Quarterfinals- What to Watch

The teams in 9 Man

Quarterfinals- What to Watch

Postby ChickenNuggets » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:23 pm

Wow! Round 1 did not disappoint! The #1 overall seed goes down. The #4 overall seed had to fight for their playoff life! Many others were close until the end as well! Here come the Quarterfinals. If you thought the 1st round was exciting, this round only has half the games, but should pack twice the electricity!

Nelson County (6-3) @ North Prairie (9-1)
Nelson County is coming off the week 1 upset over #1 overall seed Sargent County. This is a team that many people said to watch out for all year long and a few even predicted this outcome. I did not predict it, but was not completely surprised by it. It's been said that Region 2 is likely the strongest region in the state and they showed it winning 3 of 4 playoff games in round 1. Unfortunately for Nelson County, their win gives them a rematch of one of the top teams in their region and in the state, a return trip to North Prairie where they played just 3 weeks ago. North Prairie hosted Nelson County in the second to last regular season game and doubled them up 40-20. Now, rather than going on the road to Sargent County, they get to play the quarterfinals at home. That has to be a boost for any team. Weather at this time of the year can sometimes change things. It is looking like this could be a cold and possibly wet game with a current predicted high of 25 degrees with moisture in the forecast for later in the week. I think this actually plays well for the home team who is more of a pound it out type of team that makes their hay in the trenches. This should be another real fun game to watch, but I'll take the Cougars to win by two scores.

Grant County- Flasher (8-2) @ #4 Westhope-Newberg-Glenburn (10-0)
Last week I said that I thought Linton-HMB likely was the best team hat WNG had played all year and based on the back and forth slugfest on Saturday, I think I was right. Grant County-Flasher finished 2nd in the region that Linton took 4th and did beat Linton by 4 points early in the season. So forgive me for stating the obvious, but I think this GC-F team is the best team that WNG is going to have seen all year when they take the field on Saturday. Both of these teams have tremendous playmakers at quarterback. I would expect this game to go back and forth just like last week's game did. Gametime forecast calls for low 20's with possible snow on the ground from Thursday/Friday, but doesn't look like there will be precipitation on Saturday. I think GCF might be a more physical team that could pound the ball, but I also think that WNG has one of the absolute most dynamic players in the state. Flip a coin for this one... I did and It came up heads for the home team. I'll take WNG in a 1-score game.

LaMoure-L-M (8-2) @ #3 New Rockford-Sheyenne-Maddock (9-0)
Somebody please go check the light bulbs in the NRS Scoreboard, because they might all get lit up on Saturday! LaMoure hung 64 on North Star last week in their first round playoff game. NRS put up 55 and If I'm not mistaken, they all came in the 1st half against Hankinson before calling off the dogs in the 2nd half. LaMoure is not a team to sleep on. They have a winning pedigree and have a ton of playoff experience and success over the past couple years. NRS, however, has been playing like they are on a mission this year. Both offenses can put up huge numbers so this one might come down to who can play some defense. LaMoure has given up 56 and 59 in their two losses this year. I'm not sure they'll be able to shut down this Rockets offense. I'll take NRS by a pair of TD's in this one.

Hettinger County (7-3) @ South Border (10-0)
Kudos to Hettinger County as they were just one of two teams along with Nelson County to go on the road in Round 1 and get a win with their OT Victory over Alexander. This sets up a region 4 rematch with South Border in the Quarterfinals. South Border won the first meeting 55-18 in a game that was played at Hettinger County. This time South Border has home field advantage. Of the four playoff games this week, I think this one is the least competitive and I would expect South Border to win in similar fashion to the first time that these two met earlier this season.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Quarterfinals- What to Watch

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:27 am

South Border is a little banged up after their last win. (I know every one is dinged up at this point in the season) They have 1 starter on crutches (knee) and one in a walking boot (ankle). Hopefully they will both be able to play on Saturday.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 am

Agree with all your takes, but I'm going to go with GCF over WNG in a tight game. I think Region 2 and 4 flex their muscles this weekend and stand out above the rest.

NP, GCF, NRSM, and SB all pick up wins.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:49 pm

North Prairie by 18
W-N-G by 2 (score in the 50s)
NR-S/Maddock by 12 (also high scoring)
South Border by 30
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tigertown35 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:22 pm

I am fairly confident about NP, NRSM, and South Border advancing into next week.

I have absolutely no idea about GCF @ WNG.
tigertown35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sorenson23 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:22 pm

North Prairie by 20
Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn by 8
New Rockford-Sheyenne-Maddock by 18
South Border by 30+
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TC21 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:19 am

North Prairie by 22
South border by 32
New Rockford by 24
Grant County by 2
TC21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:53 am

I'll take
North Prairie by 14
WNG by 18
New Rockford by 21
South Border by 26

It will be interesting to see how the weather affects these games, especially the games played up north.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TC21 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:10 am

Ya I heard westope covered their field and Rolette’s trying to get snow off today. Not sure if South borders are in Rockford field. Got any snow.
TC21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Thundersnow » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:27 pm

North Prairie 36-20
Westhope 48-42
LaMoure 50-48
South Border 42-14
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby OdessaAardvark » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:38 pm

NRS-M
South Border
WNG
Nelson Cty

Weather/Field conditions play roles in all of the games (except South Border) from what I can see on the radar, so I think the scores will be lower than expected.
OdessaAardvark
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:59 am

TC21 wrote:Ya I heard westope covered their field and Rolette’s trying to get snow off today. Not sure if South borders are in Rockford field. Got any snow.

Wishek and Ashley got snow last night (game is in Wishek). Not sure what they are doing to get the field ready.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:51 am

New Rockford and Lamoure are now playing in Casselton. Any other changes?!
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:53 pm

sportsphenom wrote:New Rockford and Lamoure are now playing in Casselton. Any other changes?!

According to the NDHSAA website, the other three games are going to be played as originally scheduled.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:40 pm

Flip wrote:
sportsphenom wrote:New Rockford and Lamoure are now playing in Casselton. Any other changes?!

According to the NDHSAA website, the other three games are going to be played as originally scheduled.

Middle location and a turf field...nice switch instead of playing in nearly a foot of snow
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to 9 - Man