to defend the run

#6 No ball control, you either go 3 and out, lose yards on a bad snap or sack, throw and interception, or end up scoring on a big play wich puts your defense on the field a lot.

You can give me the Richland Tri county argument all you want but they would have been the top two teams in the state running any offense that year. Plus Richland is more of a spread option team I would consider them a running team not a passing.

The spread offense is the fad now since Urban Meyer has has so much success with it over the last few years and winning a national championship with it this year. I have come to dispise the offense I do not find it fun to watch and bad teams are horrible!... example Valley City 0-9.

I like to refer to the spread as the punt offense.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:28 am

Oh come on Gridiron.  I would think you would like some of the stuff Meyers does.  When Tim Tebow came in he ran a lot of stuff that came from the old single wing.  and its that single wing that gave rise to the Double Wing.

ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:13 am

Yes, I do like the single wingish stuff that Meyer does, absolutely, and thing is I hate Florida,  I was more of a fan of it when he was at Utah.

I miss watching in your face veer option teams, wishbone, and the Big Red Offense from Nebraska of the Tom Osborne era.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby RB/LB 34 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:58 pm

Veer options coupled with a power running package is great. Allows you to run inside and outside and you can even go with some misdirection. Add some play-action passes to that, and it's golden.

But if you have the personnel (a good QB and a couple of WRs), then the spread can be very effective.
RB/LB 34
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsperson » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Last edited by sportsperson on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby homer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:51 am

05 was richland and divide county richland ran the spread and racked up a dakota bowl record 543 total yds 269 rushing 274 passing
homer

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:38 am

That was a special team with some good coaching no doubt.

Last year they were more run oriented and the coach moulds the offense around the players not the players to an offense.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby homer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:55 am

I think you can mould the players to an offense but you have to have time to do it start them young and make sure they believe in it richland payed the price the year before winning the last 3 or 4 games of the season after they started the spread and fine tuned it to perfection it was also their defense that kept them on the field  
homer

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:08 am

I can't say that I am a fan of any one offense as the poll suggests.  Depending on the kids that show up in the fall dictates what plays we will spend the most time on.  When we have a pro type QB (tall and good thrower/not great runner) we will throw a little more on traditional running downs.  When we have a good HS QB (athletic but not great as a runner or thrower) we will incorporate more QB run stuff and boot more.  When we have a player in the QB position who is a leader but not an athlete we work great fakes, misdirection and push to get three or four players multiple touches so that we don't have a feature back.

More important than a QB is the lines ability or limitations.  Are we effective pullers?  Can we pass block for 3-5 seconds?  Are we going to be able to out physical opponenets?

I would love to live in a one back set and motion an H type back into and through the formation to set up blocks and still have all of the two back options.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:14 am

That is a very sensible way of looking at how to mould an offense around your personnel from season to season.

nice.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Billy Asp » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:30 pm

I like the spread if you have good hands catching it and a smart quick-reflexed qb. And D can sometimes be hard to stop it.
-Asp
Billy Asp
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Billy Asp » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 pm

ImageGO HANKINSON!!!
-Asp
Billy Asp
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Brady Langan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:22 pm

i love power football it shows iff you got a strong line and bruising backs
Brady Langan

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:47 am

It also shows if you don't.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:54 am

The best offense is run when you have them outmanned in the box, throw when they have you outmanned in the box.

A defense can't scheme to take every thing an offense does away, if they try they will lose.  So if you are a one dimensional offense (i.e. run straight ahead every play or air it out every play) you will be a lot easier to stop.  yes you can tell me that Napoleon won by being a power team, but I will argue that this years team was a lot better because they had Grunnefelder as a recieving threat.

Unfortunatly, it is not the x's and o's its the jack's and the joe's.  And if the other teams jack's and joes's are better it doesn't matter how good your x's and o's are.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to 9 - Man